• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:40 AM

Yup. The iron plants in the 2010s are generally finished this way:

Posted Image

where the aluminum mills in the 2011+ are generally done like this:

Posted Image

And there are enough similarities there that it doesn't look like too much of a fudge to paint the 2010 engine to 2011+ specs. Most obvious things I see are the disappearance of that little reservoir in front of the left head, and the addition of the firewall insulation. You'll find that insulation on the 2011+ GTs too.

#142 Kaleb

Kaleb

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • Full Name:Joshua

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

Ah so there's the difference, I painted mine but Im going back with the 10 specs IMO it looks better...I changed my mind on the paint so blue wouldn't look good with orange.

#143 Porscheman

Porscheman

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Full Name:Al Meske

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I received this one on Thursday and painted it 68 Shelby Acapulco Blue. When it came to the stripes, they are very thin as previously mentioned and I screwed them up bad. So I had find an alternative. I was going to paint the stripes on but I didn't feel like masking everything off. I measured the width of the decal stripes and found that PVC white electrical tape is the same width. As long as you take your time and try not to stretch it, you get a very flexable stripe that that can be removed without damaging the paint and it come many different colors. Just make sure you get PVC tape, anything else will shrink. I used this for the black window trim that was turning back to chrome with age on my Porsche and it been on the car for 3 years with no shrinkage. This is my 1st post and thought this maybe another idea for the stripes on the Shelby.

#144 F91

F91

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Full Name:Rich Danison

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

Mine has the light blue valve covers, as does my 2011 1:1 5.0, so it's my own little custom job. Dreading the stripes, I went with a Red body.

#145 gridjockey

gridjockey

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Full Name:david

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:20 AM

i was looking around for some aftermarket wheels for this kit and found out that the guy over at ebay who sells the torque thruster american racing rims in 1/8 scale plans to make up some resin wheels for this kit . the 19" torque thrusters for a steve mcqueen bullit build of this kit would sell like crazy.

Edited by gridjockey, 07 October 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#146 Casey

Casey

MCM Ohana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,901 posts
  • Full Name:Casey Littmann

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

i was looking around for some aftermarket wheels for this kit and found out that they guy over at ebay who sells the torque thruster american racing rims in 1/8 scale plans to make up some resin wheels for this kit . the 19" torque thrusters for a steve mcqueen bullit build of this kit would sell like crazy.

I just got my kit Thursday, so I am going to get started on some wheels for this kit this week. I really like the two-piece construction of these wheels and we finally have some modern low-profile tires in 1/12 scale. B)

This kit "feels" an awful lot like Monogram's 1/12 '69 Camaro Z/28 kit, and that's a good thing. :)

#147 airb

airb

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Full Name:Rudy Baeten

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

The kit is also annonced by Revell Germany for 2012.

#148 tobaccoleafpie

tobaccoleafpie

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Full Name:Kevin Lew

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Hey folks! This model is on Amazon for a pretty good price. $45.45 plus about $7 shipping. I bought mine from the same vendor for a bit less than $40 and he has since raised the price. Just thought I'd let you know, and Seasons Greetings!

#149 Scalefinishes

Scalefinishes

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Full Name:Jameston Kroon

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Okay,

I know I'm a bit late on this, but the info is good! The color used on the bottom of these Mustangs is olive green Ecoat. SEM sells a spray paint that is dead on for this color. http://sem.ws/Catalog.asp?prod=327 You can get this at any good automotive paint supply store (and their black is great for replacement panels). I will soon be carrying a rust color, so anyone who wants to go that route...

#150 singularity

singularity

Looker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Full Name:AJ Antony

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:02 AM

Great thread David! Thanks for the tips... just got started on my GT500 replica. Going for the Ingot silver with black stripes paint scheme and anthracite wheels... Problem is, I messed up the wheels really bad (bout of absent-mindedness), is there any way I can get replacements or comparable wheels for the model?
I tried placing an order on Revell's replacement parts site but it doesn't seem to have accepted my order for some reason, even though I received a confirmation email. Please Help!

#151 prostreeter69

prostreeter69

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Full Name:Jon Williams

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Hey David:

How did you keep the decals from "silvering" on the flat paint of the interior?

Jon

#152 freakshow12

freakshow12

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Full Name:fred mckee

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

I will be converting one of these to 14 specs shortly to match my 1:1

#153 freakshow12

freakshow12

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

Also, all you guys are painting the blower snout silver! The whole unit is black from 07-10

#154 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:45 AM

Well.  Not all of us - 

IMGP2338-vi.jpg

but  I thought this was Dave T's thread (least up till now), so "all" - ?

One thing to bear in mind is that every so often kit manufacturers mold like-colored elements of the 1:1 together, so it wasn't entirely unreasonable to suppose that the front of the blower might be silver/aluminum, since it's molded to the front engine cover iIrc.

As for the decals, the ones on mine were of a delicate sort.  They tended to delaminate even under a few coats of clear when you pulled your masking medium off.  But what they traded back was very thin and flexible carrier that responded well to setting solution; that took care of most of the silvering even on flat-finished pieces, and then the Mr Color flat overcoat I sprayed on the seats pretty much wiped out any remaining traces.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 21 May 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#155 freakshow12

freakshow12

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:12 AM

Sorry chuck. Yours turned out great. I'm not sure why they molded the snout into the front cover. Guessing for positive placement of all parts. May I ask if the seats have the embossing where the stripes go? On black stripe cars ( like mine) the stitching is on the seats so there are still stripes in the seats just that they blend in

#156 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

Oh, no apologies necessary.  B) 

As I recall - been a while since I did this one, some 2 1/2 years - I believe there are some very faint raised guide lines to indicate where to place the decals.  As for fully embossed detail or a difference in texture, though, pretty sure there's nothing molded to the plastic.

Now I'm not certain of the texture differences as they apply to same-color stripes, but a trick I tried to simulate the alcantara/suede-ish patches was to mask off the seats and steering wheel and shoot gray Testors "fabric" lacquer as a base to add some texture in those strategic places. You might experiment a bit with that on some scrap parts, maybe sand it down some, compare it with bare plastic or primers under your color coat of choice to see what subtle effects you might find, and there you might discover an approach for your stripes.

#157 freakshow12

freakshow12

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Here is my 1:1 14 seat. The stripes are not perforated but the rest is in the middle. I will be changing this kit to 14 specs but this may be my biggest hurdle...Attached File  image.jpg   61.19KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   56.42KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   128.54KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   46.13KB   0 downloads

#158 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

WOW, okay.  Tricky one to crack there.

My single best guess is to find a way to get light gray dots printed on clear decal film, 'cause there'll be hell to pay trying to capture that actual perforated texture to a convincing scale effect, far as I can figure.  I'm wondering if playing with periods on a word processing program then changing the color to as light a gray as you can, testing it out on paper, then printing it to the decal stock and sealing it might do the trick.

Otherwise, the best cheat may be to paint those perforated sections in a coarse dark metallic shade close to the black of the seat.

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis, 21 May 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#159 freakshow12

freakshow12

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:34 PM

Yeah it would be tricky. The flash was on as it's in the garage so they blend in pretty good. What I was really trying to capture is where the stripes are. Does the kit have those lines molded in? Then there is the obstacle of making the glass roof...

#160 Chuck Kourouklis

Chuck Kourouklis

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

Doesn't have upholstery seams for the stripes molded in as I remember.  Just very fine raised lines to help locate the decals, I think, and while those might help for paint masking, the stitching will be a trick in itself.