CrewDawg15

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Full Name:Jimmy Nilan

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Thanks guys!

I just got back from the hospital after knee surgery. That means I get a week off work, and more time to fabricate :D...

Thanks for looking, and more to come...

Jimmy

#22 Gray Smith

Gray Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Full Name:Gray

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:08 AM

Jimmy...can you show me a picture of the valve you are questioning? If it's what I think it is, it's pcv related...

oh and this looks great! I look forward to possibly picking one of these up :-)

#23 CrewDawg15

CrewDawg15

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

Jimmy...can you show me a picture of the valve you are questioning? If it's what I think it is, it's pcv related...

oh and this looks great! I look forward to possibly picking one of these up :-)

Thanks for the offer Gray, but Luis (rollin80's) pointed me in the right direction...it is a little elbow that houses the water temp sensor and another switch...something the I'll probably not bother fabricating since it is just as easy to replicate it with thick wire.

I spent the first couple of days after my surgery researching my next project...more to come on that one later ;) I was feeling much better. My wife told me that I looked bored so she set up my work area to make it easier to get around on crutches :D

My friend had a specific list of items he wanted on his motor, so after a few hours reserching, I got cracking on a Greddy/Trust lower oil pan sump, and football intake. He also wanted a 1998 and up Silvia (S15) turbo for this one since he is going to be building his real car the same way.

Posted Image

Here's what she looks like with her new oil pan, intake, and T28 turbo:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

...and yet another in car shot...

Posted Image

While I was at it, I added a few more details that I hadn't got to yet like the water pump, and a few more bolt details.

Thanks for looking,

Jimmy

#24 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,976 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

You're engine fabrication is simply jaw-dropping and inspiring! It's good to see you're well and back on this one.

#25 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:40 AM

Jimmy, the better this looks, the more I start putting off that S13 I finally bought! I was just going to build it curbside, but your SR20DET just looks like it is calling to ALL Fujimi S-series cars!

On a side note, you plan on making this one a regular sale engine (like some of your other excellent engines)?

#26 CrewDawg15

CrewDawg15

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Yeah Mike...I've got 250+ curbside kits in my collection. That gives me plenty of practice, as I plan on motorzing every one of them :)

Bradley...you bet I'll be casting this one :D ...as well as a S14/15 vvt head and hump back valve cover. I also have a CA18DET in the works too. And of course I can not leave out the KA24E, and KA24DE for all of you domestic, and Canadian builders wanting 240SX's...might as well since Fujimi included a left hand drive dash in almost all of these kits ;)

But these will have to wait as I've shifted gears, and started working in the chassis mods...more to come.

Jimmy

#27 Gray Smith

Gray Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

as a person who got first hand experience with installations of both the greddy oil pan and the intake, you hit them DEAD ON...color me extremely impressed

yeah, go ahead and put me down for 4 of these when you get the molds made.....i've got so many things they could be used in...shoot I'll build one and detail it out just to put on a motor stand...lol

#28 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

wow that detail is spectacular! you oughta work for Fujimi!

#29 CrewDawg15

CrewDawg15

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the stamp of approval Gray...I wasn't too sure if I got the intake right since I only have pictures that I got off the net for reference, and it has a really odd shape to it.

JB...I don't know about that. If I got paid on commission, I'd be broke at the pace I build...but, I wouldn't mind lighting a fire under their behind and mold a '60's Toyota Corona GT4 to go with my other '60's and '70's Isuzu, Mazda, Nissan, and Toyota kits (I already have a lot of references for the 9R engine to go in it ;).)

I have been marathoning the engine bay for the last two days almost strait (gotta eat sometime :lol:). I mainly concentrated on reworking the wheelwells to get a better profile than the sqare one the Fujimi used for the chassis...I really cannot fault them since this kit [s supposed to be a curbside :lol:

...Fujimi never saw me coming

I'm glad Fujimi did make the wheelwells really meaty (nearly 2mm thick in some areas) because I really dug in deep with my file to round out a somewhat rounded shape. So I re-worked the wheel wells, built up the sides, a firewall, fabricated new strut towers, built up a core support, and removed the dummy tranny and made a proper tunnel.

For reference, here's my new chassis, and one that has not been FuJimmyfied :D :

Posted Image

...and how she looks close up:

Posted Image
Posted Image

and to close it out with a before:

Posted Image

and after:

Posted Image

As always, this bay is not complete. I still have a few more details to add to it before I'm happy.

Thanks for looking.
Jimmy

#30 Deathgoblin

Deathgoblin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Wilson

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

really nice work so far! :) You should start casting some of these engines. They're beautiful.

#31 mr.camaro

mr.camaro

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Full Name:Kyle Anderson

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:50 PM

Amazing work. Nice to see a clean 180 without a rb motor.

Edited by mr.camaro, 24 January 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#32 TurboKitty

TurboKitty

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Full Name:Michelle Blanchard

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

I am amazed at your scratchbuilding skills, do you have a website that has pictures of your previous work on it by any chance? Or where you possibly sell engines that you've already mastered? I would love to get one of these for a future project!

#33 CrewDawg15

CrewDawg15

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:53 PM

Brian...before this build is finished, there will be copies pulled from this master. I never keep an original in my builds. I Fab them up, pull molds, and then put them in a storage container for future molds. This one will get one of those copies I cast up.

Kyle, if i remember correctly, Arii makes a1/24 '77 Celica coupe kit. I cannot vouch for the details as I've never had my hands on one. I can tell you it is a curbside though.

Michelle...being active duty Air Force leaves little time to cast on a large scale. I don't have any websites. Most customers contact me via PM.

Thanks ya'll

Jimmy

#34 Gray Smith

Gray Smith

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

Excellent job on the engine bay...I say cast that up too...lol

i'm checking in everyday to look at this...great stuff!

#35 CrewDawg15

CrewDawg15

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:36 AM

Thanks Gray! I took a bit of a break from this one this weekend to work on some other commissions. I was hitting this one hard and heavy, and got a little carried away. Now that I've taken a breather, I noticed a few things that I want to re-do. That's just the way I am...the more I look at something, the more I see things that I could have done better on. That's what I always do on my engines as you can see in this thread already...the engine that I'm using now, is not the same engine I started off with :lol:

Jimmy