#161 Tony T

Tony T

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • Full Name:Tony

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Interesting paint scheme, Rob. I think it needs to be yellowed in the background, like a papyrus colour to give it the papyrus or clothe map look. Could take some more work to add more details, like a compass (indicating "north"), maybe a ship, pirate skulls of course, land and water, etc.

#162 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,218 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

What's that red thing next to the palm tree? I think you need an "X marks the spot" somewhere. Templates that small must be difficult, but they can be done. I've seen Fatkidd make them. Where that dashed line takes a sharp turn - shouldn't there be a dot or something? It's been some time since I've seen a treasure map.

#163 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Rob, being honest. I like it. Think about this. If it were a real treasure map trees would not be detailed. Stuff like that was used for landmarks and nothing else. Honestly, Crudely drawn is way better. I don't believe pirates were into detail.

#164 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

Tony - the hood will feature a compass rose. Painted or decal, I'm not sure yet.

Jim- the spot next to the center palm tree represents a hole in the map. I have decided not to add a X to the map, because the journey is the point.

Jacen- I figured this forum had already figured that out.

Joshua- Thanks man.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

#165 Ramfins59

Ramfins59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,558 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manson

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Rob I think overall this entire build is pretty cool... Your treasure map paint job fits the theme of the build, even if it may not be appealing to all viewers. I can't wait to see the entire thing finished. Keep up the good work.

#166 dimebolt

dimebolt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • Full Name:Corey M. Jackson

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I think it has alot of neat, one off touches that really make it stand out.
Corey

#167 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Just went through every post on every page and I have to say Rob, you're one imaginative and talented builder. Love this theme. I was going through my local Ace hardware yesterday and they have their holiday buildings out for sale along with the accompanying figures which look to be close to the correct scale. I believe I saw a parrot or two in amongst the accessories.

Is your driver's first mate glued in? Because he could use a wooden peg leg and some tattered clothing like a vest and some scarves. Maybe a worn out pirate hat.

Arrrgggghhhh!!

#168 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,356 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

My honest critique, Rob, is that it is a totally DIFFERENT build, one of a kind. So much of it reminds me of what Hollywood Jim would do in terms of all the great details. Personally, all the white space of the map should have a bit of weathering, like it's an old map. I am thinking sepia. I am thinking of those great pirate templates CRAIG FRASER released a couple of years ago. A few stains on the white surface of the paper woud look really cool, and of course a couple of skulls here and there would also add more flavor.

#169 cobraman

cobraman

Crazy 'bout Cobras!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,218 posts
  • Full Name:Ray Kurn

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Brads suggestion of the peg leg and tattered clothing sounds good.

#170 Johnny1973

Johnny1973

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Full Name:John Hines III

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

Merc is looking good.nice detail to the interior and body look good too.Freehand is easy if you have a steady hand but I now I do not have a steady hand.

#171 H.A.K

H.A.K

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Full Name:Samuel Denehy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Kool

#172 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Is your driver's first mate glued in? Because he could use a wooden peg leg and some tattered clothing like a vest and some scarves. Maybe a worn out pirate hat.

I may yet do some more with the former first mate, but I want to finish the rest of the build first.

Freehand is easy if you have a steady hand but I now I do not have a steady hand.

Ever since my carpal tunnel release surgeries my hands are a lot less steady then they used to be, but honestly I was never that good at freehanding.

Edited by Jantrix, 18 November 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#173 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

My honest critique, Rob, is that it is a totally DIFFERENT build, one of a kind. So much of it reminds me of what Hollywood Jim would do in terms of all the great details. Personally, all the white space of the map should have a bit of weathering, like it's an old map. I am thinking sepia. I am thinking of those great pirate templates CRAIG FRASER released a couple of years ago. A few stains on the white surface of the paper woud look really cool, and of course a couple of skulls here and there would also add more flavor.

Thanks man. I appreciate that. Jim's work was a real eye opener for me and really inspired and motivated me. I'm not sure how to go about the sepia idea, but I do intend to weather the "parchment" a bit. I'm just not sure how my hand painted details look. I'm no real happy with them, but I don't know how to do any better either.

Ideas welcome.

#174 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

My advice would be to work it till you're happy with it but to remember that not all pirate maps were drawn by master cartographers.

Great work on this build.

#175 Tom Setzer

Tom Setzer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Full Name:Thomas J.C. Setzer

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

This is one wild build!

#176 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,129 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

My advice would be to work it till you're happy with it but to remember that not all pirate maps were drawn by master cartographers.

Great work on this build.

:lol: This one neither! Thanks man. You too Tom.

#177 Fat Brian

Fat Brian

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Full Name:Brian Croft

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

You might try using a finer brush to be able to make thinner points on the palm fronds and things. Also, you might need to thin the paint some to keep it from chunking up. I have tried to use those hobby acrylic paints and after you paint for a bit the brush begins to gob up with half dried paint.

#178 blunc

blunc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Full Name:mike cassidy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

I just had a thought, I have seen a painter friend use colored pencils during his airbrush work, give that a try, or maybe some fine tipped markers...try a spoon test to see if you can spray clear over marker ink.

#179 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

Guys, I need an honest critique here guys. Please pull no punches. You cannot hurt my feelings.

Honestly Rob, I think it would have looked cool to make the body look like it was made from sea weathered wood. Paint it a dark gray and outline the planks and add wood grain to it. But, with the paint job you have, I think you just need to get rid of the palm trees or make them much smaller. To me, the outline you have around the map looks right. I don't think it should look perfect. If you could make the map look wrinkled and crumpled up would help too. The interior is just too cool!!

#180 Dogfish_7

Dogfish_7

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Full Name:Bruce Osborne

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

What imagineering!