#1 raymanz

raymanz

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Full Name:Ray D Sewell

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Found out something very useful today.While twisting the tie back on a loaf of bread,I noticed the wire inside the tie.So I stripped away the covering and had a small bendable wire. This is useful in many apps for modeling and it's bendable and keeps it's shape.Just thought I'd pass it on to you guys-Give it a look and recycle those ties for a better use than throwing them away. :D

#2 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:39 PM

i use a similair type of wire for all sorts of stuff
just the other day i was scratchbuilding an exhaust and i needed to mate a piece of sprue to some 1/8th styrene tubing and i drilled a hole in the sprue and supergleud the wire in there
then i supergleud the wire in the tubing and put some testors on the joint

these twisty ties would work great for that

#3 sak

sak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Kovak

Posted 17 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

The metal wire inside plastic paper clips works good too, easily bendable but holds shape

#4 pepperdrumstix

pepperdrumstix

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Full Name:Patrick Mitchell

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Those ties would be perfect for hard fuel lines to a carb from the fuel pump or fuel bar on the firewall on a multi-carbed motor. Good tip and thanks. Patrick M

#5 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

Great idea.....now that twisties are long gone here, replaced by plastic clips....Oh well....I still have PB &J B) B)

#6 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:12 AM

I grab the twist ties that come in the box with the plastic garbage bags we buy. We normally tie the tops of the bags "rabbit-ear" style, so all the ties that come in the box are "extra". Also, having never been twisted, they're nice and straight and I think the wire is a little higher quality than the bread-ties.

David G.

#7 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:17 AM

Smiths food store here in Turkey town has bundles of them in the vegetable department for tying off the bags you bag the vegeies in,,, not advocating stealing or anything but from time to time have gotten a few for a few projects......

#8 spad007

spad007

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Basford

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:19 AM

And twist tie's from power cable's and paper staples from what ever you un-stapled...Posted Image

#9 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:51 AM

I would second David' G's suggestion. We also "tie" our garbage bags rabbit-ear style, so I have collected a bunch of nice, straight twist tie wires from several boxes of bags.

Edited by futurattraction, 25 May 2011 - 05:51 AM.

#10 Mysterion

Mysterion

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Full Name:Ron Richard

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:21 AM

When the bread loaves have the square or rectangular plastic clips, I save them and use them as disposable body putty spreaders.

#11 joemac

joemac

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:joe mac

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

I use the little plastic clips for projects, as they're polystyrene.

The wire ties have extremely useful wire in them for all manner of repair and fabrication.

#12 ericfreeman

ericfreeman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Eric

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:34 PM

In regards to the twist ties in the vegetable department, I would imagine if you soaked the twisties overnight in water the paper would peel off rather easily, then running the wire through a paper towel soaked in paint thinner or acetone would get rid of any remaining adhesive. BTW I would never condone stealing these from a grocery store. However, when I am paying over $3.00 a pound for tomatoes I will usually twist one of the ties around the bag to keep thing from falling out and put another dozen or so in my pocket just in case the one on the bag falls off.