Custom '49 Merc - 11/23 Thanks for advice, it's in the dip.49 Mercury
Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:51 AM
Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:12 AM
Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:32 AM
Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:03 AM
(And yes, I'm still looking for employment, it's just tech job recovery is something like 2% compared to other corporate jobs right now...)
Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:31 AM
1. Repaired the corners of the piece that was cut from the roof. I drilled the corners to start the cut and shape the corners. Then I added some half round stock and sanded it down a bit. With the expected gap, it still fits pretty good.
2. I stretched a piece of lint free cloth across the surface and taped to the back side and taped it into place on the model body. These lint free cloths I have gotten many private messages about (I used one to make the mexican blanket in my shop truck build). They are a thin cloth wipe often found in machine shops and labratories. They only come in bags of 100 and are VERY expensive. I wish I had more. What I have is left over from a previous employer.
3. I mixed a white glue/water mixture and applied it liberally over the cloth. If all goes well when dry it should hold it's shape pretty well. Note to self: in the future use a new (read: clean) brush for this application. I was so into what I was doing that I failed to notice the little slivers of brown acrylic paint that we being left by the brush. I'll likely use the removed portion of the top to make a frame to go beneath it. Seems simplest to me and I won't have to bend something to match the arc of the roof.
Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:44 AM
Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:33 PM
probably not a huge issue either as with the chopped top the interior isn't really all that visible on the finished model anyway.
No such luck. That soft top I posted above will be removable in order to show the interior detail which I intend to be a focus of the build. I'm either case, I'm gonna rethink the piping. I put the test piece in the purple pond to see if it will disolve the spray adhesive. If that doesn't work I'll try some 91% alcohol. If I can get the part clean I'll redo. I'm heading to Michaels anyway to find an alternative piping so I'll look at the Halloween decorations. Thanks for the suggestion.
Edited by Jantrix, 17 August 2011 - 01:45 PM.
Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:38 AM
Here's the doorpanel with the new piping and the door handle/window crank just made from twisted copper wire and a brass pin head.
Edited by Jantrix, 20 August 2011 - 10:19 AM.
Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:55 AM
Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:21 PM
Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:24 PM
Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:07 PM
Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:49 AM
Edited by Skydime, 29 August 2011 - 07:51 AM.
Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:53 AM
Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:50 AM
Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:58 AM
Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:32 PM
Also working on the top. The frame is complete. It was cut from the removed piece of the roof.
Still working on the front seat. And the streering wheel.
Edited by Jantrix, 03 September 2011 - 02:35 PM.