#41 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:27 PM

Jim, my boy has a 2009 or so custom 442 in a purle/green colour, but without the stripes, its a ncie little car
i dont supose you have a strip version of the corvair you'd like to replicate do you (wink wink)

I'm still thinking about either the Nomad or the 442 if I can manage to dig them up. If I can't, there is still the "Vairy-8", which is a mid-engined, V-8 powered Corvair coupe. I've been planning on doing something along those lines for a while now and this might just be the time to do it.

#42 torinobradley

torinobradley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Bradley

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:43 AM

I had started one a while back for a simular build on another board but it lost momentum. Just want to share a pic or three with you guys for inspiration but it won't qualify for the build, and, I doubt I could get it done in time with all my current responsibilities.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Has an AMT Parts Pack hemi with Flamethrower magneto, rear transaxle and suspension from a GT40, pinched frame, modified track nose, full louvered belly pan, disks and tires from a Monogram Green Hornet and a lot of other bits & pieces. I'm sure I will finish it someday as it looks really cool. Was going to paint it to match the Mooneyes ones.

#43 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts
  • Full Name:Eelco Egelmeer

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

let us know what you decide Jim and ill ad you to the list

Andrew, thats a nice start, hopefully you get to finish it someday

as for my build, i got about 20 minutes into it when i asked the wifey if she thought the keystone klassics looked good and she awnsered, not really
she said she thought she had seen some better matching rims in my partsbox somewhere (i musta asked her opion on them before) so i told her to look for them

sure enough she found a set of porsche rollers that came with a VW street machine bug
she did tell me to loose the pink on them (the VW was molded in pink and i hadnt bothered to paint the wheelbacks yet)

so now it will roll on porsche rims B)

oh, and the body is in primer and the hemi is mostly put together

#44 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  • Full Name:Jairus

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:51 PM

Okay, kept at it and managed to find a fair copy of an Antifreeze colored Deora for my build. (Paint on this thing is not that great....) Body (of the 1/25th) is glued together so now attention is turned to the chassis and wheels.

Posted Image
:(

P.S. NICE START Andrew! I hope you finish it.

Edited by Jairus, 13 June 2011 - 12:53 PM.

#45 Lunajammer

Lunajammer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Laliberte

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

That's my sentimental favorite Jairus. It was my very first Hot Wheels back in '68. I still have it and it's not lost, but the surf boards were absorbed by the toy box about 1973. A slightly chipped but decent and the wheels are straight. Since mine was green I look forward to your project.

#46 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:29 PM

nice Jairus,
i like that one way bestester then the rootbeer coloured one
almost feel like the rims are sportier aswell

looks like you glued in the front windshield frame ?
im planning on doing the same with mine, dont see the need to open it :(

#47 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron James

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:38 PM

Man this thread is going to be amazing!

Come on 53 bug kit! There's gotta be one out there somewhere :(

#48 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:04 PM

i had a little look at the GTX today and i noticed something...with the wider rear tires im not going to clear the rear fenders so i will be narrowing the rear axle
this will move the tires in so the body will clear and it will move the springs in so that they will sit on top of the frame rails rather then besides them...should be about a 4 inch lift but i can live with that

#49 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

Quick mock-up to check proportions. Couldn't find the right set of wheels yet so went with a blank set of aluminum rims that I can inset the right faces.
Hate the boards as they are not correct compared to the 1/1 items.
But, it's all about matching the Hot Wheels car isn't it?

Anyone found a set of wheels that are close? 1966 - 67 Chevelle maybe?
Posted Image
;)

#50 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:20 AM

hey, thats a good start Jairus

those boards look good to me
(not sure if they look right to 1:1s, ive only played with the ones equiped with sails before) but they look good compared to the hotwheel and that is what we're going for :D

heres a quick mockup of mine, this is how the rideheight will be with the narrowed rear end
it really shows off the rims i found, their porsche rollers that came with a VW bug streetrod

Posted Image

#51 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:32 AM

hey, thats a good start Jairus

those boards look good to me
(not sure if they look right to 1:1s, ive only played with the ones equiped with sails before) but they look good compared to the hotwheel and that is what we're going for :D

heres a quick mockup of mine, this is how the rideheight will be with the narrowed rear end
it really shows off the rims i found, their porsche rollers that came with a VW bug streetrod

Posted Image

Great progres mate, i'm off to a slow start, sourcing a 53 beetle, let alone a beetle is damned hard to do in my hick town lol

#52 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

Anyone found a set of wheels that are close? 1966 - 67 Chevelle maybe?

Jairus, that would be the closest that I can think of. I want to use those for my Sand Crab, but they'll need some massaging to fit in those funky tires!

Then there's the redlines that I have to figure out how to get on said tires.................. :D

I found the kit after some digging.............I've had it so long that I forgot that it was started!. :D I've got to do some disassembling and try to rework it. I'm going to change the "roll bar" somewhat to more suit the Hot Wheels car. I'll try to get some pics up before the weekend is over.

#53 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:59 AM

Yes, this is what I am looking for. Seems the Lindberg '66 Chevelle is perfect and there are lots of them on ebay right now. I have a '66 Chevelle wagon kit in my stuff but I'm pretty sure the Torque thrust wheels are all that's in that one (no stock). Can I get a confirmation from someone please?

Posted Image

Edited by Jairus, 17 June 2011 - 05:07 AM.

#54 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,237 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:59 AM

Yes, this is what I am looking for. Seems the Lindberg '66 Chevelle is perfect and there are lots of them on ebay right now. I have a '66 Chevelle wagon kit in my stuff but I'm pretty sure the Torque thrust wheels are all that's in that one (no stock). Can I get a confirmation from someone please?

