how to make old style metal spark plug connectors?

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,956 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

I'm thinking of getting back to the build of my '51 Plymouth straight 6 engine and one thing that put a pause on it was modeling the spark plug connectors. These are those old metal connectors .. made from sheet metal with a 90 degree bend and clamped around the wire with a press fit to the plug. They were all bare metal and were about the wire insulation diameter. I found one photo below.

Some thoughts I had were slitting the plug wire insulation so it would bend to 90 degrees, gluing and painting silver. I think this might be a tough glue job without making some jig.

I do have some rubber spark plug boots that I could just paint silver but these are large compared to the plug wire. Last possibility I will just use there as is. I do have some cast spark plugs I'd like to use and these would cover more of the plug that I want to.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image

Edited by Foxer, 29 March 2011 - 09:49 AM.

#2 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,256 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

Wrap end of wire with BMF, bend the wrapped end 90 degrees over a sharp angle. A small piece of styrene rod will do for the spark plug. That aughta do it, aside from weathering.