The dent on the driver's door was so severe that I found that the interior wouldn't fit right! (I know, new guy building a junker...
) After mulling over my options (dent the door pad or simulate damage to it, try to lessen the dent, etc...), a case of Advanced Modeler's Syndrome struck: Why don't I just cut out the terribly detailed door pads and make it look like they were long gone? Removed at some point in the Elkie's life, never to be replaced, I would have to find out what it looks like under the pad and scratch build it.
I did some serious Googling, and found this picture -
I sized it to fit where the door was and printed it off in scale from my friendly word processing program. I then taped it down on the thinnest sheet of styrene that I had. and lightly scored the sheet through the paper marking where some of the major details were. I wasn't going for perfect, just something to get the point across.
After marking the lines, I cut the holes out. I did it in three parts for each side, the front detailed piece with every hole cut out, a second sheet with the big holes cut out (to add depth), and the frame that shaped the outside. This is what I came up with.
A little smoothing up around the edges and they'll be ready for installation!
Edited by rhs856, 29 July 2011 - 04:32 PM.