• You cannot reply to this topic
255 replies to this topic

#21 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Chris and Paul. :angry:
Paul, I might just try that source. :lol: I'm thinking I may regenerate my old 67 'Vette ProMod project too.....need something to sit along side this one. :lol:
So it may end up with a PSI perched on top.....either that or a nitrous motor wedged in it's guts.....

Well, I'm having slow progress on the body......putty takes forever to dry down here at the moment, and I'm trying not to apply it too thick as well.....
It is however, taking shape.
The rear window opening is looking pretty good, and another couple of goes puttying should see it nearly ready for some primer.....??? We shall see......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In between spare moments, I've continued on the blower. I really think this was easier than trying the PSI......
Front cover/snout in the early stages.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All holes drilled, the main cover (larger piece) will "bolt" to the housing with threaded bolts, the smaller cover is getting simulated bolts.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Final check.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

That's about it for this weekend...I'll sand the body and apply some more putty before turning in later tonight.....
Thanks for stopping by and hope you like it.
cheers
Greg

#22 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

you're making excellent progress on this, greg. body is looking awesome! this is a HUGE undertaking and you're pulling it off with alot of finesse. the blower remake is looking spot on. keep up the hard work.

#23 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thanks so much Dave, much appreciated. ;)

Not a real lot to report, the body has had some more putty.....I've almost finished the blower, just the last details to be added to the rear cover plate. :blink:
I'm just about to dive in and cut the body to pieces again...................................but not in a bad way. :P The front clip needs to be separated to enable proper access to the chassis work. ;)

Which I kicked off yesterday.......:o
Going with "plastic" 3.2mm rod/tube. It won't be as nice (or sturdy) as brass, but I'm far more confident in plastic, and my cheap soldering iron threw in the towel.....:lol:
I figure by the time I get ALL the bars in place, this will be more than adequate for the job......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And one last quick overview, before it gets cut to pieces......

Posted Image

Hope to get a fair bit done on the chassis over the next few nights......plus chop the body.
Stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by.
cheers
Greg

#24 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

you never cease to amaze me Greg keep up the excellent work! :D

#25 hOLMS

hOLMS

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Holmes

Posted 18 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

This is awesome work going on here, looking good. Good luck with your next mods!

#26 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:59 AM

Thanks Romell and Jeff. ;)

Well, work has gathered pace on the chassis.....yet to chop up the body. :P
I drilled and added a centre bar (crank size) through the motor, to help keep everything lined up back to the diff....
Posted Image

Bell-housing/scatter-shield made from a plastic bottle I had laying around.....it's pretty close to the right size. :D
Posted Image

I had this resin Lenco in my stash for a while, and was happy to go with that.....
However, it is a bit off in regard to proportions, plus it's kinda warped and bent.......even got as far as making a bracket to mount it.....
Posted Image

But, my obsessiveness gave out in the end.....:blink: and I decided to make my own......
Again, an empty plastic bottle gave the desired size I wanted, so I cut it into two sections, added some flanges, and here we have the beginnings.....
(I'm undecided on whether to ADD all the bolt detail, or go with out......??? <_<
reason being, I would like to add a "bag" to it.....Should I go full bolt detail/un-bagged, or leave it and bag it...??? :) )

Posted Image

Pedals.....brake and clutch......
Posted Image

Will mount here.......cross bar, supported by brackets at both ends.
Posted Image

Brake pedal.....
Posted Image

Brake reservoir.....
Posted Image

And location......
Posted Image

Overview of where it now sits.......
Posted Image

When I get the Lenco finished (bagged or un-bagged) and make the mounts for it, I can then start to add in the rest of the bar work.......
More to come, hope you enjoy and thanks for stopping by.
cheers
Greg

#27 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

Greg,

Alter the front flange to resemble the real Lenco. The front cases are different where they bolt to the Bellhousing. Looks good so far though!
Paul
http://www.lencoraci...MasterPage.html

#28 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,850 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:15 AM

Greg this is looking great. You have made alot of progress since the last I saw it. The Chassis looks fantastic and so does the scratch building of the transmission. Great work my friend. I gotta ask will you take me for a ride in it when it is finished :blink: . Excellent detail and work, you have some skills.

#29 John Teresi

John Teresi

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts
  • Full Name:John Teresi

Posted 23 May 2011 - 07:45 AM

Greg........your scratch building is over the top.........got to be the best I have seen.......I truly admire your skills.

#30 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

Greg........your scratch building is over the top.........got to be the best I have seen.......I truly admire your skills.

2X :) :lol:

#31 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:14 AM

Greg,

Alter the front flange to resemble the real Lenco. The front cases are different where they bolt to the Bellhousing. Looks good so far though!
Paul
http://www.lencoraci...MasterPage.html

Thanks ever so much Paul. :lol:
Checked the link and finally just did a search for Lenco's.....amazing what you can find when you look.....:lol: Guess it pays to not just go by what you have in front of you, kit parts which may not be too accurate for instance.....:lol:
The mounting flanges now look a lot closer to what they should, cheers. :lol: Pics over the weekend......Also been working on the reverse lock-out (?) lever......

Many thanks too Chris, John and Derrick.
It's great builders like you guys who feed me with tons of inspiration. :lol: ;)

#32 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,856 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:45 AM

Greg, you REALLY suprise me that you haven't actually started on a REAL car!!!! This seems to be as complicated as doing the REAL thing, only smaller!
This is as complete as the lil 240 Z you were working on. Hopefully you can get them both done soon. It'd be nice to see them both. Glad yer back at tha bench Bro, I've missed you, AND your incredible scratchbuilding/detailing abilities!!!!:( :( :(

#33 hOLMS

hOLMS

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Holmes

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Greg, this is looking great. I especially like the work you've done on the body, the long nose and the rear fender/trunk areas, very awesome! I really like that tranny and its mtg brkts as well as your chassis work. Well, I like it all, nuff said. Great work!

#34 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Something about those resin Lenco trannys that'll make you toss em everyt time, im at the same place on my promod build, I tossed mine and opted to scratch build one. I wish you well in this endevor Bro. keep up the outstanding effort! Romell :rolleyes:

#35 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:11 PM

Greg, you REALLY suprise me that you haven't actually started on a REAL car!!!! This seems to be as complicated as doing the REAL thing, only smaller!
This is as complete as the lil 240 Z you were working on. Hopefully you can get them both done soon. It'd be nice to see them both. Glad yer back at tha bench Bro, I've missed you, AND your incredible scratchbuilding/detailing abilities!!!!:D :( ;)

Hey George, thanks for the kind words mate. :D Nah, I leave the work on real cars to the professionals these days.... My time getting too dirty and greasy are way passed...... :lol:

Thank you too Jeff and Romell.
Romell, yes....I scored the resin Lenco quite some time ago and it would have done the job, but I searched and ended up finding too much great info, as usual...... So, making a better version was inevitable......

Ok, well I have managed to get a bit done in my absence....
The NEW Lenco is getting much closer, thanks to Paul. All the flanges have been updated, a new trans holder has been made to suit, and the mounts are added to the floor area on the chassis.
I made a reverse lever and assembly for it too, but think I forgot to get pics of that....oops. I will check and post them later.
The bell-housing (Trick Titanium) now has a linkage and shaft, as well as the drain tube added. I also had to modify the flange, as my nephew kindly pointed out, I had it to suit a BB Chev... He's a Chevy guy.....
I also modified the pedal assembly, so that the brake and clutch pedals work independently....and added a small spring inside the brake booster.. (not that I'll be using it, but I'll know the brakes work..)

I also made a basic front engine mount, and the idler pulley mount for the front of the motor.
NOT sure if it's all that accurate, but it should all line up once the rest of the belt and pulley's get added.....

