#241 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

The '77 Firebird Esprit conversion I was building for a friend is done and I'm back on the "Little Old Lady" Dodge full-time now. The body is red and polished out , the engine is nearly completed, the interior IS completed, and the chassis is well on it's way. (I'm considering the crazy thought of using the Jo-Han '64 Polara 500 body instead, just to be different, if the Lindberg 330 interior will fit right. I don't want to use the crude Jo-Han interior. I have photos of one of five Super Stock '64 Polara 500's out of 153 Super Stock cars Dodge built for 1964, and it's shiny and RED!), I hope to get some photos posted soon.

How is everyone else doing? Any updates?

#242 W-409

W-409

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts
  • Full Name:Niko Lindström

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Not much done since the latest updates, but I guess it's time to get back building these soon, when I finish two fast builds first. They have a tight Deadline, so they make my other builds stalled for a moment.

#243 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

I know how that is. As soon as I lifted the deadline from this CBP, all the other ones WITH deadlines seemed to take precedence! I have at least half a dozen other CBP's I'm building for myself too.

#244 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Been along while since i done an update, heres the van iam building for the the song chevy van, you can look back at my post.
Posted Image

#245 mr moto

mr moto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts
  • Full Name:Manuel J. Martinez

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Hey, I didn't know that about David Clayton Thomas singing lead for Ides of March! I

That's because it's not true. There was no conection between The Ides of March and BST and they made that clear on stage because a lot of people who heard "Vehicle" on the radio would say that they were using the BST horn section and they wanted to stop that rumor. I heard them live more than once back in the day. Pretty good band until they would do "Vehicle" - then they were killer!! They just couldn't follow up that hit. Their singer was Jim Peterik who was later in Survivor.
http://theidesofmarch.com/bio/

#246 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Darrin: The "Chevy Van" looks fantastic! so far. You're a lot closer to being done than I am. So, are you thinking some groovy murals on that bad boy?

Manuel: Yeah, I did a little personal research into that, and found the info that was given on here wasn't right. I didn't want to make a big thing about it at the time, but thanks for setting the "record" straight :lol: . Just running Survivor's "Eye Of The Tiger" through in my mind, I can definitely hear the voice. It would have been nice if Ides Of March had charted with more songs. "Vehicle" shows the kind of potential they had. Here's a link to the band's Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia...._of_March_(band)

#247 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I finally got around to taking a picture of where I am on my "Little Old Lady" Dodge. I'm a little further along now, since I managed to get a couple of hours in on it this evening after taking this photo. I got this kit as a part of a load of unbuilt models, partial built-ups, supplies, and several parts boxes that I got from a guy who was leaving the hobby about a decade ago. I found that this kit had the MCG photoetch set with it so I decided to try it out. The dashboard bits were a a pain in the tuchus, but the grille went into the kit grille surround/bumper easily. I just had to polish it out and curve it to the right shape. Anyhow, here's the body and interior so far:

Posted Image

I'm still toying with the idea of substituting the old Jo-Han '64 Ploara body for the Lindberg 330. I have a couple of photos I took at a car show last summer of one of the five Super Stock Polaras Dodge bolted together back in 1964, so I thought I could do a replica of that car. Too bad the Lindberg 330 interior is so much better than the old Jo-Han Polara stuff.

#248 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm moving forward with the 330 body, but I haven't quite given up the thought of the Polara. The MCG photoetch grille wouldn't fit the Jo-Han grille surround, even if I wanted to go through the trouble of cutting the molded-in grille out of it. As of this evening, I've made some decent progress on the car, and hope to have it done over the weekend. The engine is together and wired, in the chassis, and it's on it's wheels. (I realize blue ignition wires aren't right for a 60's vintage build, but it's what I had on hand and I want to get this one finished!) I couldn't wait to see how my computer-generated 1964 California plates looked on it, so I went ahead and mounted them up. I forgot to mention that, figuring that the "Little Old Lady" is the practical sort, she ordered her car with the bench seat - I used the seat from the Jo-Han Polara, since the upholstery pattern matched! In true 1960's style, she's got rough-cast mags on the front with steelies in back.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next up: BMF. I can hardly wait... <_<

