Model Cars Magazine Forum

Some more progress on the Oldsmobile Truck--rooftops anyone?

Biscuitbuilder

At long last, I get to try my hand at building a roof for this cab. I decided early on to try and build it up pretty much the same way that the real one was done, with a wooden frame around it, bent wood bows, and with wooden slats laid fore-and-aft on top of that. Masking tape (my favorite top material) will get the call for finishing it off:

Here's a look:

Bending the soaked basswood strips over a curved surface (OK, so an antipersperarant package had the shape I needed!):

OldsmobileTruck21-vi.jpg

Starting the assembly of the framing, along with the front bow. At this stage, the side rails and front & rear headers have been carved to shape, with a reinforcing rib glued to the inner side of each header:

OldsmobileTruck22-vi.jpg

All the bows installed. At this stage, I've already block-sanded the bows and headers, to give them a smooth transition to each other:

OldsmobileTruck23-vi.jpg

And, voila! A completed roof structure sitting on top of the cab for the first time! Finally, after 20 years, this thing just might make a truck:

OldsmobileTruck24-vi.jpg

Biscuitbuilder

Guest zebm1

Intricate work...and when yu get thru with thatun, I got all these wood parts for a 1/32 Wiking Dragonship, just a-waiting for tha Master's mimetic skills. :mrgreen:

Zeb

Very cool project, Art. I will look forward to seeing that one done. It looks like you overcome a problem that was halting progress and you will now speed your way to completion!

Andy,

Dunno if I will "speed" this one to completion--having to stop and figure out just how I am gonna work out each part of it as it goes along, not to mention the rather delicate nature of things such as that roof structure.

Biscuitbuilder

All these guys waiting to see the finished product !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you will have it finished in just over a month, right Art ? For some reason the number "4" comes to mind. Perhaps it is a date from some month ? May, for instance ? LOL

bob

Or years? Bear in mind, I started on this project only a couple of months ago, about April, 1987 to be exact! Yup, 'tis true--it's been 20 years since I built up the basic frame for this one. Lotsa things got in the way, most of them off the radar screens, not the least of which were a need back then to "Sieg Heil" the Wifenfuerher I was unfortunately married to, and the more direct problem of simply getting into a project WAY over my head at that point in time.

Oh well, I have, for years, used Orson Welles to describe my way of building models: "I will finish no model before its time" 8)

Biscuitbuilder

can't wait to see it done very nice. :)

Hey Chopster! Good to hear from you! Perhaps it will be much closer to finished by Good Guys at O'Reilly Raceway Park (used to be Indianapolis Raceway Park) in Clermont IN (only a stone's throw from Indy, BTW) in June.

Mebbe we will see you and the Bondo there?????????? (I hope?)

Biscuitbuilder