#161 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,213 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:08 AM

I think that kit came with an 'engine delete plate'- maybe AMT just hoped people would glue the hood shut and use it instead of the engine? I do know the '62 Bel Air firewall will fit with a bit of trimming, and looks a lot better than the everything-molded-on firewall the '64 kit has.

#162 imatt88

imatt88

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Full Name:Ian Matthews

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:28 AM

Cool

#163 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Full Name:David A. Gudzinas

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:08 AM

I wonder why AMT didn't re-issue it with the original parts, and why they cheapened the engine detail. I did restore mine and I also filled in the engine block and used stubby axles. I also had to make the top part of the radiator.

David, if you want a firewall, I did make a resin one that you can have. Just PM me your address and I'll send it to you. You will have to do some finishing touches to it though. Dan

Thanks Dan, but given the marginal quality of the engine, I think I would prefer to glue the hood down. My intent is to keep this one as simple as possible. If I get a firewall, then I'll have to find a nicer engine, which I'll have to wire and plumb then detail... etc, etc. I don't think that this kit is worth all that.

Thanks for the offer, though.

David G.

#164 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:11 AM

I think that kit came with an 'engine delete plate'- maybe AMT just hoped people would glue the hood shut and use it instead of the engine? I do know the '62 Bel Air firewall will fit with a bit of trimming, and looks a lot better than the everything-molded-on firewall the '64 kit has.

What's an "engine delete plate"? Is it just a piece with the bottom bits of the engine that snaps over the crossmember?

David G.

#165 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,213 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:19 AM

What's an "engine delete plate"? Is it just a piece with the bottom bits of the engine that snaps over the crossmember?

David G.

Exactly. You've probably seen them- it's just a plate with a rudimentary oil pan and trans molded to it that glues in place of the engine. The Model King '71 Thunderbird and the AMT '64 Ford Galaxie came with one.

#166 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Dan, but given the marginal quality of the engine, I think I would prefer to glue the hood down. My intent is to keep this one as simple as possible. If I get a firewall, then I'll have to find a nicer engine, which I'll have to wire and plumb then detail... etc, etc. I don't think that this kit is worth all that.

Thanks for the offer, though.

David G.

Yer welcome David. I do have that plate if ya want that. Let me know. Dan

#167 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:16 AM

Here's an update on my '63 Chevy Glue Bomb project...

302599_284907088198056_1945122643_n.jpg

I got a little bit of work done on the interior. These feel like 1963 colors to me. You can also see the lack of engine detail. The carburetor is just a plastic cone that supports the air cleaner.

305764_284907151531383_472349578_n.jpg
I got the engine painted and added some exhaust pipes to the chassis to (more or less) connect the manifolds to the exhaust system.

310339_284907054864726_1981895672_n.jpg

The view from the bottom. I used a #77 (.018") drill bit and some wire between the pipes and the chassis to help them stay put.

That's all for now.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Comments are always welcome.

David G.

Edited by David G., 12 January 2013 - 02:36 AM.

#168 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:10 AM

Here's another update on the 63 Chevy.

In the home stretch. Test fitting to see how it'll all fit together. Still need to clean up the glass and foil the trim.

316834_287334104622021_1242616113_n.jpg
Need to paint the final details on the tail lights and foil and paint the rear emblem to match the front.

308364_287334034622028_1777743521_n.jpg
Again, Thanks for taking the time to look.

David G.

Edited by David G., 12 January 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#169 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,213 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Coming together nicely.

#170 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the nice comments.

David G.

#171 Airfilter

Airfilter

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

David, looking good so far.

#172 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

I see the fun continues.

