247 replies to this topic

#221 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Jim, and they all were a lot of fun to rebuild believe me. I really enjoyed re-working them. :) Dan

#222 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

As promised, here are a few of my previous Glue Bombs:

1960 SMP Corvair 700-Series 4-door sedan annual - My first Glue Bomb restoration:

Posted Image

Another 1960 SMP Corvair 700-Series 4-door sedan annual - a replica of a car I once owned:

Posted Image

1967 AMT Corvair Monza coupe annual (converted to a convertible because of body damage at the base of the rear window, concealed by the top boot):

Posted Image

1966 AMT Corvair Corsa coupe annual:

Posted Image

AMT 1970 Ford Galaxie 4-door sedan - found this one at a flea market for $1:

Posted Image

AMT 1970 Camaro SS396 annual:

Posted Image

#223 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

Nice saves Jim. I really like the Corvairs. I had one of the 4dr's when I was a kid. I have no idea of what happened to it. That was too many years ago. :) Dan

#224 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Ill get ya guys some update pics here in a bit....im working on the back tailgate right now!

#225 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

Update:

got one piece done for the tailgate....trying to make it more "Realistic" ...it may be a hair to big...but im sure some sanding should take care of it and now gotta do the other side. i think i also have a cowl hood situation thought up...just need the cowl hood off the amt 69 camaro ss kit! (anyone have one there willing to let go pm me)

Posted Image

Comments and Criticism welcomed! B)

#226 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Full Name:joe colvin

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have been enjoying this thread a great deal. I just realized that it's coming up on twelve months since we started this topic and it was set to run a year. I'd vote to keeping it going indefinitely. I've got two more I'm pulling out of the boneyard right now.

#227 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:02 AM

It's got my vote!

David G.

#228 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Make it three. I'm always rebuilding old glue bombs and I like showing off the results. My second planned entry for this build, a 1964 Corvair Monza Spyder annual, is temporarily stalled due to other committments (and one bloody hot, non air conditioned workroom!) but it's not too far from completion.

#229 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

On second thought, perhaps we should start a new gluebomb thread and let the old stuff be removed to save room? Don't know if that's an issue. Either way I vote we keep a gluebomb thread going

#230 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:26 AM

Keep this one going. It's the only place I have any pics of my '63 Chevy posted.

There are other threads that much higher page counts than this one.

David G.

#231 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm going to proceed as if this thread is going to continue.
Here are my next two projects to redo. Both are Johann kits that I built more years ago than I can remember but have been sitting in a box for at least the last 15 years.

Item #1- 1968 Cadillac
This is the original paint that I put on it all those years ago. I don't think I even used primer. I have everything present and accounted for except one wheel. This will be a replica stock rebuild but I haven't decided on paint colors yet. I'm also going to take care of some little things I didn't like the first time I built the kit. And I will have to find a new set of wheels.

Posted Image

Item #2 - 1963 Plymouth Fury
This kit got rebuilt sometime in the early 80s with a then current street rod look. Notice the monotone paint. Yuck, what was I thinking. Plans now call for red paint and red interior just like one I saw at Pismo Beach recently. Nose down stance with big and littles to look mean. Missing the carb and air cleaner so gonna dive the parts box and see what I can find.

Posted Image

More to follow. Keep the faith!

#232 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

I've managed to find a little time to work on the 63 Fury so heres an update. Everything got stripped with Easy Off and then cleaned up with soap and water before sanding to prime.

Posted Image

The interior was finished with Rustoleum Satin Red and detailed with Model Masters and Testors brush paints, not easy with molded in seats. I pulled a steering wheel from the parts box to replace the one I broke taking the bomb apart.
Posted Image

This kit originally had a solid front axle so I had to fill the hole in the engine block and then finished it off with Rustoleum Red straight from the rattle can. All other parts here are original except the carb and air cleaner which came from the parts box. I'm not going to do any wiring on this one.

Posted Image

Next comes the finish of the body and the paint. Im gonna use the same red as the engine. Here's a preview with the stance sorted out. This was actually taken with the chassis and suspension finished but I forgot to take a picture of it. Next time.

Posted Image

#233 tvandmoviecars

tvandmoviecars

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Full Name:Don Covell Jr

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Hey all,

I finally borrowed a camera and took some pics...

Update on my glue bomb rebuilds

The Duesenbergs
Posted Image
The '65 GP
The odelhaus '66 GP

More to follow......................... :)

cool, somewhere I have 1 molded in burgandy, that needs restored... also bought a "box" of CHROMED cars like these... also gluebombs.. never did anything with th em, as never fgured out what to do them as.. wonder if they are valuable?

got a gluebomb Dodge van on the workbench currently that I am redoing in the Zombie thead... will have to keep this thread in mind, after I finish (IF? <LOL>) I finish the pile of current projects on my desk.

#234 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:36 AM

Nice progress on the Fury!

Thanks for posting.

David G.

#235 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

Bit of an update-
No progress on the Fury since we've had several weeks of 100+ weather I haven't been able to paint it. I did break the 68 Caddy down and run it through the paint stripper. No pics of that but I'm going to do it factory stock as a memorial to my wife's late uncle Jimmy. He was the nicest guy you could ever meet and had a pale yellow one with black interior and top that he'd had since new. Im gonna pop over to Acmes license plate site and whip up some "JIMMY" plates too. He and the car are both gone now so this will be a nice remembrance for my shelf. Gonna be something like this. Posted Image

Edited by jcbigpaw, 26 August 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#236 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

We've got paint! Woohoo! Finally got some relief from the heat too. Posted Image

#237 Guest_G Holding_*

Guest_G Holding_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

Looked great in primer...now its all Bloody !!!

#238 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

Looks like that Plymouth will clean up nicely!

David G.

#239 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Okay finally got a couple pics of the Cadi stripped. It came real clean. Maybe because I didn't use any primer the first time? Anyway the body is clean with no sink marks or body work needed. I could almost polish it up for the "Naked styrene" thread. LolPosted Image
All I need to repair are both the vent window posts.
Posted Image
Hopefully more soon

Edited by jcbigpaw, 05 September 2012 - 05:55 PM.

#240 jcbigpaw

jcbigpaw

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Don't you hate when everything fits during the test but then when you glue it together you get this? Now I've got to find a different air cleaner
Posted Image