#1 h3ae86

h3ae86

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Full Name:Harold Guinter the 3rd

Posted 24 July 2011 - 08:45 PM

I'm having some problems. I would like to know the best glue to use and your recommended method of safely placing the windows into place. thanks

#2 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I use 5 minute epoxy for my glass. If you get some on the glass, it will come off with alcohol if it is still wet.

#3 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:52 PM

I have used Elmers white glue and Aleene's Clear craft glue for years now.

#4 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

I have found a major disadvantage (for me) with white glue and craft glue - one cannot wash one's models when using them. Water will dissolve the glue. Hence only use those when you employ different methods to keep your models clean.

I use UHU Plus:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e-/270709867198

It is a fast setting epoxy which dries 100% clear. I've used it for the past 25 years and can vouch that it will stay clear. I also use it to attach chrome trim and bumpers.

#5 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

I've been using Testors glue for clear parts for over a year and it's pretty decent. Before that I was using Micro Krystal Klear.

My method is to set the glass in place and hold it in place with blue painters tape for an hour or so and then remove the tape. I don't want to get tape residue on the paint.

#6 MrObsessive

MrObsessive

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,855 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:12 AM

It is a fast setting epoxy which dries 100% clear. I've used it for the past 25 years and can vouch that it will stay clear. I also use it to attach chrome trim and bumpers.

Christian, when you say that it dries clear, do you mean that it won't yellow over time? All the epoxies I've ever used seem to yellow after so long. It's one of the reasons I don't like to use epoxy for headlights as an example.

#7 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:45 AM

Christian, when you say that it dries clear, do you mean that it won't yellow over time? All the epoxies I've ever used seem to yellow after so long. It's one of the reasons I don't like to use epoxy for headlights as an example.

I've been using 5 minute epoxy for glass and headlights for a long time now and never had any turn yellow. I like using the epoxy as it has a strong bond and dries clear.

#8 Mr. Moparman

Mr. Moparman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts
  • Full Name:Brandon Henderson

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:37 AM

I recently bought a jar of Tamiya "Extra-Thin" Liquid Cement. I has a small brush and produces good results. Tape your window in place, and apply a drop of cement along the edges on the inside of the model. Capillary Action will draw the cement into the joint.

#9 Mike Kucaba

Mike Kucaba

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • Full Name:Michael J Kucaba

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

Not only does dipping the glass in Future help with the appearance of clear parts,it also makes a great adhesive for windshields and other clear parts.

#10 Junkman

Junkman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • Full Name:Christian Pamp

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:45 AM

No, this stuff doesn't yellow. And as I said, I use it for 25 years now.