Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Ford Fairlane DESPERATO box art model

RodBurNeR

remember this is just a box art model.....no special detail went into this. this is a restoration that was really trashed out. i sanded the glass out to get rid of glue and scratches and polished it back to clear. Man this car was great to finally get what I wanted out of it, but it is missing parts and cannot be finished completely. The air horns for the carbs are gone and I had to use some valve covers from a newer kit. I was really going to try and have it all bare metal foiled and take it to the Hobby Town show tomorrow, but it's going with me exactly like you see it. I will foil it some other day, for now it's DONE.......

I hope ya all enjoy! If anyone has one of these and willing to part with it let me know. I have another one that is missing even more parts lol

100_3116-vi.jpg

100_3117-vi.jpg

100_3118-vi.jpg

100_3119-vi.jpg

Rob mentioned that BMF is forthcoming. He just couldn't get it done in time for the Hobbytown show today.

Yes and thanks haha! Here is the gut punch......Hobby Town said there is no show until August! I was mis-informed about the whole thing...... Oh well, i am moving soon into a new house and i will get this back out later this year and finish the foil work and hopefully have the parts that are missing. :D

Rob mentioned that BMF is forthcoming. He just couldn't get it done in time for the Hobbytown show today.

Ooops...I must have missed that part of the post. :oops:

As Emily Litella would say..."never mind!"

BTW...when this kit was made, somebody forgot their dictionary. It's "Desperado"...

It's called a "Color me Ford" kit. This is all that is on the box top. You are suspose to color the box top like you would like yours to look like. It is the regular kit with all the options. The box is a flat style box like the old Johan boxes and doesn't have any other pics on the box. I think the only other one that came out was the 67 Vette.

ColormeFord.jpg

It's called a "Color me Ford" kit. This is all that is on the box top. You are suspose to color the box top like you would like yours to look like. It is the regular kit with all the options. The box is a flat style box like the old Johan boxes and doesn't have any other pics on the box. I think the only other one that came out was the 67 Vette.

ColormeFord.jpg

holy cow! i have never seen that box before. can you please scan it for me on all sides? check out what i have been up to, this is my site. www.thedpmcc.com/instructionsintro.html

awbcrazy@cox.net i would aprpeciate it very much! :shock:

Excellent idea! Count me in on that one!....

Mike

71Chevellemodelkit004.jpg

RIGHT ON! THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

Sweet choice, do you have the decals etc? i am getting ready to move, but i hope this build will be when i get back to building again say middle to late May? here is the one i have sworn to build next!

by the way, i would LOVE to have scans of your box and instructions and photos of the model when it's done! www.thedpmcc.com/instructionsintro.html

photofilevivi-vi.jpg

RIGHT ON! THAT'S WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!

Sweet choice, do you have the decals etc? i am getting ready to move, but i hope this build will be when i get back to building again say middle to late May? here is the one i have sworn to build next!

by the way, i would LOVE to have scans of your box and instructions and photos of the model when it's done! www.thedpmcc.com/instructionsintro.html

Bob,

I'll scan everything for you. No prob. I still have the decals, but they're not mint. I may have them reproduced, or maybe hit them with a coat of crystal clear before I drop them in water. It's funny....I've been wanting to build this kit for quite some time (it's definitely 'builder grade'), but didn't know what direction to go in. LOL! This is perfect! :D

BTW, love your website.

Mike

Not the kind of thing I build, but that is a very clean build. Nice job!

I'm also in for a boxart build...I've gone in for one of them before and didn't even start it, so maybe this time I would get closer...

BUT :!: The real point of this post is, I love that paint....Would you mind sharing what you used to paint it?

Thanks!

Bob,

I'll scan everything for you. No prob. I still have the decals, but they're not mint. I may have them reproduced, or maybe hit them with a coat of crystal clear before I drop them in water. It's funny....I've been wanting to build this kit for quite some time (it's definitely 'builder grade'), but didn't know what direction to go in. LOL! This is perfect! :D

BTW, love your website.

Mike

Thanks a ton! Yeha i have always loved this old box art and why keep mint vintage stuff sitting around right? I have a bunch i want to build. Some will get the box art treatment and some will get the real detail stuff.

I appreciate the scans! awbcrazy@cox.net

Thank you and i am always updating the site, please check back anytime! :D

Not the kind of thing I build, but that is a very clean build. Nice job!

I'm also in for a boxart build...I've gone in for one of them before and didn't even start it, so maybe this time I would get closer...

BUT :!: The real point of this post is, I love that paint....Would you mind sharing what you used to paint it?

Thanks!

hey cool! I hope this build happens! Thank you for the compliment too! I used Dupli Color laquers on the car. The colors are "true blue metallic" , "primer black" for the stripes. It's all cleared with Dupli Color and set sanded and polished out. i tried to do the entire car, but the high sharp edges are scary lol

s

just thought some of you might enjoy some more pics! :D

100_3123-vi.jpg

100_3120-vi.jpg

when i was polishing it i went through the clear on the high edges where it's painted black. i decided right there i was not going to wet sand the black areas in fear of repainting and decaling again. here is a pic that shows the reflection given against a ruler, can ya see the inches? hehe!

100_3112-vi.jpg

this is how it looked when i got it....

100_1758vi-vi.jpg

LOL exactly! I knew this and I wondered if they did it on purpose for some reason? :?

Maybe it's supposed to be pronounced with some kind of Mexican accent.... :wink: Otherwise you'll just have to dig up some old employee from the old days of AMT. Maybe Mark Gustavson knows? Or Jim Keeler?

Cool model! I like the idea of box art models, it's not something you see very much. But I think it's very cool.