#21 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Full Name:Kostas Parchas

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

Hi Kostas, I think that would be a good idea, since some box trailers have some sort of stiffening moldings along the sides of the van. So that would help conceal the cut lines in the body. As for the back doors, I think it wouldn't be so bad either, since they're pretty smooth. Some putty would cure the cut lines. I would have to be careful to cut at the right place to get the door hinges and pins aligned. To have 2 trailers to work with would give me two other axles and sets of wheels. 3 axles on a 53 foot van is realistic enough and look pretty sharp. I'll have to investigate my own unbuilt american van to determine what I'd need to do for that extension. I'll have to look at what tools I need for a long straight cut to get a constant width for the height and length extensions from the second van. I'm a bit concerned for the vertical joints for the 5 foot length extension. We need a plan Kostas! Hahahaha :huh:

Another thing, the van sides are corrugated, so we need similar panels to extend the sides. Either that or make new smooth panels at the right length from .040 evergreen styrene. A 53 foot van is 26.5 inches long, I think we'll need two lengths of evergreen for the sides, just like the kit is configured. I'll have to think this out...

Robert,

It would be very easy to convert the van from what it is to an acurate 48ft by adding in heigh by using the side walls from the second kit. This will not require special plans. I think that it would be very dificult to extent the side walls and at the same time add in height. This might need a third kit.
The acurate 48ft trailer is a good deal cause you can use just 2 Italeri kits and end up with 2 builds, 48ft van/reefer and 48ft grain trailer.
Think about it....

Kostas.

#22 Zhu

Zhu

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Zhu

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:18 PM

Drop dead gorgeous. Can.t see a single thing I don't like.

We had a VN & flat deck delivering the fertilizer on the Estate back in the spring. I wish I'd had my camera with me, I could have crawled all over it taking pic's.

When I got home & told Mary (my wife) she said;
"Did you have your cell phone with you?"
"Yep" came my reply,
"Then you had a camera didn't you, you dipstick !!"
"DOH!!!"

#23 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Poudrette

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

Drop dead gorgeous. Can.t see a single thing I don't like.

We had a VN & flat deck delivering the fertilizer on the Estate back in the spring. I wish I'd had my camera with me, I could have crawled all over it taking pic's.

When I got home & told Mary (my wife) she said;
"Did you have your cell phone with you?"
"Yep" came my reply,
"Then you had a camera didn't you, you dipstick !!"
"DOH!!!"

Thanks Davey, with these comments, even I am starting to like it more! Stay tuned for more scaled details...

Edited by Z06Bob, 01 August 2011 - 02:52 PM.

#24 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

Robert,

It would be very easy to convert the van from what it is to an acurate 48ft by adding in heigh by using the side walls from the second kit. This will not require special plans. I think that it would be very dificult to extent the side walls and at the same time add in height. This might need a third kit.
The acurate 48ft trailer is a good deal cause you can use just 2 Italeri kits and end up with 2 builds, 48ft van/reefer and 48ft grain trailer.
Think about it....

Kostas.

I think that's the best idea so far. It's simple enough and I won't have to buy three trailers at 60$ a pop to end up with only one build up. Thanks Kostas.

#25 loghauler70

loghauler70

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Full Name:Mark

Posted 13 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

I like it you did a great job

Mark

#26 bsoder

bsoder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Soderstrum

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:36 PM

Beautiful rig man!.. I like the look of the Volvo tractors, maybe I'll build one someday B)

#27 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

Beautiful rig man!.. I like the look of the Volvo tractors, maybe I'll build one someday B)

Thanks Brian! You are right, these truck are nice. The first time I saw one, I was amazed at how modern these looked, especially compared to what they replaced. I have to say the Kenworth T2000 was there first but I think Volvo brings good futuristic looks to Aero trucks. But that's a matter of opinion. I like most class 8 trucks anyway.
I see you're into muscle cars and dioramas, great job on the garage with the orange 69 Z28 and Boss Mustang!

#28 bsoder

bsoder

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Soderstrum

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Thanks Bob!...I like to think of myself as a little diverse in model building :) :lol:

#29 69A-CAR

69A-CAR

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Full Name:Mark Lottero

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:24 PM

I'm late to the party! Beautiful build Bob, do I follow this right, there is no engine in that kit?? That is ridiculous!

Mark

#30 Old Albion

Old Albion

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Very Nice indeed! I like it.

Dave

#31 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hey, I added some details to finish up this Volvo. In front, the fog-driving lights in the bumper, the revell VN670 didn't have them, unlike the VN 780, so I cut the bumper, scratch built the lights with transparent tree material for the lenses, some evergreen flat .040 stock and some flat transparent .060 Plastruct. I added the aerials on the mirrors, again with Plastruct .020 polystyrene wire with K&S 1/16 tube for the base.

In the back of the cab, it was a desolated desert so I added some electricals for the trailer along with the hangers. All scratch built from K&S aluminum rod with Plastruct .010 thick stock for the bolt flanges. Some 1/16 tube for the "slide bar" with steel wire to hold the trailer wires and hose. The GPS aerial was made of a trailer landing wheel and glue accumulated at the top to make the dome shape. Some Plastruct channel for the support and .010 thick stock for the support sides. Two cargo hold stoppers were added with the rack and support. These were made from K&S aluminum rods and tubes with styrene hardware for the end pads, rack and handles.
Now it looks better.

Starting to like this scratch building thing!
More pictures of the back of the cab with the next reply.

Edited by Z06Bob, 05 September 2011 - 09:50 AM.

#32 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

[attachment=12520:mcm volvo rear 1.JPG][attachment=12521:mcm volvo rear 2.JPG][attachment=12522:mcm volvo rear 3.JPG][attachment=12523:mcm volvo side 1.JPG]

Ok, I'm getting the hang of it... Next time it'll be better, sorry for the mess...

Edited by Z06Bob, 05 September 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#33 cowboysevens

cowboysevens

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Full Name:dennis gregory

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

very very nice!!!

#34 Semi Trailer Mechanic

Semi Trailer Mechanic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:55 AM

Nice truck!!! You can always just leave it as a tractor if you can't settle on a trailer and move on to the next project. I like the hose tender you made and the load locks as well!!!

Edited by Semi Trailer Mechanic, 05 September 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#35 scale trucker

scale trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:gordon berry

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

i love the volvo that thing is really sweet..whats under the hood.??

#36 BigBad

BigBad

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

i love the volvo that thing is really sweet..whats under the hood.??

Gordon, what can I say? This thing is a gutless wonder! Really, it is. These Volvo kits were originally made by Italeri and then shared with Revell. But they were conceived as "curbside" models, without any engine or transmission. That is the main thing that disapointed me, still does. But, since there is so many real ones rolling around on the road and is one of the rare modern trucks being reproduced, I decided to build one anyway and ended up with a not too bad looking replica. It would be nice if somebody would reissue this kit with all the mechanicals just like all the other kits.
I do promise the next truck I build WILL have an engine and transmission! It's either that Peterbilt 359 with an 8V92 or Freightliner FLD or Kenworth W900 with a 12V71... Hmmmm, Aero or Classic? Thanks for the compliments!

#37 scale trucker

scale trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Full Name:gordon berry

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

sweet make sure you post it....

#38 Kostas Parchas

Kostas Parchas

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Full Name:Kostas Parchas

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:19 PM

FANTASTIC DETAILS,

Kostas.

#39 chuckyr

chuckyr

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Full Name:C. Mitchell

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

I'm not sure if Roberts runs reefers, but the Great Dane would look good with this model.

#40 Sticks

Sticks

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Full Name:Evan

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Nice build mate, looking good