#173 CorvairJim

CorvairJim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Full Name:Jim Ely

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

I finally managed to get back into my workroom for a few hours this evening and do something on my '65 Corvair. The body is finished and chromed, the glass is in, the interior is ready to go in (complete with the usual additions like a dome light, turn signal stalk, dimmer switch, carpet flocking, etc). I dug up some original '65 Corvair wheel covers still on the tree (!), so I got them paint detailed and fitted to the whitewalls that came on the bastardized model I started off with. Once the paint on the rear suspension is dry, I'll be able to put that in and do the final assembly. I've only been planning to build this model for about 31 years since it's a replica of my first Corvair - Now it's almost on my shelf! :D

#174 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

She's lookin perty good David for a glue bomb. The one glue bomb that I did was an original from 63 and the detail is much better than the re-issues are. I also have two of the re-issues to put together and I will use one of the firewalls that I made and also get a better engine for the car. I do like the color that you chose for yours. I like Blue Chevy's as much as Red ones. :D Looking forward to seeing this one finished. Dan

#175 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:59 AM

Thanks Dan. I actually got the foil work done on Thanksgiving Day. I've been working since then and haven't had the chance to shoot any snaps to post. Hopefully tomorrow.

BTW, where is Lewis Center? I remember hearing the name, but can't quite place it. I'm from the Youngstown area; a small town called Hubbard.

David G

#176 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

That Impala looks good.

#177 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

David, Lewis Center is just North of Columbus about ten miles and South of Delaware about the same miles. Just at the South end of Delaware county. I'm from Akron originally and moved down here in 1998. I wish I was still in the Akron area though. I don't like the atmosphere down here and too much much traffic for me. But, the wife loves it here. So, guess what, we're here for the stay I guess. :angry: :D :( :)

I've heard of Hubbard Ohio. Have you ever gone to the swap meet at------, man I forget the name of the town now. It's just west of Youngstown on 224. Bummer. :wacko: Dan

#178 David G.

David G.

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

Dan- Many years ago I made a delivery trip from Cleveland to West Jefferson, that must be when I learned of Lewis Center. I lived in Akron for a few years back in the 80's in the Grant St, and Wolf Ledges area- near the old Greyhound Station. It was not a good neighborhood in 1987 and I'm sure it's much worse now. Still, one of the best times in my life... so far.

I don't remember any particular swap meet in that area, but it sounds to me like you might be referring to the Canfield Fairgrounds. There's also Boardman and Ellsworth west from Y-town along 224- not much after that until you get to Akron.

Thanks everybody else for the kind comments. Now on to the pics!

Here's the BMF I put down while waiting for my turkey to cook. Yup, I even painted the white stripe on the side spear!

383961_303165199705578_2141724495_n.jpg
Obviously, I still have some fit issues to work out for the grille and bumper. But, with the BMF done, the rest is easy.

391155_303165059705592_211273227_n.jpg

As always, thanks for taking the time to look, and feel free to comment.

David G.

Edited by David G., 12 January 2013 - 02:42 AM.

#179 bandit1

bandit1

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Full Name:Sean W Brady

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:28 AM

not much of an update on my chev truck but.... i did manage to get the interior pulled apart ...even though i broke the seat side off but with a bit of glue i dont think once i get it in paint you will be able to tell where i broke it at...working on the steering wheel ...which was wrongly put on UPSIDE DOWN! :lol: :lol: :lol:
but i will fix that...hey is it me or does the kit lack a shifting mechanism? :blink: ...what transmission is it ..auto or stick? so i know what kind of mechanism to add! :P
but ill get back to work on it i guess now is a better time than never EH?> :rolleyes:

ILL GET PICS UP AFTER BIT!

OH DOES anyone have an timeing cover they can either scratch or cast another for me...mine disappeared somewhere?

Edited by bandit1, 30 November 2011 - 05:31 AM.

#180 59 Impala

59 Impala

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Canfield, yep, that's it. The old noggin ain't so good as it used to be. I know the area you mentioned by the Bus station. I used to work very close to there. I grue up in East Akron, not far from there.

Yer 63 is lookin perty good now. The color is just so right for that car. Dan