tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Full Name:Charles King

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

Another build to be added to my roster:

Been working on this for some time now and still got a little brushing up and small details to add before I am satisfied.

The inspiration for this little vignette comes from a photo I had seen on the net. I think it was taken in Afghanistan. So far this is my interpretation of such a scene of an IED Humvee attack; The name of the dio would be announced after I decide on the figures:

Here is the pic from which I got my inspiration:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tiking, 07 June 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#42 Dirkpitt289

Dirkpitt289

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Full Name:Dirk Pitt

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

That is some really impressive modeling you got going on there. WOW!!!

#43 Clay

Clay

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
  • Full Name:Clay Jones

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

That radar picture is pretty neat. What's the name of it? My gear connects to the AN/TPS 59 that looks very similar that one except it.is three trailers.

#44 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Your work is extremely fresh and thought provoking. Excellent composition and details all around!

#45 Sixx

Sixx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • Full Name:Derrick Six

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:33 PM

Absolutely AWESOME work man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#46 tiking

tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

That radar picture is pretty neat. What's the name of it? My gear connects to the AN/TPS 59 that looks very similar that one except it.is three trailers.

Thanks guys. that radar unit combo is just something I concocted as a concept.

#47 Sixx

Sixx

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts
  • Full Name:Derrick Six

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Keep up the awesome work!! I love cars & stuff, this military ( yours ) stuff is so cool!!!

#48 tiking

tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Thanks sixx.

#49 Sticks

Sticks

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:Evan

Posted 23 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

What a collection they are fantastic. Well done.

#50 tiking

tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:23 AM

Thanks.

#51 g33man21

g33man21

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Full Name:Graham Gill

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:15 AM

Is this a kit in 1:35??? Looks great as do the rest of your models... thanks

Posted Image

#52 tiking

tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hi Graham. thanks for the comments. No, The basis for the model is a 1/32 toy-like remote control from NewRay (never heard of them before) Naturally, there were many mistakes and inaccuracies on this vehicle when I bought it. Quite understandable as it wasn't meant to be a a collectible item but merely a simple toy for kids around the age of 5-7 years of age. My interest was to build a wheel loader after seeing Mig's version but didn't want to spend the amount they were asking for the model(yes, I know...cheap person ;) )

Anyhow, I wasn't too fond of the look of Mig's version, as I wanted something more
heavy-looking. Since there weren't anything in kit form, especially in 1/35 scale, I decided to look at other alternatives. So I was out grocery shopping and spotted this toy-like wheel loader. I stopped and looked at it and my mind started as usual sketching out the design aspects. I noticed it was not much of a model with not detailing what-so-ever, and a remote control toy at that. So I forgot about it, although I took noticed of the name of this particular model brand and decided I'll do a search on the net, just for the hell of it.

Doing an INTERNET search for this particular vehicle brand version I noticed I would have to do an extreme modification of the toy wheel loader if I wanted a nice representation of the real wheel loader. So after many days of contemplation and preparation I decided to buy the toy and go to work on it. Like I mentioned before, I did a reasonable amount of re-construction and refurbishing to get it to look like a descent enough model to be displayed. I had to remove all the remote devices and spokes motors and what-nots from within the toy loader. All sealed-up
openings had to be cut out as well as other areas had to be cut out like on the real vehicle. Some parts were removed and new scratch built pieces were used in it's place. It was a good bit of work but the results was all worth it.
All grab-irons, hydraulic hoses, pipings, antennae, wipers, support window braces, hinges, side view mirrors support braces, air intake, step grills, mud guards, rear view mirror and a drag hook were all scratch built.

Since I wanted a military version look I decided to paint it green and added all the necessary details like the strobe light and antennae. I think the end result really stands out than the original toy-like wheel loader. Now, this particular model is the L220E Wheel Loader manufacture by Volvo. I personally have no idea if this particular model exist in military colors but regardless if one exist or not, it does look good wearing the military color scheme, for sure.

This is the 1/32 scale Volvo L220E Wheel loader. Took me 6 days to get the results you see in the pics. I later sold it to a collector.

The original Front loader:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by tiking, 03 May 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#53 Chillyb1

Chillyb1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • Full Name:Curtis

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Sensory overload!! There is way too much here to take in in just one sitting. I have recently accumulated several military kits and photoetch sets so I can attempt some of this kind of work. I really love looking at these kinds of realistically weathered models. Thanks for the inspiration.

#54 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,644 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:38 AM

Outstanding conversion of the toy frontloader into a highly accurate and detailed scale model. B)

#55 Speedster

Speedster

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Full Name:Jeffrey Riedesel

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:50 AM

NICE!

#56 tiking

tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Sensory overload!! There is way too much here to take in in just one sitting. I have recently accumulated several military kits and photoetch sets so I can attempt some of this kind of work. I really love looking at these kinds of realistically weathered models. Thanks for the inspiration.

I am only and humbly happy to have inspired someone. Thank you for you uplifting comments.

Outstanding conversion of the toy frontloader into a highly accurate and detailed scale model. B)

Thank you. I also did another conversion of a child's toy, but it was a compact roller; see here: http://www.modelcars...l=&fromsearch=1

#57 modelmike

modelmike

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Full Name:mike meneley

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:47 AM

WOW! thats all just WOW!

#58 sports850

sports850

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Full Name:Ian White

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

I've only just found this thread , absolutely amazing work . If it wasn't for the timber bases I wouldn't know whether they were full sized or models for the most part .

#59 tiking

tiking

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks guys. Appreciate you took the time to view this thread.

#60 Brizio

Brizio

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Full Name:Fabrizio Fae

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:04 AM

Great stuff man!