Benz Mercs.....

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:43 PM

Having nevah done this before, please bear with me. I have seen as how some of yall luve those german Mercs....and having always had a hard time turning down real steals..er ahem deals, I bought these two for 10 bucks a piece. So I thought I would share them with yall.

Probably do this in two posts, around 20 pics. Crtiques welcomed. :wink:

Posted Image
actually 3 kits, forgot tha wheels for tha S 500
Posted Image
Posted Image
Protar S 500
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I wish it were not silver plastic, don't know if tha rear view shows tha prominent swirl mark and tha inside view shows a very deep undercut for a sunroof...and tha chrome looks like a satin finish, not sure this is correct? :( , but other wise it's a pretty clean curbside.

zeb

#2 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 05:55 PM

As I said before...critques welcomed, I should add that I am not a big fan of removing tha parts from their bags until I'm ready to model them, but if neccessary---suggest.

From Revell - Germany, .....I think.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
This looks like a much nicer kit, no flash that I can find and mold lines are very small, complete engine and goof chrome. :(

zeb

#3 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the mini review Zeb! Looks like a nice kit...............at least they give you an uptop, but does it have the hardtop also?

I like how they braced the body at the A pillars........always a trouble spot in convertibles.

#4 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:12 AM

No Hardtop Bill, but I'd bet yu could reconfigure tha uptop with some creative modeling. :wink:
I wonder what class of amateur racer this cabrio would run in, anybody know? :D

zeb

#5 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:30 PM

Zeb,

That 300SL-24 indeed is Revell Germany, vintage around 1990. Revell USA issued the kit also for a short time in a short-lived "Premium" series around 1991. It's quite a nice model indeed.

Besides Revell, Tamiya and Fujimi also did kits of that vintage Mercedes SL. The Japanese kits are of the 5 litre V8 powered 500SL version, while Revell Germany's piece has the 3 litre 24 valve straight six (hence 300SL-24). If you really wanted a hardtop on the Revell kit, you could swipe it from Tamiya's or Fujimi's and make it fit.

#6 horsepower

horsepower

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:07 PM

All of the late Mercedes that I've got have all had the matte finish on the chrome, it didn't matter what manufacturer it was. I don't think that you will like this kit, want to make you're money back? (LOL)

#7 Guest_zebm1_*

Guest_zebm1_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2007 - 04:14 AM

Tha other benz has shiny brite chrome...and no I don't sell them, but I do occasionaly trade 'em.

zeb

#8 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:04 PM

two things for sure:

blue oyster cult needs MORE COWBELL

and

benzios need gold wheels.

:roll:

#9 larrygre

larrygre

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Full Name:Larry A. Greenberg

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:22 PM

Zeb,

The Protar S500 is the same plastic as the Revell Germany S500 and the Italeri S600 (except the Italeri kit has different wheels). I did a full review of the Italeri kit in MODEL CARS a couple of years ago, I don't know exactly in what issue it was published at the moment. It's very workable, but the "back-less" seats aggravated me a bit, and the flimsy axle pins will need replacement by some metal items.

The Fujimi gold wire wheels look good, but they might just look a tad small in the wheel wells of the big S. I used Fujimi's AMG 18 inchers on mine, and those meats filled up the wells real nicely.

FYI, Protar was bought by Italeri three years ago.