How Many Hours Per Week Do You Spend Modeling?

• You cannot reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic

#21 Nick Winter

Nick Winter

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,926 posts
  • Full Name:Nicholas J. Winter

Posted 14 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

Well with a part time job, school + homework and what ever else life throws at me maybe around 5-7 hours a week during the Spring/Summer/Fall, Winter is more or less around 8-9 hours a week, the fall and summer seem to be my busiest times with My other hobbies (Hunting and Fishing). Always find time If I can especially if I need to relax.

Nick

That reminds me, I've got parts drying that need collected.

#22 brett

brett

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts
  • Full Name:Brett

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:10 PM

on average 15-25 most weeks. Thats averaging 3 hrs week nights and either one day or spread over both on the weekend. Depends if the must/have to get this finished for is kicking in or not.

#23 Evilmonkeyman

Evilmonkeyman

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Hannah

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

Maybe an hour or so a week, sometimes I will sit at the bench for a few hours if the weather is not so great.

I do spent more time tinkering in the cold months (i.e non-fishing months)

#24 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron James

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

you have to build, collecting kits if fun, but building is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better fun!!! Open a kit and no matter how it turns out build it, as you go along skills get better and so do the builds..... I only average 1 maybe 2 builds finished a year but try to do more for time reasons.

Cool, out of the 13 kits I've bought this year I have made around 11 or 12 complete cars using parts mostly. to date I have built:

32 Ford Coupe
32 Ford rat Rod (was the coupe) in collection
36 Ford Coupe
36 Ford Rat Rod (again, was the coupe above) in collection
32 Ford Rat Rod in collection
70 Mustang in collection
80 Bronco in collection
53 Chev Corvette in collection
49 Ford in collection

there's probably more there but i can't remember lol!
49 Mercury Utility Custom
69 General Lee
Ford F250 Super Duty Aussie Ute (now in bits in the parts box

#25 Jeff Johnston

Jeff Johnston

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

Maybe 8 hours...all Friday and Sat nights, Maybe Sat and Sunday. Rarely if ever on a week day.

#26 XJ6

XJ6

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Full Name:Don Veihle

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

I want to thank all of you for the replys on this topic, for i have been in a slump, have not been at my work bench (well just to sigh) ;) for at least 3 weeks..well you all have got me out of my slump.. Back at the Work bench..and i spent the whole day (9hrs) working on my Kit..(Tamiya - Lotus Type 79 "1978" Kit.20060)started this kit 3 months ago and still have 14 steps to go..But just today steps 11. & 12. are Done!.
Anyway my point is you all have inspired me to get to Building...and so be it !!!!
Thanks All...Cheers :)

#27 DiscoSpud

DiscoSpud

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Full Name:Aaron James

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:05 PM

No worries mate, for me sometimes if i get sick of building hotrods, I'll build rat roda, and if i get sick of cars that are slammed to the ground.... I do a stupid thing and buy a "donks" kit lol/ Keeps the flow going anyways.

#28 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,213 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Clocked in ten hours at the bench yesterday! Didn't seem to make much more than a mess, though. Did make some minor progress on a few projects, and may have started a few new ones.

#29 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

On an average I ruin models about 4-5 hours a week only. I shold really allocate more time, which is one of my resolutions after the house move this weekend.

#30 my66s55

my66s55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

As many as I feel like. You know, or maybe not, I'm retired. I have lots of time, but it's a hobby and if I feel like it, something gets done, otherwise nothing.

#31 charlie8575

charlie8575

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,643 posts
  • Full Name:Charlie

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

When I'm in a building mood....good luck getting me away from it- 20-30 hours a week.

Otherwise, I always try to do an hour or two a week, even if it's just to play with parts and study instructions.

Charlie Larkin

#32 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:35 AM

Now that I'm working pretty much full time again, I don't have as much time for building as I'd like. I try to spend at least 1/2 an hour per day working on one of my builds. Consequently, I have yet to finish a single one this year. :)

David G.

#33 seeker589

seeker589

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:47 AM

Time spent on models...

...Hmmm. I spend about 5-15 hours on the bench every week. As was said previously - winter months are the prime time.

I may spend more time at the bench when I get a new tool or hobby gizmo. I've been spending too much time lately trying out different paints and things with my new compressor, paint booth and getting re-aquainted with my air brush.

There are so many things that pull us away from the bench. Children, work, family functions, enriching spousel relationships, car shows, other events, etc. All of these reasons are valid and very important. Model building helps us balance our lives - we cannot let our activities turn into obsession and throw our lives out of balance.

OK that was just too deep - just find your own balance.

Edited by seeker589, 18 June 2011 - 04:50 AM.