Real or Model #166

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Real or model? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Real or model?

1. Voted Real (16 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. Voted Model (52 votes [76.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:30 PM

Holy slippery slope, Batman. When they do F1 PR shots, or the "presentation" press releases, the line between "model" and "real" is blurry. Often the cars are a spare of last year's "real" race car dummied up to look like the new one, or a prototype/test car that isn't in driveable condition anymore. But only a handful of people know for sure, since sometimes the cars shown are real-deal racers.

Mark, you bring up a very valid point, the show cars NASCAR teams use for promotions at your local car dealer or supermarket are just like you said, an older car "modeled" after the current car. I've had the honor to speak with some of the show car drivers of a few NASCAR teams, and have asked about the cars, and that is always the answer. They take a older chassis that is either outdated or not raceworthy, take an older engine and really "make a model" of the new car.

The slippery slope in this case, most of these "model" showcars might be "reissues" of older cars for new versions, but most all of them I've seen, the driver of the show car hauler is usually on his own, and drives the car into the trailer! They may be models made from older cars to represent newer cars, but when that "old" engine fires up, there's a REAL shake in the ground!!!!

#42 highway

highway

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
  • Full Name:Matthew Brownlee, card carrying member of the Donnie Boger fan club

Posted 27 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

The only big difference is the technology gap...NASCAR glamour cars are pretty easy to keep running. All they need is a crate motor with a choppy cam.

Yeah, you are right, I was looking at the pics in the link Harry posted, and I think that steering wheel alone shows the tech gap! :lol: