#1 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Full Name:Tony Durham

Posted 28 May 2011 - 06:11 AM

I've always been interested in the dawn of the automobile and how it has affected our lives. I have many 1/32 scale antique and vintage models built form kits manufactured by companies such as Highway Pioneers, Gowland and Gowland, Airfix, Pyro and subsequent reissues by Revel and Lindberg, etc. I will post many of these in future threads but thought you may be interested in some scratchbuilt WWI replicas built from basic kits.

First a Model T Ford Ambulance built from the re-issue by Lindberg of the original Pyro Model T couplet (convertible) kit:

Posted Image

Next is a Rolls Royce Ambulance built from an Airfix Rolls Royce Town car kit:

Posted Image

An armoured (Polish campaign) car also from the Pyro Model T kit:

Posted Image

And a Renault Military truck from the same era built from the Pyro Renault Town Car:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not what we normally see on the forum, but I hope you enjoy......

Tony

#2 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Gibbons

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:24 AM

These are great! I also saw your motorhome, which is awesome. I especially like the Renault truck conversion. I also build in 1/32. I have a 1928 Mercedes Benz SSK I'm working on, and a 1932 Chrysler in the pile. Add some AMT/Revell and Gunze Sangyo cars from the '50s in 1/32 that will keep me busy for a while. Excellent work, and looking forward to seeing more from you.

#3 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Jim.... this is just the "tip of the iceberg".

Glad to see another 1/32 scale fan. I've been collecting and building these kits for most of my life, so I could probably keep this series going for many years! Like to see some of yours, if possible.

Tony

#4 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Jim.... this is just the "tip of the iceberg".

Glad to see another 1/32 scale fan. I've been collecting and building these kits for most of my life, so I could probably keep this series going for many years! Like to see some of yours, if possible.

Tony

Will do. Many of my older builds I've given away and haven't any photos. I hope to get the SSK finished soon. That is one of Pyro's nicest models. Excellent engine engraving, etc. The '32 Chrysler will take a while, as the plating is really poor and the brown plastic shows through. I will have to strip it and send out for replating. I think the Pyro 1/32 vintage and classic series are far underrated; they do build into very nice models.

#5 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:13 AM

The '32 Chrysler will take a while, as the plating is really poor and the brown plastic shows through. I will have to strip it and send out for replating. I think the Pyro 1/32 vintage and classic series are far underrated; they do build into very nice models.

Replating is expensive. I've re-done chrome by stripping off the old and spraying gloss black... then brush painting Alcad over the black. I know it's not the the accepted method but let each coat of Alcad dry out for a couple of minutes and two or three coats should do it. This photo was taken "in progress". Here's an example where the kit came with no chrome on the bumper at all. I haven't cleared it so I expect it would come even brighter if I did: (I didn't "chrome" the wheels or headlamps.. just the bumper.)

Posted Image

I have few on the bench as well. Some almost done.... others barely started.

#6 LDO

LDO

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Those are some really cool builds. Check out the September 1989 Fine Scale Modeler for plans on the Rolls-Royce Armored Car. IIRC, the author built it in 1/24 or 1/25 and used some old Airfix Bentley parts.

#7 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,512 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:20 PM

Nice builds, Tony. That Armoured car is over-the-top cool.

Charlie Larkin

#8 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Lee.

I haven't seen that issue of Fine Scale Modeller.

Both the Rolls Royce and Model T armoured car kits are available in 1/35 scale from the Czech company whose name I can't remember. They also have a series of Model T's including a scout car and "petrol" wagon. They aren't bad kits but the details are a little heavy and look kinda "chunky" whne built.

But I've never seen anything in 1/24 or 1/25 scale before. The Airfix Bentley was issued in both 1/32 scale and "big" 1/12 scale but Heller did a 1/24 scale Bentley so that was probably used.

If you have that Magazine, is it possible to scan the relevant pages and PM me with a copy of them?

Tony

#9 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Tony, thanks for the Alcad tip. I will give it a whirl. The bumper on the Triumph looks really good. I have a partially completed Pyro '52 Chevy wagon that stalled as I wasn't satisfied with the results of using BMF on the bumpers, grille, etc. I also have a few 1/43 Heller kits that your method might work on. I don't have an airbrush, so this will be worth trying.

#10 Jim Gibbons

Jim Gibbons

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

I also build paper models, and just read the email from Fiddler's Green about their release of a Ford Light Tank model. It looks fairly simple, and could be scaled to 1/32. Here's the link: http://www.fiddlersg...8-WWI-Tank.html

#11 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,672 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

Posted Image

All are very cool models... but I have to wonder about the "armored car" with the spindly wheels and tires out there with no protection whatsoever!!! They really didn't think the "armored" theory through very well, did they? :unsure:

#12 GTMust

GTMust

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

Thanks Charlie and Harry.

The Fiddler's Green site looks interesting, Jim. Thanks

I can't believe the design of the armoured car either, especially with those wild graphics. But it's a true (as close as I can get) copy of the actual vehicle/s. I guess those were still the chivalry days of "be seen and shot at".

Tony

#13 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:13 AM

imagine trying to shoot the tires off those spindly wheels from 6-800 yards away, while under fire yourself ! WWI was a maelstrom of change in tactics from start to end; the combatants used everything at their disposal to develop new weapons and platforms. i'd imagine too, that a standard T would be hard pressed to handle very much armor plate; i bet most of it was less than 3/4" thick..... the operators would have to rely on nimble driving as much as machine guns and armor!

neat set of models, BTW.... i wanted to build T E Lawrence's Rolls-Royce armoured cars from the Turkish Campaign, but finding the correct base kits at affordable prices is ... difficult.