#1741 lanesteele240

lanesteele240

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Full Name:Gary Steen

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

DJ Mooneyzs a skritchin and scratching. This is artwork. You should be proud of your work

#1742 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Gary.... haha... Thanks man I really appreciate the kind words about this build. I have to tell you that I am very proud of this build so far and will be the best build I have done to date when completed.

So I sorta worked on my Butterfly Steering Wheel Attempt #1 on and off for a few hours this evening and well it started out good but I was not happy with the outcome and didn't even try finishing it. I will have to start Attempt # 2 tomorrow night. The process I am doing works good, I just didn't get my cuts straight like I should have and aborted trying to save this piece and will attempt at another one. I would really like to get and try the micro marks photo etch do it at home set to try but little hesitant on it, Or I would like to learn how Mark (scale master) does his acid etch process. I think one of those two ways would be the best to get the part perfect.

Anyway here is the process and how far I got tonight....

I started out again drawing the part in my Solidworks CAD program, printed the part and glued the template to my .010" thick brass sheet:

DP-Army-Vega2731-1_zps07843116.jpg

Next I cut the part away from the sheet:

DP-Army-Vega2734-1_zpsf961d9a2.jpg

Here is How far I got with the cutting out process. I took the back of my xacto knife with a straight edge to scribe a guide line in. then I took my razor saw and slowly sawed away the pieces. I wasn't happy with the center section as I wasn't able to get it completely straight like I wanted, so the reason I will be redoing the part:

DP-Army-Vega2739-1_zpsfacb6566.jpg

Then for Giggles I decided to bend the steering wheel into shape to see what it would look like:

DP-Army-Vega2740-1_zps129f4689.jpg

Its not that bad but I wasn't 100% happy with this first try. so I will go back and redo it again.

#1743 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Excellent handle Chris. What size are drilled holes? Iknow what you mean about the sand, it is a pain but its worth it. Also I notice that you used solidworks to draw out you handle. What program is this Is it available and can anyone use it?

Hey Steve.... sorry about not answering your question earlier. the hole size I drilled in the fuel shut off lever was with a #78 drill bit which is .016" in diameter. yes the sanding can be a pain on tube chassis but your right its worth it. SolidWorks is a 3D CAD program. I have an old 2005 version. I really want a new one but they are quite pricey. There is a couple of free ones out there I believe. I know of a 2D CAD program called Draft Sight which is a sister program to the main SolidWorks and you can download DraftSight for free. I have heard of a few other people that have downloaded Google Sketch up for a 3D program and I believe that one is free too. I have been using CAD programs since College but I think anyone would be able to use it after going thru some tutorials and learning the basics of it. may take a little bit to get up to speed but can be done.

Hey Mike... thanks for the kind comments. I tried giving you a call today but didn't leave a message. was just wanting to catch up with ya.

#1744 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

good stuff Chris, can't wait to see it finished!

#1745 F/C NUT

F/C NUT

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Full Name:STEVE

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Thanks Chris for the info. I appreciate it. I'll look around and see what I can come up with. Steering wheel  looks good.

#1746 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:37 AM

Bill thank you my friend. You make the brass work look so easy ;) i was actually consideing trying to make the butterfly wheel out of 3 pieces and soldering it together lol

Steve... you are welcome. Gonna shoot you a PM

#1747 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

Well guys I just wanted to give a quick update even though I don't have pics to share I have been making progress. I have gotten some more primer on the front axle and spindles and it's getting closer to being ready for some Alclad. My biggest hurdle at the moment is sanding the chassis. I have been sanding the primer prepping it for one more coat of primer before paint and I have to tell you that it has been kicking my butt. I have been cutting thin strips of sandpaper to be able to sand every tube of the chassis. It's really time consuming and can't wait to have it done. Hoping to have some more photo updates for you soon.

#1748 sflam123

sflam123

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Your patience and attention to detail is beyond my ability to comprehend!  Sanding every tube on the chassis?  UNREAL!!

#1749 mysterj1

mysterj1

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Full Name:Joe

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

Chris,

I'm going to be up front and say I've never wanted to see anyone's progress so badly!  I'm chomping at the bit to see the frame ready to go to the paint booth -I guess I can say I'm a styrene junkie when I get so motivated for primer lol

#1750 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:34 AM

Sflam.... thanks man. I am sandind the primer on every tube of the chassis because it gives a better surface for the paint to lay down on.

Joe....thanks.... I can't tell you how bad i want to see this in paint myself. I am so ready and have been for a long. time to get the chassis painted. Once I do. I Will be able get it in a rolling chassis stage really quick. I am hoping to possibly have paint on this in a week to two weeks. This weekend is pretty much out for me working on it because I will be at the NHRA Arizona Nationals at Firebird and hoping to get alot more reference pics as well.

#1751 DPink

DPink

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Full Name:Daniel Pink

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I found this thread the other week and started at the begining. Im finally at the end!!! This is some AMAZING work!!!!!

#1752 vintagedragfan

vintagedragfan

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Davis

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:36 AM

yea Chris we are all waiting patiently bro!!

#1753 GoatGuy

GoatGuy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Ryberg

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Amen to that, and we're waiting to hear what you got to see at Firebird Raceway today. Wish I could have been there.

#1754 Magic Photos

Magic Photos

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Garland

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hope you 2 had fun at Firebird, now get back to this build.LOL

#1755 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Full Name:John Pol

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Been watching this built just amazing Chris hate to see how much you have in this project so far but its like its really worth it. I have question for you like to make my own coil springs for the back of a olds I`m doing for customer. What would the best way to make them? Also I have printer plate need to make brackets for ladders for the rearend. What do you use to cut it and shape it? I hope you don`t mind me asking this questions but it seems to me you have the knowledge to scratchbuild them. By the way keep up the good work.

John Pol

#1756 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Daniel.... Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to go thru all of the pages. I know there is a lot to go thru on this build. I am looking forward to the day when I can say its done so I can move onto my next build lol.

Bill.... Thanks bud....I need to get my butt in high gear and get this one done.

Dave.... Thanks bud. I had a blast at the races this weekend and took as many pics as I could. I think I got around 3400 pics lol. I got a few of Erica's car but one of the crew guys didn't wanting me taking any pics of under the car. So after that I didn't even try to get pics of the passenger side with door off but I did see some of the electronics sitting there. Wish I could have gotten that pic but did hear that she is supposed to be switching to the new camaro body.

Mike... Thanks my friend... I will be strapping myself at the workbench for a while on this build now because I need to finish it.

John.... I have quite a bit into this build so far and it will be worth it when I complete it. At the moment I have somewhere around 650 hours in the build. I do not mind at all if you want to ask question. Feel free any time.

As far as coil springs go,you go do them a few different ways. One by using styrene tubing or you could go the route of using brass or aluminum tubing. Which ever you go with you will want to use telescoping tubing....a smaller size that slides into a larger size. For springs you could wrap bare wire around tubing to create the springs or you could use springs from a ball point and cut to size too.

For the printing plate I either cut it with scissors, a photo-etch cutter or I take my xacto and either scribe it with the back of the xacto blade or the blade part of it. I would possibly consider using a little thicker aluminum or brass for the brackets for the ladder bars if weight from the car will be on them. Not saying you can't use the printing plate. I have a pair of tamiyas phot-etch bending pliers that I typically use to bend any type of thin metal but I have also used pliers as well. Just make sure the pliers have smooth faces so you don't gouge the material. Don't be afraid if it doesn't turn out right the first time, you can always make another if you arent happy with it and you will get the hang of it. I would even consider making a template out of a 3x5 card to give you an idea of the shape to cut out. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Guys I am hoping to possibly get a little bench time in tonight but we will see. I will be back on this build this week.

Edited by Mooneyzs, 25 February 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#1757 John Pol

John Pol

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Full Name:John Pol

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Do you use a dremel tool alot for shapeing to

#1758 gtx6970

gtx6970

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Allphin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Cking in,

and don't forget to do the youtube video when you fire it up :D

#1759 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

John... i do use my dremel but i will have to say everything so far on this build has been done by hand with files, razor saw, sanding sticks and xacto knife. Some of it would of went faster with a dremel lol.

Bill... wouldnt that be cool to see it fire up lol

Edited by Mooneyzs, 26 February 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#1760 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,839 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

Well fellas I think I can say I am pretty much done sanding the chassis and it's ready for a little bondo in a few spots and then I can squirt one last coat of primer on and prep for paint. This will be a huge milestone to put behind me.