Posted Image

Jairus, the Lindberg kit has 'em,the wagon don't. I have a set from the Lindberg kit and I also have a set from the Revell Z-16 Chevelle. The Lindberg's are used,the Z-16's are new. Send a PM if interested.

#55 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:04 AM

Those would be it Jairus! :unsure: I happen to have an extra resin set that I got by mistake at a show when I thought they were for a Shelby (those would work as well).

I didn't want to pitch them, and I'm glad I didn't as they would be perfect for replicating Hot Wheels "mag wheels".

#56 diymirage

diymirage

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:25 AM

those chevelle wheels do look spot on

good find guys

Bill, im sure i have an extra set of redline decals from the 69 charger laying around
shoot me a PM if you want them.

Aaron, have you tried ebay ?
there is always something on there :lol:

#57 Jairus

Jairus

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:33 AM

My favorite line up of Hot Wheels cars have to be the original Sweet Sixteen released on 8 to 10 year old kids (of which I was one) back in 1968! Most of these have had corresponding kits released over time and some of them are on many of our shelves right now! All one needs is the desire and a set of Chevelle wheels (and redline tires) to build!

Posted Image

1. Beatnick Bandit - Revell kit recently reissued couple years ago. Dang thing is small!
2. Custom Firebird - Use the Revell '68 Firebird kit as a basis. Reissued at least twice in the last 10 years!
3. Ford J Car - Old IMC kit will cost you a cool $150+, if you can find one.
4. Custom Corvette - The 1969 showcar released in 68 before the real 1/1 car. A Scoop if there ever was one.
5. Custom T-Bird - The AMT '69 T-Bird kit has not been reissued in a long time leaving vintage kits way out in the stratosphere.
6. Silhouette - AMT reissued this kit a short time back as a Prestige kit and then later with the trailer. Should be easy to find.
7. Custom Barracuda - MPC kit reissued by the old AMT some 8 - 10 years ago. Still easy to find.
8. Custom Cougar - '67 Cougar kit by AMT, not easy to find but out there. (NO the '69 is not "close enough")
9. Custom Fleetside - '72 Chevrolet fleeside by AMT is still around. Pop on a 1968 ElCamino roof and some body work... Done.
10. Custom VW - Tough one, Revell's old VW kit is junk and the Hasegawa kit is too expensive. Opening sunroof, neat car, I had one!
11. Hot Heap - Typical Model T hot rod based on the 1925 bucket and fenders. Not hard to find.
12. Custom Camaro - AMT '67, most of us have one of these on our shelves, even me a Ford guy!
13. Custom Eldorado - No current kits that I know of, but AMT had a kit back in '69.
14. Custom Mustang - 1968 Snakebite Mustang by AMT. Incorrect inner fenders and chassis so... perfect for this slammer project! Ha.
15. Deora - MPC kit last released 1987, lots on eBay for about $20.00
16. Python - No current kits available, very old styrene if you can find one. Not sure who molded it but my friend Bob Jungblut has one. :rolleyes:

#58 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

My favorite line up of Hot Wheels cars have to be the original Sweet Sixteen released on 8 to 10 year old kids (of which I was one) back in 1968! Most of these have had corresponding kits released over time and some of them are on many of our shelves right now! All one needs is the desire and a set of Chevelle wheels (and redline tires) to build!

Posted Image

1. Beatnick Bandit - Revell kit recently reissued couple years ago. Dang thing is small!
2. Custom Firebird - Use the Revell '68 Firebird kit as a basis. Reissued at least twice in the last 10 years!
3. Ford J Car - Old IMC kit will cost you a cool $150+, if you can find one.
4. Custom Corvette - The 1969 showcar released in 68 before the real 1/1 car. A Scoop if there ever was one.
5. Custom T-Bird - The AMT '69 T-Bird kit has not been reissued in a long time leaving vintage kits way out in the stratosphere.
6. Silhouette - AMT reissued this kit a short time back as a Prestige kit and then later with the trailer. Should be easy to find.
7. Custom Barracuda - MPC kit reissued by the old AMT some 8 - 10 years ago. Still easy to find.
8. Custom Cougar - '67 Cougar kit by AMT, not easy to find but out there. (NO the '69 is not "close enough")
9. Custom Fleetside - '72 Chevrolet fleeside by AMT is still around. Pop on a 1968 ElCamino roof and some body work... Done.
10. Custom VW - Tough one, Revell's old VW kit is junk and the Hasegawa kit is too expensive. Opening sunroof, neat car, I had one!
11. Hot Heap - Typical Model T hot rod based on the 1925 bucket and fenders. Not hard to find.
12. Custom Camaro - AMT '67, most of us have one of these on our shelves, even me a Ford guy!
13. Custom Eldorado - No current kits that I know of, but AMT had a kit back in '69.
14. Custom Mustang - 1968 Snakebite Mustang by AMT. Incorrect inner fenders and chassis so... perfect for this slammer project! Ha.
15. Deora - MPC kit last released 1987, lots on eBay for about $20.00
16. Python - No current kits available, very old styrene if you can find one. Not sure who molded it but my friend Bob Jungblut has one. :rolleyes:

that is sweet thanx for the info man! :lol:

#59 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:51 PM

Word of warning guys, Dont get the Beatnik Bandit kit unless it's for parts or you have the patience of a saint becasue it is a %&$^ to put together lol

#60 Roadkill2525

Roadkill2525

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts
  • Full Name:You know what it is.

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:15 PM

Jairus, the Python is the AMt Car Craft Dream Rod

Posted Image