#41 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron James

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:59 PM

Sadly guys all I have atm is the paint and the supercharged 350 chev I'll be using for the Hillbilly Deluxe build. Still waiting on the two kits I need :P

#42 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:24 PM

Okay. The kit I have was painted in testors lacquer by its previous owner. A $2.99 bottle of 91% alcohol later and that paint is toast. The build begins this weekend. This is going to be a stake-side flatbed dually shop truck. The engine will be the Ardun flattie from the 50 Ford F-1. Paint will be a mildly distressed suede blue. I'm kicking around the idea of chopping the top a bit. I'm not a big fan of chop tops, but we'll see.

#43 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:22 PM

This is what iam starting with, as you can see its not all there, but thats ok, I know the pictures are not clear my camera dosent have macro on it, but iam getting married on april 16, 2011 and iam getting a new camera for a wedding present.
Posted Image

#44 Sam Cates

Sam Cates

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Full Name:Sam Cates

Posted 07 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

ACK! Seeing you guys getting started is driving me crazy, I can't find my Mustang yet, might not get started on it for another month or so...

Hey Jim, I can get started on the Jag and the Stingray if you are willing to add them to my build entries. B)

#45 ewaskew

ewaskew

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
  • Full Name:Earl Miller

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:45 PM

This is what iam starting with, as you can see its not all there, but thats ok, I know the pictures are not clear my camera dosent have macro on it, but iam getting married on april 16, 2011 and iam getting a new camera for a wedding present.
Posted Image

Cograts on getting married on the 16th

#46 gray07

gray07

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  • Full Name:Shelly and Darrin Holts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 05:00 AM

Thank you, ewaskew

#47 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:02 AM

ACK! Seeing you guys getting started is driving me crazy, I can't find my Mustang yet, might not get started on it for another month or so...

Hey Jim, I can get started on the Jag and the Stingray if you are willing to add them to my build entries. :)

The way I set out the rules, you had to give others at least 2 weeks to jump on a song before you entered a second build. I haven't checked, but I'm pretty sure just offhand that it's been at lewast 2 weeks. Consider yourself down for the XK-E (actually, Jaguar called the car an "E-Type" - I'm a stickler for that sort of thing!) and the Stingray (with SIX taillights!) from Jan & Dean's "Dead Man's Curve".

#48 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image

Congratulations, Darrin! All the best to you and your bride. (My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail... :) )

Edited by CorvairJim, 11 April 2011 - 08:16 AM.

#49 Sam Cates

Sam Cates

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Woo, found the Mustang, the Jag AND the Vette, will post pics this weekend!

#50 tylersloan

tylersloan

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Full Name:tyler k sloan

Posted 16 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

some one oughta do the "cottonmouth"s caddilac

if i remember correctly it s a 49-50-51-51-52-53-54-55-56-57-58-59 automobile

ill take that one on if i may and would love to do hot rod Lincoln and the Johny cash one peace at a time and it did not cost me a dime . we got a whole year for this i can pull it off

#51 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Jones

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Okay. The kit I have was painted in testors lacquer by its previous owner. A $2.99 bottle of 91% alcohol later and that paint is toast. The build begins this weekend. This is going to be a stake-side flatbed dually shop truck. The engine will be the Ardun flattie from the 50 Ford F-1. Paint will be a mildly distressed suede blue. I'm kicking around the idea of chopping the top a bit. I'm not a big fan of chop tops, but we'll see.

Rob, I am glad you were able to get that paint off. Where did you get the alcohol from?

#52 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:31 AM

finally got some bench time this weekend

i managed to chop out the door and i started building the interior parts
this was the first time doing something like this so i was a little sketchy about it but so far it seems allright
(i still need to fab part of the engine bay so the fender doesnt just hang there)

i also removed the from wheel and installed the discbrake which is now read for detailing
(thank again Matthew)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:23 AM

Rob, I am glad you were able to get that paint off. Where did you get the alcohol from?

Walgreens.

#54 Sam Cates

Sam Cates

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Well I got a little engine work done on the Mustang, mocked up with wheels and tires. I think it is as low as I can go without dragging the oil pan. I thought it needed a little more of a modern look that the factory car in the video. Tomorrow I will dig out the Jag and the Vette and see what I have there.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:25 PM

Guys, I'm seeing some great progress on these models so far! That Monte looks like it's gonna be a real mess, Eelco, but then, that's the whole idea of a "Rusty Chevrolet", right? Sam, your Mustang convertible's stance is fantastic! Earl, your Mustang coupe is super so far - Sally will be thrilled with it! And I'm not forgetting about Bob's Caddy and Nico's Merc that haver been up here for a couple of weeks already. Great stuff all around, guys!

Now I have to finish up my three other CBP entries (a 1960 Corvair 700 sedan "Glue Bomb" restoration for the Early Compact CBP and both a '66 Yenko Stinger and a Corvair Gasser for theVintage Competition CBP) and get crackin' on my "Brand New, Shiny, Red, Super Stock Dodge" - There's a little old lady out there in Pasadena who's getting impatient! I have a set of 1964 California plates all set to go on the Lindberg Dodge 330 I have for the project, but I'm thinking of getting a set of "GRANNY" Vanity Plates made up for it!

Edited by CorvairJim, 17 April 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#56 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:08 AM

Work has begun on the flatbed Ford. Not much to show yet. It's a very old kit. Lots of flash and injector pin marks. Aside from an engine swap it's going to be mostly kit supplied parts. I have decided on a 1/8 inch chop to the top.

#57 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

Guys, I'm seeing some great progress on these models so far! That Monte looks like it's gonna be a real mess, Eelco, but then, that's the whole idea of a "Rusty Chevrolet", right? Sam, your Mustang convertible's stance is fantastic! Earl, your Mustang coupe is super so far - Sally will be thrilled with it! And I'm not forgetting about Bob's Caddy and Nico's Merc that haver been up here for a couple of weeks already. Great stuff all around, guys!

Now I have to finish up my three other CBP entries (a 1960 Corvair 700 sedan "Glue Bomb" restoration for the Early Compact CBP and both a '66 Yenko Stinger and a Corvair Gasser for theVintage Competition CBP) and get crackin' on my "Brand New, Shiny, Red, Super Stock Dodge" - There's a little old lady out there in Pasadena who's getting impatient! I have a set of 1964 California plates all set to go on the Lindberg Dodge 330 I have for the project, but I'm thinking of getting a set of "GRANNY" Vanity Plates made up for it!

Sorry about the slow progress Jim, I just can't find a Toyota body that looke enough like the one in the Hillbilly vid, I'll have to jump on it soon or'll I'll go balls out and scratch build a body. In the words of jeremy Clarkson "How hard can it be?"

#58 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

Sorry about the slow progress Jim, I just can't find a Toyota body that looke enough like the one in the Hillbilly vid, I'll have to jump on it soon or'll I'll go balls out and scratch build a body. In the words of jeremy Clarkson "How hard can it be?"

It doesn't have to be the truck from the VIDEO, just the truck from the SONG. The song you picked was vague enough that you don't have to build your model based directly on a Toyota body. I think you nailed the style of truck the song had in mind (that's why they used it in the video, after all), but I don't see why you can't base your build on some other body. I like the idea of a big engine/big lift/big tires under a compact pickup, but why not think about an AMT Chevy S10 instead of the Toyota? They're easy to find - I have a couple of them in my workroom and I'm not even that much into pickups!

#59 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

It doesn't have to be the truck from the VIDEO, just the truck from the SONG. The song you picked was vague enough that you don't have to build your model based directly on a Toyota body. I think you nailed the style of truck the song had in mind (that's why they used it in the video, after all), but I don't see why you can't base your build on some other body. I like the idea of a big engine/big lift/big tires under a compact pickup, but why not think about an AMT Chevy S10 instead of the Toyota? They're easy to find - I have a couple of them in my workroom and I'm not even that much into pickups!

Yeah screw it I'll scratch build the chassis tonight using my spare blown 427 SS chev and ford F250 underpinnings ;)

#60 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,264 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:05 AM

I've got to agree with Jim 100%, just because they used a Toyota in the video doesn't mean that only a Toyota is a "Hillbilly Deluxe". I'm a born and bred West Virginia hillbilly, and my slightly customized 1990 Ford F350 4x4 dually is my "Hillbilly Deluxe", even with it's rusted front fender and hillbilly rust repair, DUCT TAPE! ;) B) Really though, back to the serious side, up here in the states (since I noticed you're from the land down under Aaron) I've seen all different types of trucks that have "Hillbilly Deluxe" on the bug shield or back window or across the top of the windshield, I've even seen some big rigs named "Hillbilly Deluxe"!

Also, I don't know how I missed this CBP before, but I like it! I don't have a definite entry as of yet, mainly because I have tons of others that probably won't get finished for other CBPs :lol: , but I just might have come up with something for this one, maybe even go through some of my old trucking songs and get a big rig in the mix! :lol: