Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:47 PM
I tried to get the miscellaneous engine detail parts painted tonight for some show and tell, but there's still a few colors to go. Tomorrow is "date night" and there's an IPMS show in Leavenworth Kansas on Saturday. Hopefully, I'll have another engine update over the weekend.
Posted 22 September 2011 - 06:57 PM
Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:49 PM
Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:04 PM
Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:33 PM
I got a few more details taken care of. The starter, oil filter and fuel pump are complete. Still working on the distributor, fan belt & pulleys and the headers, but they're mostly done. Here's a couple of update pics. The short stacks and valve covers are just sitting in place. Hopefully they're be straighter on final assembly. The plan is to go with chrome valve covers, but the more I mock it up with theses stock covers, the more I like it.
With all the handling, some of the paint is already starting to rub off, some I'm gonna let the motor sit for a few days so the paint can harden up a bit more. In the meantime, the chassis and body can get some attention.
Edited by Alyn, 24 September 2011 - 06:37 PM.
Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:31 AM
Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:20 PM
Between the scratch built fuel injection and distributor, there's almost 100 scratch built parts on the engine already, and it's not done yet.
Anyway, I thought it looked so cool that I wanted to share. The valve covers and injector stacks are not glued down, so they may look slightly askew.
Edited by Alyn, 18 October 2011 - 06:24 PM.
Posted 18 October 2011 - 06:32 PM
The one I got was shrunken just a bit. Only 'bad' piece I've ever gotten from JF, though.
Jimmy Flintstone has the bubbel top body for this kit for $10.00 i have one it fits like a glove.
Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:48 AM
Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:44 PM
The blue valve covers are gone. This car will be a custom, so the more chrome the better. Also, for the custom look, I decided to try some clear plug wires where you can see the wire strands inside. Roth did this on his Outlaw and I'm sure many other customs have used it as well.
First off, kit fans always look way too thick, so I scratch built a replacement using .005 brass. After the blades were shaped, they were soldered to a brass shaft.
Here's the plug wire looms, made from .005" aluminum. Holes are .017" to allow for the .015" plug wire.
I don't like the way the wires lay, but since the wire is stranded rather than single conductor, it's much more difficult to add bends and curves where you want them.
As mentioned earlier, the distributor is scratch built by gluing 8 half round strips of styrene around a round styrene rod base. Overall, there are more than 100 scratch built bits on this motor to create the injection system and ignition.
If I come across a decal I like, or a good way to replicate a Delco-Remy tag, I may add that to the generator.
Edited by Alyn, 30 October 2011 - 04:49 PM.
Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:13 PM
Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:18 PM
Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:49 PM
Mike's getting kind of old, so his eye sight ain't what it use to be. He keeps dropping distributors and can't find them in the green shag carpet in his work room. For Mike and guys like him. I put together a tutorial on building a distributor from scratch.
Alyn, Alyn, Alyn....you are really going out of your way to make this a killer build! You've got to do a tutorial on how to make that distributor, I'd love to see how you do it myself!
You can find it here:
Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:19 AM
Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:37 AM