#21 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 29 June 2011 - 08:44 AM

@ Trae: Yeah, that's a nice one! those flares look just like mine, with the exception that mine are going to have a sharp edge.
Yesterday, I fitted my Torque Thrusts with those knock-off nuts, and I thought it looks strange. Your pic shows it's being done after all...
I'm about to get the Rapid-Prototyping parts for the Vette, and I'll post pictures as soon as I have 'em.
Did I mention that I'm going to give her movable headlights? :)
By the way, what's the story about the "Stingray" side emblem being on only a few '69 Vettes?
And I'd like to use the Bullet-mirror, like on my Cheetah and Cobra. Hope that's not a serious style flaw...

Seems to me that Talbot mirrors would be a common aftermarket part. I put them on my 50s and 60s Alfas.

#22 Trae

Trae

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Full Name:Trae Larkin

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

And I'd like to use the Bullet-mirror, like on my Cheetah and Cobra. Hope that's not a serious style flaw...

I don't know why those would be a style flaw, they would probably look great! B)

And FYI, the sport mirrors from the Monogram kit didn't become an option until 1977, I believe. So if you're trying to keep it 'period correct', I wouldn't use those.

#23 Trae

Trae

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Full Name:Trae Larkin

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:07 AM

All '69s had the Stingray badge......but only a very few, very late model year '68s had them. They came back with the badge to answer complaints from customers about it not being there, created a new one and spelled it different from previous ones (one word instead of two) and planned to put it on the '69 anyway, but put it on a very few '68s. By the way, the pic Trae posted is a '68.

Yep, all '69 through '76 had the Stingray badges.
And yes, that pic is a '68. The doors give it away - only the '68 had indentions at the lock cylinders.

#24 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,806 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

By the way, what's the story about the "Stingray" side emblem being on only a few '69 Vettes?

The second generation Corvette (1963-67) was badged as a "Sting Ray."

The third generation Corvette (1968-76) was badged as a "Stingray" (one word, no space between Sting and Ray)... except the '68, which had no Stingray badging at all.

After the '76 model year the "Stingray" name was dropped altogether, and since then they are just "Corvettes."

#25 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

It's a sickness you know, one that has no cure....................................:rolleyes: Glad to see I'm not alone in my suffering......:blink: :blink:
Michael, where to start............

First : SUPER work.
I'm a lover of the first real Corvette, the 68-69 models. (no disrespect for lovers of ALL Corvettes) :)
I see you let it slip (big hint)....a Phase III ?? Could you possibly be referring to my other passion, a BM produced Supercar.....?? :unsure: That would be AWESOME !

PS: I love your other builds too, the Cheetah and Cobra, but you stole my heart when I saw a thread for this C3. B)

#26 mad mike

mad mike

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Full Name:Michael P.

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

@ stump: Aw man, there are worse diseases out there!
And yup, I'm going for the Baldwin Motion Phase III, hopefully she's going to look just like this:

Posted Image

But I won't use the "egg crate" front grilles and add some cockpit air scoops, and I'm planning for a 427 GT version with three taillight bands.
Hope you'll be around until she's done, it'll take some months though...

#27 Len Woodruff

Len Woodruff

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts
  • Full Name:Len Woodruff

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Great idea Mike! Looking foward to the rest of the "carving" of this Corvette!

B)

#28 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

@ stump: Aw man, there are worse diseases out there!
And yup, I'm going for the Baldwin Motion Phase III, hopefully she's going to look just like this:

Posted Image

But I won't use the "egg crate" front grilles and add some cockpit air scoops, and I'm planning for a 427 GT version with three taillight bands.
Hope you'll be around until she's done, it'll take some months though...

;) Yes, I guess we're lucky there's no cure for us yet.......
Man, the BM versions of Vette are my most favourite, be nice to see a giant one getting built. And yes....I'm hanging around. Heck, the 1/12 Camaro I'm building is gonna take forever......B)

#29 mad mike

mad mike

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Alright, instead of learning for my exams, I got some paint on my Vette.
Those pics are taken right after removing the masking tape, and the boundaries are not finished yet.
Just a little update in between... now I will add some striping and seal the whole car with clearcoat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A day after painting, the paint still looks wet B)

#30 Monty

Monty

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Full Name:Monty

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

Mike, what kind of paint did you use on that? The only word to describe it is ausgezeichnet!

#31 semijoe

semijoe

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Full Name:joe kovach

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:06 AM

shes look really really mike. hey mike what did you use for taping? i always get colors bleeding into each other

#32 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,865 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:02 AM

WOW!!!!! This build is incredible!!! A 1/8th scale 68 Vette. WOW! Your also planning to build the Phase III Vette too? Man, THAT would be tha MOOK! This is already a beautiful conversion, an you'll DEFINATELY be the ONLY kid on the block with one(or two)! GREAT job! :D :) ;)

#33 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:06 AM

Yeah what Monty said-------OUTSTANDING!! That's got to be the slickest black paint job I've ever seen on a large scale car! :)

#34 mad mike

mad mike

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

Hey guys, I'm really glad you like the paint job!
Can't wait to show you the other parts of the car.

@Monty: I use two-component car paint to do black, grey, white and clear, and one-component water-based car paint for the colorful stuff.
The 2K-paints are from Endlendt Color and Mipa. Biggest advantage of 2K paints: they can be sanded and polished.
But without my trusty SATA Minijet paint gun, I think I wouldn't be able to get those results.
It doesn't come cheap, but painting with this gun is a real breeze - with all the little stuff (bumpers, headlights and so on) I was spraying black nearly an hour without getting the cramps.
I would never paint a car body in this scale with an airbrush or even spray cans.
Posted Image

@semijoe: For taping, I use TESA type 4334 tape, which is similar to Tamiya masking tape. I never had any bleeding with those tapes, but it may depend on the viscosity of the paint you're using. My paint is relatively thick compared with airbrush stuff.

#35 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

Alright, instead of learning for my exams, I got some paint on my Vette.

;) :lol:
Ok, so you're not studying painting/art then.....? Cause you got that nailed !! ;)
That looks absolutely fabulous Mike. :)

#36 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:08 AM

I'm blown away! This is high quality stuff right here, it does look like it's still wet! Torque Thrusts would look just right on this now!
Beautiful choice of colors for that paint job. Looks just like it goes, it goes like stink that little skunk!

Edited by Harry P., 09 August 2011 - 03:43 AM.

#37 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,436 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Whoa. That is just amazing work. I can't wait to see more.

#38 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

I'm blown away! This is high quality stuff right here, it does look like it's still wet! Torque Thrusts would look just right on this now!
Beautiful choice of colors for that paint job. Looks just like it goes, it goes like stink that little skunk!

Don't quote pictures, just do "Add Reply" or you'll get yelled at. And I agree with that. I don't need to take the time to scroll down through pictures I've already seen. Just a word to the wise.

#39 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Super nice job!!!!

#40 Trae

Trae

MCM Friend

• Members