• You cannot reply to this topic
257 replies to this topic

#241 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Well.......15 months on, really? How would you guys feel about an update?

Man, where to start......................... :unsure:

The passed 12 months or so has given me plenty of time for soul searching and head scratching regarding this massive build.

Surprisingly, the biggest change, will be to a NEW body!

This was by far, my hardest decision to make in recent times, given how many hours work I already have committed to my own Camaro body, I just knew it was not going to hold up in the long run. :( 

It's not broken, but I fear that will happen eventually, and I don't wish to be left stranded, without a body some time down the road.

When we all got wind of Dave's (comp1839) brilliant idea of getting a proper Camaro ProMod body commissioned, I knew then, that this is what I wanted.

I was already well into mine, and the cost of a 1/12 Camaro body was outside my reach at the time.....Times change, lets move on!

Yesterday I received confirmation that my new 1/12 69 Camaro ProMod is on the way, due by the 22nd July. :) You think I'm excited?? Just a tad, hey. :lol:

Plans are for a full re-do on the chassis, thinking of going the brass route, as it will make it that much stronger and stable.

Wheels and tyres are in the planning stages too, so with some big chunks of luck (already had bucket loads of good will) this project is set to snowball outta control.

A good mate (in our model club) is on the verge of buying a 3D printer, so that's bound to get used to the hilt along the way.....

Please bare with me as I get back into stride, but rest assured, the Camaro is BACK!

Cheers guys, your ol' Aussie bud downunder.....

Greg

#242 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:14 AM

Greg, Great to hear from you buddy. Glad to hear everything is good and you back on the track, Can't wait to see the update with the new body.

#243 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Greg.... How you doing Mate? its great to see you back here. I sure have missed seeing your updates and talent put to work. I am super excited for you with getting this new body in 1/12 scale. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I am sure it was a hard decision to pretty much start this build all over but I can tell you from my experience with my 1/16th scale funny car build. you will be happy with your decision. i wish I would of just scratch build my chassis by the time I was done modifying the kit one. Looking forward to new updates. Cheers!

#244 Project510

Project510

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Full Name:James Tarver

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

Fantastic build, will deff stay tuned for the new plans. I love that digital dash decal. Thats going to be a great touch on the interior.

You wouldnt happen to have the box stock engine would you? I notice your scratchbuilding everything and my kit seems to be missing that. 

#245 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your redirected project Greg.  I'm sure it'll be a killer build!

#246 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Hey guys, Joe, Chris, James and Scott, your support and encouraging words are greatly appreciated mates. :)

James, I'll check my stash, I'm pretty sure I DO have one......but I want to be positive before saying "yes". :D 

Well, my excitement is building. Even though I glanced at my confirmation email and saw "July 22nd, end of day"......I neglected to click on the tracking number link. :rolleyes:

It is now, actually on my Australian shore! :blink:  Been cleared by the Import Authority and is "en route" for delivery.......... :o  :blink:  :wub:  Gotta LOVE FAST shipping. :D 

Which means, I really need to dig in and sort what needs sorting, and get ready to parte. (said with a French accent, one of those little doovers over the "e") :lol:

Stay tuned guys

cheers

Greg

#247 Ognib

Ognib

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Haines

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

Fantastic looking u-joint.

DSCF8125-vi.jpg

#248 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

Fantastic looking u-joint.

:)  Thanks Ray. I can not claim all the credit though. It's a TDR piece, I added some brass tube to each corner to tighten up the free-play a little.

It's a lot tighter now, and still has movement. ;)

Well.............Christmas arrived early for me....too early for my birthday as well, but I'll accept it. :lol:

They say a photo is worth a thousand words..........

DSCF8912-vi.jpg

:wub:

Looks like Shapeways have changed the printing process....this body is 100% better than the 1:16 body I have.

I know scale plays a part in that, but the smaller body has a very visible "circle" pattern from the layer process, but this one appears to be layered front to back.

There is still a textured feel to it, but it WILL be a whole lot easier to sand and get smooth. :)

DSCF8915-vi.jpg

DSCF8916-vi.jpg

And, side by side.....the "old" war horse. :(

DSCF8914-vi.jpg

As I mentioned, the decision to go this route was tough, but having this new body in my sweaty hands, I know it was the right way to go. :)

I will persevere with the old body in the future, and may just display it as a "spare".......??

Stay tuned guys, I'm waiting to hear back from a guy regarding some other new parts.....will have more for you soon.

Cheers

Greg

#249 Ognib

Ognib

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Haines

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Nice.

That should save you a few hours of prepping the other body for the purpose at hand.

#250 ZIL 111V

ZIL 111V

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Full Name:P.GILL

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:17 AM

:o  :o  :o ...

Very impresive work! 

Edited by ZIL 111V, 19 July 2013 - 03:19 AM.

#251 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

looks great greg. looking forward to seeing this progress.

#252 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

Greg.... So excited to see you back on this and the new body. I am gonna take some good notes for when I get to my pro mod one day. That new body looks great. I would love one in 1/16 or 1/12 scale. I actually picked one in 1/43 scale a while back

#253 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

greg, i'v been looking at the 2 bodies sitting on your bench. it's amazing how close (similar) they are yet how different they are. know what i mean?

Edited by comp1839, 19 July 2013 - 11:30 PM.

#254 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Thanks guys. :)

Ray, yep....actually started on some minor prep work today. It does sand rather easily and I'm thinking a couple of coats of primer (sanded between coats) will work quite well. :D 

Paul, thanks so much mate, your kind words are very much appreciated. :)

Chris, thanks Brother. :D  Hey, if you can find something on mine to help, great....as you know, I'm eying off your work for ideas. ;)  PM coming your way....

Dave, my big Brother. Hehehe, you know, I keep looking at that comparison myself. I was close in some areas......miles away in others. :lol:

Overall length is within mm's, width is almost identical, but the roof area is where they differ the most. The original kit roof is still way too flat, something I would never have picked.

It's most noticeable at the top of the windscreen, then of course, you can also see the hood needed a lot more curvature.

I guess it's the case in their 1:1 counterparts too, as some of the 69 cars I've seen look way off compared to the style Mike has. :huh:

I will still persevere with mine, and having a good reference sitting right here beside it will aid the transformation I hope. :lol:  Stay tuned mate.

Attached Files

#255 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

i would believe it has to do with exactly how both of these bodies were concieved and built greg. you started with a copy of a real '69 body and built and stretched and massaged it. much like the picture on the right in your post. the car has retained many of the actual '69 body lines and really looks VERY close to your body.

the cynergy body is sort of a clean sheet of paper design. it was a complete overhaul of the body. you can see there is not one area of the body that wasn't changed at least slightly.

there is nothing wrong with either design. both are kinda cool in their own way.  it does explain the " you can't get there from here"  look of the cynergy body, though. there are just "too many" changes and variances in the body to get there from modifying a stock body.

if you haven't cut out the doors yet, i think you should think about building your body into a nostalgia funny car.  i think it has exactly the right flavor for the class and you wont weaken the body any more with working door cutouts. then you could have 2 virtually one of a kind cars for your collection........just a thought.

#256 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

I like the way you think Dave. That's a very good take on the variances in the body styling.

The "you can't get there from here" makes perfect light of where I was trying to go with my body....as I said, close but yet way off. :lol:

I still love the look of the Cynergy Camaro, it was my first pick as a "want to build this style" when I kicked this off, and I think most guys using 69's at the track use their body.

As a side, my nephew was out to visit this arvo and the first thing he said was, "hm, you finally got one"...........

He's a 69 Camaro nutter (has a 1:1 for a full resto, one day) and he still prefers the body I started, even with this gorgeous new body sitting next to it. :wacko:  :lol:

And no, it's not too late for a funny car either. :)  That is the BEST idea yet. And something I reckon is very doable.

The front clip is already cut off but nothing that can't be reversed......I'll get back to you on this, but yes.....Nostalgia funny car, that sounds awesome. ;) 

Thanks Dave.

#257 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:35 AM

Woah, nearly 2 years has passed.... :(  How life gets in the way sometimes, huh. One day at a time I say......

Well, a few changes and twisties along a bumpy road, progress on the TDR Camaro has regained some pace......still only in low gear.

I hope Dave (Comp) will be pleased to see this resurface, tho I know he will also feel sadness, as I haven't been able to utilize ALL the amazing "parts" which he so graciously provided for this build. :(

Weakness is a major flaw I have, and not being capable of "making" some basic rubber molds for wheels and tyres, I weakened and laid out some $$ for some from MicroNitro. Tyres I got from Rafael, thanks mate.

DSCF9635-vi.jpg

The body was the big aspect of this build which scared me the most.....as you know, the surface texture really is quite grainy, and I have had numerous tips and ideas on the best method of attack.

In the end, I chose to just go with paint, or primer in this case. I purchased some automotive grade sprays from my local parts store, some high fill surface Primer-Filler....It was ok, but the graininess was still there.

Back I went shopping and ended up with some Spray Putty. The difference was like chalk and cheese.

The following few picks just give an indication of how things will eventually look.....Bear in mind, all parts need to be sanded, and recoat with the spray putty. The front on shot of the hood has one side sanded, one not.

The primer-filler......

DSCF9742-vi.jpg

All coated with the spray putty.....

DSCF9752-vi.jpg

Half sanded.....

DSCF9756-vi.jpg

Still a good ways to go, but at least its a start. :)

Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to ask Q or post any queries you may have.

Cheers

Greg

#258 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:53 PM

Looking good Greg!  You've done a nice job of illustrating the differences between the sanded and original texture side on the front clip.  Looking forward to more, my friend... :)