#41 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Blyth

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:53 AM

It's coming out awesome Greg!, this build is going to be a monster!

#42 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 03:02 AM

Greg the camaro is coming along super nice, i'm geting so must out of the build to help me. I'm love it, keep it comeing THANKS.

#43 Romell R

Romell R

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,782 posts
  • Full Name:Romell Robinson

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:35 AM

Once i clean the drool off my laptop I'll be able to give you a proper compliment but for now in the famous words of Mr. Burns "EXCELLENT!" :unsure:

#44 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Richard, Derrick and Romell. :)

Well, the FULL week of quality bench time didn't quite eventuate, but I still managed to sneak away from the family goings on for a while.......:D
First up, a bit of third member fabrication......
Posted Image

Top front mount for the tail-shaft loop......
Testing alignment..................
Posted Image

Also kicked off the 4-link......It will need to be well started to continue the rear frame fabrication......
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Re-designed and made a new rack for the steering.....the one I wanted to fit, didn't quite work out. :D So I'm re-positioning the steering column as well.....Oh well......
Made a gas pedal while still on the inside, plus a lot of the internal bar work has been added.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, back to the bench I go.......Thought we were to be without power again today (major line upgrade) but it's still on at present.....:)
So I may get back with more later on this evening.......see how I go. ;)
Thanks for stopping by gang, and throw any Q's or critique my way if you wish.
cheers
Greg

#45 tyrone

tyrone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Full Name:Tyrone Price

Posted 18 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

Stump, this is one awesome looking build, scratch building at it's best caint wait to see what's next.

#46 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thanks so much Tyrone. :unsure:

Well, between visitors, market wanderings, and power outages.....I got a couple of hours in. On and off...............:blink: :lol:
Second half of the 4-link.
Roughed up the first piece, free-hand pen work - straight to plastic. Cut that piece and sandwiched the other 3 together with bolts. Same principal as used for the first set..
Posted Image

Posted Image

Very poor quality pic, sorry.....but you get the idea......
Posted Image

Four identical pieces.....:) Well......pretty close anyways...................:lol:
Posted Image

Testing on the axle tubes.....
Posted Image

And, at a loose end late this arvo, I just threw it all together roughly to gain an idea of how it's going......
Steering column back in too.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

That's all for tonight.....I'm in dire need of sleep........Having relatives here all week has taken it's toll on my sleeping habits.......:lol:
Thanks guys
Greg

#47 ewaskew

ewaskew

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • Full Name:Earl Miller

Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:45 AM

Very Very nice work.
What size tube do you use for your frame?

#48 mikey

mikey

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Hensley

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:56 AM

This is one outstanding model.Makes me want to finish my big scale car.

#49 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

Greg, the four-link is coming out nice, as is the differential. I just have to keep adding to the list of TOP BUILDER'S I find on this site that give so much inspiration & ideas, while I think it'll be awhile before I try to tackle a 1/16th scale build,I just hope my P/X that I'm trying to get my butt around to working on turns out 1/2 as good as the builds I see here now. The Camaro is coming out great!

#50 semijoe

semijoe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Full Name:joe kovach

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:02 AM

everything is looking really good. thank you for showing step by step too.. watching you is really helping me out

#51 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:34 PM

Thanks so much for the very kind comments guys. ;)
Earl,
I'm using 3.2mm (1/8) rod and tube for the main rails. The remainder of the smaller bars are 2mm and 2.5mm. ;) The 3.2mm works out to just a tad over 1.5inch @ 1.511. Hope that helps out mate.

Mike,
Yes...get out that large scale build and jump into it man. ;)

Richard,
Don't be afraid to jump on in mate....you learn as you go. There's a lot of areas on this that I'm not 100% sure on, but I'm bluffing my way through them.......;) :D It's a continual learning curve mate,
and I generally find something new to try every time I visit here. ;)

Joe,
Yeah.....I'm not real good at the "step by step" thing.....usually forget to take progress pics of some major points....:rolleyes: :lol: And I'm glad you are finding it beneficial mate. Thanks.