Finally....................I HAVE to give a HUGE word of praise to a great friend of ours, right here.....Dave. (ten thumbs up mate) ;)
I have never in my life experienced such a wonderful experience by just meeting someone via the net....It truly is an amazing place to meet like minded people when you think about it.....(starting to get sobby now...sorry.....)
Through this mans own generosity, I now have something I thought was going to give me headaches for at least 6 months while I tried to get things right.....

WHEELS and TYRES........ProMod style. :D Along with an assortment of other goodies which will help on my next project.....(but that's a tale for another time.....)
Not forgetting some of the BEST reference material a guy could ever ask for. Thanks Dave.

Alright, enough rambling, time for pics.......
MASTERS for front and rear wheels and tyres......
The masters will of course, be finding their way back to Dave in good time........I just need to get my act together, and make myself 2 sets......(yep, second project.....)
Posted Image

Posted Image

PLUS, an added bonus of several "test" tyres to use for mock-up purposes......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Overview......
Posted Image

THANK YOU again Dave. ;) B) ;)

Continues........

#36 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:12 PM

Continued.....................

NEW Lenco taking shape....(note incorrect flange on the can......)
Posted Image

Getting closer.......
Posted Image

Flange altered and drain, linkage added......
Posted Image

Brakes being altered as well......
Posted Image

Front engine mount and idler plate.
Reference shows the idler sitting slightly forward on the main plate....?? So I made this similar, though as said, it may not be accurate......
I drilled some pilot holes into the block, inserted some .7mm threaded rod, then slid some tiny nuts over the rod to give it a "space" between them......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Overview with the engine resting in place.....
Posted Image

Work has also begun on fabricating a sheet-metal (plastic) rear end assembly.....again, using reference supplied by Dave..
Hope to not leave it as long between drinks with the next update guys...Thank you all for your thoughts and for stopping by..
cheers
Greg

#37 LAone

LAone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Aguilar

Posted 01 June 2011 - 10:42 AM

wow greg, this is looking great. got some good progress on it. looking forward to more.

by the way, i think you should cast those lenco trannys, im sure folks would buy them. B)

#38 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Blyth

Posted 02 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

The Camaro is coming out good, I agree 100% with hOLMS, the bodywork is just superb!, the tires & wheels look good also.

#39 semijoe

semijoe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Full Name:joe kovach

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

you have some serious talent my freind. totally amazed by the detail

#40 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:05 PM

Thanks so much Luis, Richard and Joe. :D
:lol: Luis, I hadn't considered casting the Lenco, It's probably not as accurate as it could be, but I'm still contemplating adding a bad to it once installed, so most will be hidden...

Well, with a fairly mixed up, hectic past few weeks, I've been chipping away at some of the more fiddly details.....Not a lot to show, but a good amount done....Does that make sense...?? :P
Got a start on the fuel system mounting.....the stem for the fuel pump.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Also decided to make an offset drive for the ProMag magneto. It needs a lot of clean up and some finishing with some detail nut and bolt detail, but it will allow a bit more room around the rocker cover. :)
The blower manifold has also received some extra work, just tidying up the front and rear sections, and adding the burst panel location.
Posted Image

MOST of the spare time has gone into the steering.....
Found a suitable wheel in my parts stash, suitably sized tubing, and mounted it all to the firewall.
Hopefully, the rack and pinion will work..(still very much in development...) but the rest of it functions, from the wheel down to the last joint. :)
I made the "rubberised" joints from heat-shrink. With some detail painting, I'm hoping they resemble the late style most teams are using.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The rack and brackets are only sitting in rough position. I will add another guide sleeve to the upright where the steering rod is almost parallel with the chassis rail.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The "safety loop" tunnel is started as well. Still need to add some front tubes for the mounting, but it all lines up ok.
Posted Image

Ok, well that's this week so far.....not back at work till next Monday, so I'm finally hoping to get some quality bench time.....:D
Stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by.
cheers
Greg