Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spyder Kart - Round 1

Alyn

The other day I was looking at the T-bucket body that comes with the AMT Competition Parts pack, waiting for a bit of impiration to strike. Nothing came of that, but then I noticed the seat. I had been wanting to build a go-kart, but the scratch built seat I was starting with just wasn't working out. This seat looked like just the ticket, so I sketched out a rough drawing on an index card, and another drawing of the frame tube layout.

This kart consists of one kit piece; the seat. Everything else is scratch built from Plastruct rod and various metal and rubber bits. The tires are made from fuel hose. The wheels and pulley's are machined aluminum. Brass was used for axles and various steering pieces. The brake disc and cylinder bore is steel. Most everything else is styrene. I shaped a stack of styrene plates for the cylinder cooling fins, and then assembled them with a steel washer between each one.

Scale is 1:25 (by eyeball :) )

Img_0237b.jpg?psid=1

Img_0235b.jpg?psid=1

Img_0231b.jpg?psid=1

Img_0226b.jpg?psid=1

Edited by Alyn

Beyond cool, Alyn! Is scratch building something that's addictive once you get started? Could be... You know you're in trouble when you stare at a kit seat and a complete build emerges. :P This is tremendous. Incredible charm and spirit. It really captures the essence of a go-kart. Is this my fave of what you've shown so far? Could be... B):Dsuper.gif

Wow! Looks like there's a few karting fans around here. I know everytime I see a curvy road I think how cool would it be to have a go-kart race on this road. It's impossible to drive one without a huge smile on your face.

Thanks for all the great comments.

Bernard, you should be able to answer your own question with all the scratch building you do. But, yes in my case it is addictive. I have a 56 Nomad started as an out-of-box build. It has been sitting to the side for quite some time now. It's hard to keep motivated when you envision so many detail that can be added, but aren't allowed to do so.

AWESOME!!! The details are perfect. I agree with the Doc, that would make a cool diorama piece, with a kid ripping around, but add a police car chasing him!:(

Naw guys MOST kids have more sense than that(I hope)! Have a fat middle aged dude whippin around with a cop chasein HIM!:lol::D:(:P