Well, this week has been slow......but I did a little.........
Fist off, a very welcome parcel arrived from Dave (comp1839) and it was something to save my skin again. :)
Some very very nice blower drive pulleys and an idler pulley...
Posted Image

Posted Image

The belt I sourced locally, and the fit is not bad.....may be a tad long, but I have a plan in store for that.......
Posted Image

I made a slight mod to the top pulley, removing the aluminium shaft, opting for a plastic shaft which I could easily adapt to the blower snout.
I'm half way through making the 3-splined drive for the "starter", as this car wont have an on-board battery system for self-starting...
Posted Image

AND.....................it fell in half...........................Ok, not really fell in half, it took some effort actually......
Posted Image

Mounted with small screws, I'm hoping to disguise them as Dzus fasteners....see how that works out later........
Posted Image

Posted Image

And FINALLY.....you get to see how much of the "kit plastic" is NOT going to be left in tact.....................................................
The inner guard/fender on the other side is almost completely gone......I had to hog it out of the way to make sure the big boots fitted ok. :P
Posted Image

That brings you up to speed for this week, thanks for looking, and hope you like it.
cheers
Greg

#52 Dragracer

Dragracer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

The build is looking good Greg, thanks for all the inspiration1

#53 Mooneyzs

Mooneyzs

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Full Name:-Chris

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

Greg... this is turning out great. Those pulleys look awesome. did you get the blower belt from McMaster-Carr?? I ordered a few different sizes to see if I could use it as my blower pulleys for my 1/16th scale builds...lol. Looking forward to more progress on this.

#54 Mr.1/16th

Mr.1/16th

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Full Name:Santiago A. Hernandez

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#55 pharr7226

pharr7226

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

Incredible scratch building. I can't wait to see more.

#56 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Thank you Richard, Chris, Santiago and Rick. B)

Chris, I was lucky enough to source the belt from a local distributor down here in Aus. ;) PM on the way....

Well, a no pic post to update this week...................;) But that don't mean I haven't been busy. :huh:
First up......
Some MAJOR body mods tool place......................:blink: :huh:
Not real sure how evident this glitch in my work had been, but the tail was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. :o Yep, lopped an inch off it, a SCALE foot........
LOTS of trimming, reshaping, checking, re-reshaping............but the result will yield a more true representation of what it should be....

Also moved the body backwards on the chassis for better alignment. Only by 5mm......This showed up the next down fall........
When I cut the front off, I used what I thought was the correct front door edge.....well, now the doors are too short. :rolleyes: Won't be a hard fix tho.

And I have re-aligned (moved) the steering column. It was going to foul on the headers, so it's now 5mm lower in the firewall....
Plus, I have added the extra bar work around the drivers cockpit, the F/C cage part. B) I think it looks ok......time will tell.....
I'll get some pics done as soon as I can, just want to get the new rear looking a bit more finished. :P

#57 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:30 AM

greg, i have an email coming your way about the body dimensions.

#58 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 10:10 PM

greg, i have an email coming your way about the body dimensions.

Many thanks Dave. I was close...within a whisker at the rear, about 10mm at the front.............:) ;)

Well, as mentioned in my previous post, and with Dave saving my butt once again...body modifications have filled my time of late.
The front end required (still needs lots more time) the most in regard to mods....It was shortened by 10mm, just behind the grill area.
The nose of the hood has been reshaped and re-contoured too.
Posted Image

It looks a LOT closer to photos of reference cars I have..(well, it will when finished. )

The rear end is where I started....it always looked tail heavy.....Dave's email confirmed this fact.
So, here it is with a whole "scale foot" lopped out of it.......I've started re-contouring the edge where it rolls over to the tail panel.
The lower sections of fender will be added once I have the correct shape for the top half all sorted....
Posted Image

Posted Image

An overview gives a better indication of how it looks now.
Posted Image

Chassis work.....
Only the Funny Car style hoop I added the other night, plus the new steering wheel position......
Posted Image

Posted Image

NEW fabricated "sheet-metal" diff in the works....
Think I'm going to head off to the local Ford Dealer for a new centre for it............
Posted Image

Posted Image

And started messing with shocks/struts.....
Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, that brings this weekend to a screaming halt......More as it happens guys, and thanks for stopping by.
cheers
Greg

#59 comp1839

comp1839

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Full Name:dave smith

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:26 AM

greg, i'm glad to see you getting the details "correct". the build is looking awesome!!!! the chassis looks great and the repairs to the body should be spot on. i love the shocks! great work! 1/12 scale is just a load of fun to work in....isn't it?

#60 Rdkingjay

Rdkingjay

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Clement

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:59 AM

Very impressive work Greg. I was looking through projects, trying to find inspiration for my dukes Charger, when I found your Camaro project and it is just amazing. While my project is no comparison to yours, I have a lot to do to it, in my opinion, to make it presentable. If you don't mind, I may need to pick your brain if I get stuck. Again, wonderful job so far. I will be following this as it progresses.