Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Engine Reference Books

If you're anything like me you don't know a heck of a lot about the internal combustion engine( except the obvious dump most of your disposable income into your tank and go) but enjoy building models. There are a lot of great pics of some nice looking engines on the net but where does the other end of that wire or line go..and more importantly what is it? I borrowed a book for my mechanic uncle a few months ago, and it's just great! It's actually a text book called Auto Mechanics Fundamentals. It's easy to read and understand, and has a ton of useful diagrams.

I found a few more books at the local Used book stores, Readers Digest/CAA's Complete Car Care Manual is another great source of information with diagrams.

As well as Complete Guide to Auto Repair - Keep your American of Foreign Car Running Great.

I'm finding these books to be invaluable sources of information on Engine components, fuel systems, electrical systems, cooling and heating systems as well as brake systems. Some of these diagrams are exploded views (especially the Chilton Auto Repair Manual 1060-1970 I found for $3.00) that would probably benefit the scratch builder in many of you.

Anyway, I checked Amazon and they have 2 of the books I have on hand, used and dirt cheap.

Complete Guide to Auto Repair : Keep Your American or Foreign Car Running Great

Readers Digest Complete Car Care Manual

The one I purchased used from Amazon is a Textbook by Martin W Stockel and Martin T Stockel called Auto Mechanics Fundamentals. I bought 2 actually. The first one was the 1995 edition, when I got it, it had changed quite a lot from my Uncles 1981 edition. More computer stuff and diagrams that seemed confusing to me. I checked every day for a few weeks, and was lucky enough to find someone selling the same 1981 edition my Uncle had lent to me.

I wanted to share this with you guys, hoping some people would benefit from them as much as I have.

• 1 month later...