#121 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,743 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:52 PM

Once more, as I said there are choices that are made in the design of any model... there comes a point when some "nice features" won't be added. That was the case with LoneStar and will be the case with the next kit we produce...
To be perfectly honest when we started this project - almost 2 years ago - we looked at some of the newer kits that are on the market and followed their engineering practices for some parts including the fuel tanks.
Yes we could have made the lights along the bottom edge of the cab as separate chrome pieces and we could have added separate chrome inserts for the hood sides, we could make separate tools for the red lenses and the amber lenses and four piece fuel tanks, separate tools for steer tires and drive tires and probably at least a half dozen other items that would have been nice ways to do things.
We could make this 300 part kit into a 350 part kit pretty easily...(4 piece tanks - adds 4 parts - separate chrome parts at bottom of cab & sleeper adds 4 more pieces - lets add chrome inserts to the hood sides - 2 more parts - Now the 306 part kit is 316 parts!) I can keep adding neat features to this thing until it's way more than 350 parts...
The fact is that some things just didn't get done as separate parts simply because we looked at the other kits on the market and tried to do something ALL NEW that would be able to compete with them at a reasonable retail price
I think that we did that pretty well...If we dropped the ball here I'm sure we'll figure out how to pick it up on the next project or the project after that...

Dave

We know that every kit is a compromise, the bottom line for any company is always $$$. That's not bad or evil, it's good business sense.

Yeah, all the things you listed would have been cool. If nothing else, the separate fuel tank caps would have been welcomed by truck builders. How much it would have raised the retail price is debatable–if adding the details you listed did raise the price to the point where this kit would have to be priced significantly higher than the competition, then the question becomes, will it sell as a "premium" kit because of all the added detail... or will modelers look at the price and choke? Tough call for sure, but Moebius made the decisions they made and that's the end of the story.

Like I've said in previous posts on the Hornet and the Chrysler 300 threads, I give Moebius huge credit for taking a chance and putting brand-new kits on the market, and for listening to modelers' input and actually reacting to it. Just the fact that this kit is being manufactured at all is a testament to Moebius and the people involved in its design and execution, so congratulations and all the credit in the world to Moebius. But separate fuel tank ends would really have been a nice touch. :rolleyes:

#122 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:04 PM

With any model kit, no matter the complexity or lack thereof, there will ALWAYS be compromises. Keep in mind, folks, that every time we, or a model company, consider the notion of "just a few more parts" here or there, that can mean additional tooling, a new parts tree, and that means more cost, often considerably more cost. And, as already noted here in this thread, added cost in tooling directly translates to added retail price by the time it gets to us. Why is this?

With a kit the size of the Lonstar, each parts tree you see is a separate tool, and in modern kit production, each separate parts tree means the use of an additional injection mold machine, and an additional person to operate it. Addtionally, even one more parts tree can mean a larger or deeper box, and that translates into high shipping costs (which are not inconsiderable these days).

And even more, added parts mean more complexity in any model kit. It's wise to bear in mind here folks: We who are the readers and frequent posters on this and other model car message boards are not exactly "Joe Average" model builders or even kit buyers. What may well suit our tastes, whet our model building appetites, delight us with tons of tiny parts; may well (and this has happened!) drive away a pretty large market--those who can't or won't buy a particular kit when it even has the appearance of being overly complicated, or just by looking at a bazillion tiny little parts. As a former hobby shop owner, I can attest with absolute certainty that such has happened over the years. Just how many Accurate Miniatures McLaren kits get bought, and even more, how few really got built? With that example, I rest my case. This of course, is in response to the question of why no separate clearance lights. On that same subject, why stop with clearance lights? Why not separate plated door handles, separate plated scripts and badges? Why not separate, separate, separate, separate. This is a list and an argument that could go on Ad Infinitum it seems to me.

Art

#123 mackinac359

mackinac359

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts
  • Full Name:Tim Ahlborn

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:06 PM

My comment about the visible seams was not aimed at any particular kit ('cept the Revell Los Angeles Peterbilt 359 based kits as that seam is the most noticeable - and the AMT Peterbilt 359/352 seams on the unplated plastic). The side seams are fixable on the LoneStar and Italeri tanks. On the LoneStar, the fuel tanks aren't visible unless you convert it to a daycab or omit the chassis fairings - and then you're going to have to do other modifications.

Think about this.. a pesky seam is the only dislike noticed during building? What does that say for the kit?
That says a LOT. A LOT of good things.

Tim

#124 Danno

Danno

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,988 posts
  • Full Name:Nameless Natural Luminary

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

My comment about the visible seams was not aimed at any particular kit ('cept the Revell Los Angeles Peterbilt 359 based kits as that seam is the most noticeable - and the AMT Peterbilt 359/352 seams on the unplated plastic). The side seams are fixable on the LoneStar and Italeri tanks. On the LoneStar, the fuel tanks aren't visible unless you convert it to a daycab or omit the chassis fairings - and then you're going to have to do other modifications.

