harri

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Full Name:Shane Harris

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

Hi
I am a new starter; my daughters bought me the 1/24th General Lee by MPC. This is my first in about 23 years and even back then I wasn't that good. However, when I attached the engine in to the chassis that went fine but the exhaust manifold from the engine wasn't aligned to the rear part of the exhaust so I applied glue and lined them up. The glue slightly melted the plastic in its bonding process and because they werenít aligned to start off with after a while they became out of alignment again but now stretching a little so the plastic exhaust doesn't look right.

Now I know the experienced amongst you are saying you should Have - WHAT? What should I have done? Please remember when answering this question I am a new starter and from the UK so we may not have the same shops, I canít find a Forum like this one for the UK Market - Well done to you all for a fantastic forum.

Ta!

Harri

#2 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Although I hope you appricated the gift, I would have NEVER bought this kit. It is honestly the WORST kit avalible. It is a tooling that is VERY, VERY old.

#3 harri

harri

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

Although I hope you appricated the gift, I would have NEVER bought this kit. It is honestly the WORST kit avalible. It is a tooling that is VERY, VERY old.

I am finding that have to do a lot of trimming and reshaping but I am enjoying it. What should I do when parts dont align up and there isn't room for clamps?

#4 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

Well, use some superglue. hold the parts in alignment and add a drop of glue. when it is dry paint over the white haze it will leave.

#5 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

If you have a mini-drill set and some stiff wire, you could drill into both the manifold and the mid-pipes, glue the wire into the manifolds, and then glue the mid-pipe to the manifolds over the wire (using the wire as an internal alignment pin, if you will).

#6 harri

harri

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:08 AM

If you have a mini-drill set and some stiff wire, you could drill into both the manifold and the mid-pipes, glue the wire into the manifolds, and then glue the mid-pipe to the manifolds over the wire (using the wire as an internal alignment pin, if you will).

Superglue what a good idea, and pin vice drill will be the next addition to my tool box. I presume that is the type of drill you are referring to as appose to the electric multi tool type. Thanks

#7 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 20 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

Yes Shane, a pin vice and bit set is what I am referring to. Wonderful handy tools to have about.

#8 harri

harri

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for that advice and for some models to aim at next, very informative and much appreciated.

All the best

Harri