#249 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Well, I finally got it finished! About 13 months after I started, it's DONE! I pushed my personal envelope with this one, with mixed results. I tried out a few things that I either haven't done in the past (kitchen foil instead of BMF since the last 3 sheets of BMF that I've bought don't stick worth a darn!), or have rarely done (engine wiring and photoetched trim). Anyhow, with no further ado, may I present "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYxPgFUjDpA

And now that you're in the proper frame of mind, here's the model:

Posted Image

The photoetched grille was a lot more fragile than I expected. I wound up breaking one grille bar out of it completely and breaking a couple more of them loose at the bottom. A lot of guys love to use photoetched details, but they take a lot of work to get them to look right. I got frustrated with the fiddly little letters for the hood and deck lid, so I went with the kit supplied decals for those emblems instead.

Posted Image

In back, you can see that the photoetched Dodge "Fratzog" went on OK, as did the Dodge naeplates on the quarter panels. I blacked those out with a Sharpie before polishing them with a polishing cloth while still on the fret. It highlighted the raised lettering and surround while leaving the recessed areas that are black on the 1:1 car black. The license plates are computer generated replica 1964 California tags with the exact colors and typeface. I found the guy who makes them on eBay - a set of 5 pairs cost $2, and got him to make me some personalized plates for other builds at $1 per pair. How cool is that?

Posted Image

I don't wire too many engines, but I had to do this one. I got this kit in a package deal over a decade ago and it had the pre-wired distributor and the photoetch fret in the box. I did my research - the coil IS supposed to be chrome!

Posted Image
The interior was done as closely to the standard color scheme as I could do it with the research I could do on it. The photoetch set had a full instrument panel for the dashboard, complete with gauge surround and printed gauge faces. The shift lever is one of my homemade straight pin jobs, and the turn signal lever is a piece of polished piano wire with a paint blob knob on the end.

Edited by CorvairJim, 22 April 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#250 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Very nice

#251 MoparManiac318

MoparManiac318

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Full Name:David Turner

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

Great builds everyone :) if its not too late I would like to join the build with "little Duece Coupe" by the Beach Boys. I have already started building the Revell 32 Ford 5 Window Coupe. Here is the link to my "On The Workbench" post for my build: http://www.modelcars...showtopic=57776

Edited by MoparManiac318, 03 May 2012 - 01:35 PM.

#252 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,451 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Looks great Jim! Well done.

#253 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,549 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Congratulations Jim. It looks like your time and effort paid off, it looks nice. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing one more photo that shows us more of the car as a whole to get a sense of its character. Maybe a side 3/4 from a few inches farther back.

#254 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

That shouldn't be a problem, Mike. The model is still where I shoot my pictures. I also realized after the fact that I hadn't posted any shots of the undercarriage, so I'll have to shoot one of that as well.

David, consider yourself in with your "Little Deuce Coupe". I'll post your entry on the first page of the CBP when I have a little more time.

#255 CougDave

CougDave

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Full Name:Dave Manley

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:32 PM

Better late than never... I guess it's time to finally get started! I now have most of the pieces for the "Eleven long haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus" ready to go. I have a Revell microbus kit, a California Roller reissue if I want to eliminate the top windows, three boxes of different figures and a very rough idea of how this might all go together in my head! It will be abit of a slow build, as I am also working on another project right now. I will get some pictures up after the weekend, and start building.

#256 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

Welcome back, Dave! I've been hoping this build wouldn't die off completely, since it seemed to get off to such a great start last year. I think there are only maybe half a dozen builds completed so far. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do with your Microbus (I hope you have a source for plenty of "Flower Power" and peace sign decals!).

On an ironic side note, just yesterday I saw an early 70's-style Microbus Westfalia pulled over by the local police - for what I don't know... :wacko:

#257 Sam Cates

Sam Cates

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Cates

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

you know, I suppose it's about time I get back to these builds. With school out for a while and only part time work, I should have plenty of time to get back to the bench. Life has slowed down enough...

This is where I left off, and I hope to make some progress this evening...
Posted Image

#258 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

You know, Sam, I'm not a Mustang fan, but that model has the stance NAILED! Not only that, but the tire and wheel combination is perfect for it.

#259 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

in case anyone is wondering...im still working on this and i actually put the seats in my monte today

#260 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Make sure you bolt them down good and tight, Eelco - I wouldn't want anyone falling out when the doors fall off! :) :lol: :D :P