Think about this.. a pesky seam is the only dislike noticed during building? What does that say for the kit?
That says a LOT. A LOT of good things.

Tim

Agreed!
And, as I've said before ... it is a spectacular kit, with or without tank seams!

:angry:

#125 Jim B

Jim B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts
  • Full Name:James Bongiovanni

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:42 PM

Mine arrived today from Model Express, and I am quite pleased with what I see in the box. I've been compairing it to some of my AMT & Revell kits, and, well, there really is no compairison. I am looking forward to building this kit this summer.

#126 Ben

Ben

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,939 posts
  • Full Name:Ben Wicker

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

I think Moebius and Dave have done an outstanding job. If there's one thing I know very well, it's model trucks! I have at least two of every truck kit ERTL and AMT have ever produced as well as hundreds of Revell and Italeri kits. I have mastered many, many parts that have been sold worldwide dedicated to truck builders. There's always going to be minor compromises in model kits. I, for one, am overjoyed with this offering and feel that for a kit this well detailed, thought out and low priced, I can overlook something as minor as a seam in the tanks. For twenty bucks I can put real machined aluminum tanks with no seam at all. Problem fixed!

Thank you Dave for all your research and development on this kit!!!!!!!!!! Thank everyone at Moebius for me as well! :D

#127 modelercarl

modelercarl

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:Carl

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:19 AM

I know I am being redundant with this but I received my (2) Lonestar kits a couple of days ago and have been going through the one that I opened. I am not a "major league" truck builder, having built only (6) truck kits so far and still am developing my skills. I do consider myself more than capable and thoroughly enjoy (as a hobby!) building 1/24 & 1/25 scale cars and trucks. I am a 70 year old retired machine tool design engineer with 35 years experience with high volume engine, transmission and other auto/truck component manufacture.

I feel compelled to add my praise and thanks to Moebius and ALL those personnel involved in bringing this kit to market. In my opinion, Moebius has raised the bar to a level that I would not have thought possible just a year or so ago. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Unfortunately this kit has created an even greater anticipation for receipt of the (2) Hudson and (2) Chrysler kits I have on order, and any other future releases from Moebius.

Thank You Moebius

#128 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

Posted Image

I put the finishing touches on the hood and did the Bare Metal Foil on the cab.

#129 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

That is really going together Nice.
Paint is looking Fantastic...

Posted Image
Only half are yours?
Yaa, Right :rolleyes: :P

#130 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:33 AM

That is really going together Nice.
Paint is looking Fantastic...

Posted Image
Only half are yours?
Yaa, Right :) B)

Thanks and I'm serious about half being mine.

#131 loghauler70

loghauler70

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Your Lone Star is looking great. I just finished my first one. I think it is a great kit. I had a few issues building it but they were easy enough to work out with some paitence. I will post some pictures of it soon.

#132 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image

I'm hoping the cab is on to stay but I'm not so sure right now as you can see it rise from front to back.

The hood, stack and air cleaner are dry fit to see what it'll look like with them on.

#133 RodneyBad

RodneyBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

That sure is turning out to be one Great looking Truck.
The look is really growing on me.

#134 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:55 PM

Posted Image

Getting REAL close. Only missing the chicken lights and decals. Think I've gotta play with the hood fit though.

Posted Image

I decided the kit mud flaps were too thick for my liking so I cut replacements from .010 styrene and then added weights cut from the same sheet followed by some BMF.

Posted Image

Since I put the cab on to the chassis, I've had to actually do work on it in the Garage as it's too big for my workbench.

#135 Alfnut

Alfnut

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Full Name:Josh Duell

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Posted Image

Getting REAL close. Only missing the chicken lights and decals. Think I've gotta play with the hood fit though.

Posted Image

I decided the kit mud flaps were too thick for my liking so I cut replacements from .010 styrene and then added weights cut from the same sheet followed by some BMF.

Posted Image

Since I put the cab on to the chassis, I've had to actually do work on it in the Garage as it's too big for my workbench.

Looks great! cant wait for mine to get here

#136 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Full Name:Kostas Parchas

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:48 AM

I like it, I want it, you are very lucky man!!! Nice and clean built.
Outdor pictures please????

Kostas.

#137 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

I like it, I want it, you are very lucky man!!! Nice and clean built.
Outdor pictures please????

Kostas.

Thank you.

Outdoor pictures are not something I am currently setup for BUT I am working on fixing that. It might not be ready when the LoneStar is finished but outdoor pics. of it will happen.

#138 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:26 PM

I know I've made you wait for the pics. of the finished LoneStar but IMHO, it's worth it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There's a few more details to be added like dealer tags on the rear mud flaps from my local dealer and it does need a trailer which will be taken care of shortly.

I'll be sure to post it here when it's done.

#139 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:30 PM

Nice job!!

#140 Mr. Can Am Garage

Mr. Can Am Garage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Before I forget, I'd like to thank Art Anderson and Dave Metzner of Moebius for so generously allowing me to have the first production LoneStar.