#22 TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:Dustin

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

Donnie: we'll try to come up with something so you can use that kit. As far as paints go; newly purchased, or left over paint is calculated the same way, with spray being $3 and bottles being $1.50

Boswell: its up to you. If you can find 2 kits and supplies under budget, go for it. Im only using 1 kit because if my paint costs, so whatever works for you.

Edited by TheDocktor40, 02 May 2011 - 03:25 PM.

#23 TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:49 PM

That's why paint is at a set price for this. Paint for us is the same actual price, but to allow the paint to fit into the budget but not take up too much of your budget, the prices are set at an assumed 3 for cans and 1.50 for bottles.

For example:

I buy Tamiya black, tamiya blue, and tamiya red spray for $7 each for a total of $21. But for this challenge, that will add up to $3 each for a total of $9.

Hope that makes more sense.

Edited by TheDocktor40, 02 May 2011 - 03:53 PM.

#24 BOSWELL891

BOSWELL891

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Full Name:Cole Boswell

Posted 02 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

So if i bought a spray can of paint for $5 when i add up all my expenses i would count the spray can as 3 dollars instead of 5?

#25 TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:08 PM

Exactly. We were going to count the true cost of paint towards the budget, but with primer, paint, clear, etc, it would eat up that $50 pretty quickly, so we capped it.

Lol I should stop using my phone to post. Darn autocorrect!

Edited by TheDocktor40, 02 May 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#26 BOSWELL891

BOSWELL891

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 04:24 PM

Ok thanks

#27 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

Jantrix, I understand where you are coming from, but the three of us are just getting into or getting back into the hobby. We realize this isn't much of a challenge to most of the guys here, but to us, it most certainly is. We don't have the bins full of parts, and plenty of leftover paint. We are just starting out and figured we'd challenge each other to get better in a way that is conducive to our situation, and we decided to open it up to anyone who wants to join us in.

Oh. I understand. Sorry I was unaware this was the case. I'm just sort of used to dealing with the rest of the goons here with massive collections and spare parts left over from 30+ years of building, it didn't dawn on me you guys were newer builders. My apologies. Starting from scratch, $50 is a reasonable limit then.

Left over paints? you plan on scraping paint off of a rebuild, and re- applying it to a project? The paint is in the budget, left over or not. It evens the playing field for guys that have been doing this since before I was born and guys that are casual.

Nope was refering to the plethora of 1/2 full spray cans I've got all over my garage.

Edited by Jantrix, 03 May 2011 - 01:08 AM.

#28 Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:26 AM

Posted Image

Working on Body now...got to love sanding :)

Goodbye Shock towers!!!

#29 wontonkiller

wontonkiller

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Andy

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:42 AM

Goodbye Shock towers!!!

SO very true lol

Posted Image

The color I picked

#30 BOSWELL891

BOSWELL891

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:37 PM

The kit and paint. kit $23, spray paint $3, bottle paints $4.50 the grand total is $30.50 i think i did pretty good.
Posted Image

#31 wontonkiller

wontonkiller

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:31 PM

boswell !! Thanks for going us looked like just my 2 other friends at first lol

#32 BOSWELL891

BOSWELL891

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:22 AM

This is one cbp i just knew i wanted to be a part of

#33 GrandpaMcGurk

GrandpaMcGurk

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Full Name:Don

Posted 04 May 2011 - 07:07 AM

I haven't built a small scale model in years but this sounds like fun so let me ask a couple of questions to see if I fall within your "rules".

I bought a 1/25th "Revell Muscle" '71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda a few years back (as reference) for a 1/8th scale Cuda I'm working on, I was somewhat disappointed as the kit has no shocks , clunky inner wheel halves, wrong interior pattern and to top it all off just doesn't just doesn't look right.

I bought it a Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon so the kit cost me about 12 bucks. I also have a resin Gibson Super Stock engine. The engine was given to me by a friend but they cost around twenty bucks or so depending on where you buy them.

I have plenty of paint on hand from other builds including tubes of acrylics (used to be an artist) that occasionally I dip a brush into for weathering etc.

Like I said....I don't normally build small scale so I have no large stash of parts.
The only kit bashed parts will be disc brake calipers taken from a broken die cast model.

You all are familiar with the Plymouth "Super Bird" I'm sure, what I have in mind is turning the Cuda into "Super Fish" as if Plymouth had built it as a street muscle car in the '70's to complete with the Judge, Boss etc, cars of the era.
I have no way of figuring scratch built parts as I generally use scrap plastic, house hold throw aways and I buy fillers, sand paper etc, in bulk for full size stuff.

So it's up to you guys... do I qualify?

#34 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

You all are familiar with the Plymouth "Super Bird" I'm sure, what I have in mind is turning the Cuda into "Super Fish" as if Plymouth had built it as a street muscle car in the '70's to complete with the Judge, Boss etc, cars of the era.

you mean like this one (i call it chicken of the sea)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#35 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:32 AM

The only thing keeping me out is the Vehicle age I have a post '79 car that would be perfect for this build and would not get built otherwise.

Nick

About paint also, what If I can prove the spray can was cheaper than the $3 general cost?

Nick

#36 stewart

stewart

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Full Name:STewart Terrall

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

That is one sick cuda. Nice job on it.
STewart

#37 TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:56 AM

I haven't built a small scale model in years but this sounds like fun so let me ask a couple of questions to see if I fall within your "rules".

I bought a 1/25th "Revell Muscle" '71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda a few years back (as reference) for a 1/8th scale Cuda I'm working on, I was somewhat disappointed as the kit has no shocks , clunky inner wheel halves, wrong interior pattern and to top it all off just doesn't just doesn't look right.

I bought it a Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon so the kit cost me about 12 bucks. I also have a resin Gibson Super Stock engine. The engine was given to me by a friend but they cost around twenty bucks or so depending on where you buy them.

I have plenty of paint on hand from other builds including tubes of acrylics (used to be an artist) that occasionally I dip a brush into for weathering etc.

Like I said....I don't normally build small scale so I have no large stash of parts.
The only kit bashed parts will be disc brake calipers taken from a broken die cast model.

I have no way of figuring scratch built parts as I generally use scrap plastic, house hold throw aways and I buy fillers, sand paper etc, in bulk for full size stuff.

So it's up to you guys... do I qualify?

How about list it as say...$30 for both the model and the motor. That way you have some plenty of room to add paint. Sound fair?

About paint also, what If I can prove the spray can was cheaper than the $3 general cost?

I think to keep it even, I'd have to say count it as $3.

I'll be posting mine up this evening hopefully :lol:

#38 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

What about the age cut-off?

Nick

#39 wontonkiller

wontonkiller

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 06:35 PM

What about the age cut-off?

Nick

61 to 79

:)

#40 TheDocktor40

TheDocktor40

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

Here's mine :) 1968 Le Mans GT40.

Model: $23.10
Paints: $19.50 total (5 sprays, 3 bottles)
Total: $42.60

Posted Image
DSCN1290 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSCN1277 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMAG0415 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMAG0436 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image
IMAG0429 by TheDocktor40, on Flickr

Posted Image