#21 M0par Jim

M0par Jim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Full Name:Jim

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:51 AM

For a prate, wasn't the prate captain or the main guy the boss.. didn't he/she always wear alot more then what the others did to show they was the big man in charge? So there for, I think the piping should also show signs of the big man also on his ship. I think the piping you used, is a good size sign of the big man kinda to so to his passengers (ship mates). I like what you are doing on this build.

#22 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

Pirate captains always wore more garish outfits than the men in their crews. This was to make them more memorable to the ships they attacked, and their flags were just as distinctive. It was a tactic to instill fear into whatever luckless galleon happened to blunder into their gunsights.

#23 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:32 AM

Guys thanks very much for the input, my wife was of the same mind. Over the top is the way to go. You know this model building would go a lot faster if I didn't have to go to work.

#24 Drake69

Drake69

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts
  • Full Name:Allen Manley

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:03 AM

Become unemployed like me. No job = more model cars to build!

(And yes, I'm still looking for employment, it's just tech job recovery is something like 2% compared to other corporate jobs right now...)

#25 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

After some serious grokking on the subject of the soft top for this build here is what I have come up with. I really want this to resemble sail canvas.

1. Repaired the corners of the piece that was cut from the roof. I drilled the corners to start the cut and shape the corners. Then I added some half round stock and sanded it down a bit. With the expected gap, it still fits pretty good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

2. I stretched a piece of lint free cloth across the surface and taped to the back side and taped it into place on the model body. These lint free cloths I have gotten many private messages about (I used one to make the mexican blanket in my shop truck build). They are a thin cloth wipe often found in machine shops and labratories. They only come in bags of 100 and are VERY expensive. I wish I had more. What I have is left over from a previous employer.

3. I mixed a white glue/water mixture and applied it liberally over the cloth. If all goes well when dry it should hold it's shape pretty well. Note to self: in the future use a new (read: clean) brush for this application. I was so into what I was doing that I failed to notice the little slivers of brown acrylic paint that we being left by the brush. I'll likely use the removed portion of the top to make a frame to go beneath it. Seems simplest to me and I won't have to bend something to match the arc of the roof.

Posted Image

Posted Image

More soon.

#26 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

Yeah DD, so did I,however as it was glued and pressed into place, the CA glue wicked into the fibers and flattened it quite a bit. I'm going to stick with it, it's not the only eye-grabbing thing I have planned for this, so it's not going to be a big deal in the end I figure.

#27 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

probably not a huge issue either as with the chopped top the interior isn't really all that visible on the finished model anyway.

No such luck. That soft top I posted above will be removable in order to show the interior detail which I intend to be a focus of the build. I'm either case, I'm gonna rethink the piping. I put the test piece in the purple pond to see if it will disolve the spray adhesive. If that doesn't work I'll try some 91% alcohol. If I can get the part clean I'll redo. I'm heading to Michaels anyway to find an alternative piping so I'll look at the Halloween decorations. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Jantrix, 17 August 2011 - 01:45 PM.

#28 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

I took at trip to Michaels today and wandered around looking at everything. I found a superthin braided gold ribbon that I think worked out tons better than the thread I was using as piping. I also picked up some gold beading pins that will be the gear shift lever and directional lever in the steering column, some clear and red rhinestones (ahhesive backed) that will be my headlight and taillight lenses.

Here's the doorpanel with the new piping and the door handle/window crank just made from twisted copper wire and a brass pin head.

Posted Image

Edited by Jantrix, 20 August 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#29 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:41 AM

Nice

G

#30 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Holy cow, man does that pic show off the flaws or what. It looks lots better to the naked eye, I assure you. Yeah Dave, I'm prety happy with it now.

#31 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:05 AM

Posted Image

#32 scale trucker

scale trucker

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Full Name:gordon berry

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

rob ,that is lookin real kool so far..

#33 deathskull59

deathskull59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Full Name:nathan

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:21 PM

i know this is going to be a very cool and 49/50 merc. but im really not in to pyrite stuff though.

#34 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,430 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

Very cool, chap, you are bringing in some great ideas and details.

#35 Stickit2gether

Stickit2gether

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Full Name:thomas burnham

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:07 PM

Wasnt sure about this one to begin with BUT Dude your pulling it off so far. Your ideas are great as well, I cant wait to see what all else you come up with. I love themed models anyways!!! Build on!!!!!

#36 Skydime

Skydime

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Full Name:None necessary

Posted 29 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

This thing is very cool. In addition to the pirate detail, I love the sliding ragtop look.

Edited by Skydime, 29 August 2011 - 07:51 AM.

#37 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

Got some flooring done. This is 1/32" balsa laid down in 4mm strips. It will be stained/painted to match the door panels. More soon.

Posted Image

#38 Terror

Terror

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Full Name:Terry Iocco

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Rob,this is cool man.Nice work ,don't forget the parrot.lol

#39 Darren B

Darren B

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Full Name:Darren B.

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:58 AM

this thing is very cool , way cool and the idea, the build and everything is just totally amazing, that is one of the reasons i love this hobby and the artist on this board, some of the best i have ever seen, i will for sure be keeping on eye on this one........................................

#40 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:32 PM

Okay the flooring is in and an working on the staining.

Posted Image

Also working on the top. The frame is complete. It was cut from the removed piece of the roof.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still working on the front seat. And the streering wheel.

Edited by Jantrix, 03 September 2011 - 02:35 PM.