#1 n8dogginz

n8dogginz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Full Name:nathan davis

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

OK so i know everythings moving from one sight to another, i just read that in general...might be why i uploaded progress on my supra like 3 days ago and it didnt show up an hour later...but what happened to tips and tricks!??! i have a question on whats the best way to do black window trim, like rubber... i know lots of people use masking tape but i always pull it off and it leaves jagged edges on the part. I know window trim has to come out flawless, i bought a paint marker but the paint flows so fast it'd drip right off the bat...check it out....

Posted Image
Posted Image
im on a roll with this one guys id really hate to screw it up on the minor stuff, call me a noob, im not but to details i am, havent built in years and im 26 so yea lol im a noob at detail...please throw me some pointers

Edited by n8dogginz, 20 July 2011 - 08:25 PM.

#2 n8dogginz

n8dogginz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:20 PM

BTW i shot that paint earlier tonight think of this as "on the bench" lol its not sittin on the chassis as done, sorry btw i cant figure out the macro mode of my camera, nikon coolshots camera anyone have it throw me some pointers on how to take close ups
\Posted Image

#3 Belair2k

Belair2k

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Full Name:Jay Barnett

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:24 PM

Looking good!
I often use a black marker.
If you choose that route be sure to get the "industrial" version or whatever they call it.
It has a large tip but it won't run and won't leave that nasty bluish or purple tint that the regular black markers do.

#4 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,577 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

Looking good!
I often use a black marker.
If you choose that route be sure to get the "industrial" version or whatever they call it.
It has a large tip but it won't run and won't leave that nasty bluish or purple tint that the regular black markers do.

I do the same ... a Sharpie to be specific. They come in a number of tip sizes and shapes and the tip can also be cut easily if you need a different one.

#5 LAone

LAone

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,534 posts
  • Full Name:Luis Aguilar

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

i like to use all three elements, brush, aerosol and airbrush. with brush ill use a fine tip, 00 brush. airbrush is the best. better control of how much paint you lay down. if you use aerosol, try to spray light coats. if you spray a heavy coat, the paint will dry to the tape and come off or give you jagged edges. all using semi gloss black.
i dont like the markers cause they can be too shiney to get a rubber look.

#6 n8dogginz

n8dogginz

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

yea i bought a testors paint marker to pull this off, but the paint flows way too fast for my likings. I then thought about the after effects a sharpie gives off, and it may actually look more like rubber with a sharpie...ill probably go that route, my paint is looking really good and id hate to mess it up from lack of patience from a brush and tape. BTW what happened to tips and tricks section?!?!?

#7 mr cheap

mr cheap

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Full Name:james shafer

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

i use liQuitape trim with blade ... let dry... paint with a micro brush

#8 sjordan2

sjordan2

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,275 posts
  • Full Name:Skip Jordan

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:13 AM

If you have a question, you're in the right place. If you want to post suggestions on how to do something, Tips & Tricks is located just above this one on the forum menu.

#9 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,875 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

If you have a question, you're in the right place.

He's in the right place because I put him in the right place... ;)