#1 jw78z28

jw78z28

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Full Name:jason wilson

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

I've got a vintage AMT 62 valiant that needs the paint and some old amt body filler putty. Will brake fluid melt the vintage kits plastic? I will be using DOT3 brake fluid. I've stripped newer kits this way and some from the 80's & 90's with luck, but just wanted to see if anybody has had any problems with the vintage kits.
Thanks

#2 a/gass

a/gass

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Full Name:michael b mullins AKA Blazz

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

i striped a 62 buick and i think the bottom layer was from 62 ha ha!it took a few days and a lot of scrubin with tooth brush but it finly came off - the plastic is stained from paint ?but the brake fluid worked just the same as allways - no harm to plastic.

#3 jw78z28

jw78z28

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Thanks a/gass.
I can work with stained plastic.

#4 jw78z28

jw78z28

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:49 AM

well after 24 to 36 hours in the brake fluid bath she came out super nice and clean with no harm to plastic.
I wish I would have got before pics. this thing had three coats of paint. black then gold then candy apple red. plus it had the styline custom front and rear bumpers. I got luck and both came off with no damage to body.
Thanks again a/gass

Posted Image

#5 a/gass

a/gass

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Full Name:michael b mullins AKA Blazz

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:13 AM

no problem.i use to use easy off but had problems with it -if it dryes your jacked - so ive been useing brake fluid ever since.easy off in yellow can is great for striping chrom - put parts in zip-lok spray enouff in that their submerged in liqued squezz out air and seal let sit over night - ta-da no more chrom even in liqued.never used purple stuff yet but from what ive read its just as good tad pricey.

#6 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

USE DOT 3.....never a problem.........Household bleach or ammonia will strip chrome in a flash....it does leave the clear coating , which I prime over

#7 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

neat trick ,,how do you get the residue off from the brake fluid ,,just soap and water ?

#8 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Purple Power also works well and won't damage styrene. I know some paints work better with DOT3 and some work better with PP, will have to look it up.