Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your favorite Diorama Subject

Barbo

UUUMMM...Dear Mr. Madslammer , you are in the right forum , if you are speaking about Scale Dioramas as if 1/24 , 1/25 , 1/32 , 1/12 , 1/18 , 1/16 , etc, etc , etc , but if you are speaking about life Scale Dioramas, I would say you are in the wrong forum :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink: :wink: .........your almost friend...ja,ja,ja,ja,..........Barbo.

Like many dioramaniacs, i do a lot of junkers and garages or shops. What i want to do more than any thing else, right now is either a dio of going into the hotel tunnel at Monte Carlo, or the Phillips 66 gas station in Wisconsin, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Both VERY difficult builds.

I'm kind of partial to construction, agricultural or emergency services dios. My current venture is a gravel pit shadow box built into an old TV cabinet. Progress is slow. I'm still working on th emodels and haven't started on the ground work yet.

It nothing personnel but I'm not into rusted out things. I call them diorelics. They just don't wind my watch.

Thanks

Carl

Hi...Soonerolds...you are talking about great architectural models , I admire the work of Frank Lioyd Wright , If you ever need help on that one I have some photos and sketches of the gas station. You can also have more infomation at RoadsideAmerica.com and look for Phillips 66 Gas Station , Cloquet , Minnesota by Frank Loyd Wright.........Have fun...Barbo

Hi soonerolds

Thanks for the kind words. but progress is slow.

About the only item that I've finished for the dio is the cable blade D8 Dozer. I posted some pics of it in the "Under Glass" section a while back. I think this will link back to it.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forum/viewtopi...ighlight=#23890

I also have a bantam diecast swing shovel that I weathered a bit and installed an operator.

DSCN3756.jpg

I haven't made any progress on the rock crusher other than gathering research material and the TV cabinet is still waiting for me to attack it with a skil saw.

Thanks

Carl Avis

Well, my favorite dio subject is anything that makes a truck look good. An interstate scene with the truck being driven down the road is my absolute favorite, although I would love to see someone(eventually I will be) do a truck garage diorama. I'm going to do maybe two bays of a big garage. One of the trucks will have it's engine somewhat torn down. Just strying to decide on the models, and a base.

By the way, I see behind that piece of heavy equipment is a flatbed truck. Is it a B train? It looks like it. Cool progress so far.

As to dirty models, I like them to a point, but usually, I like the lighter, daily dirt kind of weathering. It seems that ever since people started to weather their models, the 50 years of rust concept has always been what everyone goes for. I like them, but I would like to see more light weathering. That's what I tend to go for. You know, like it really has been driven, used, but not filthy. Like the truck I'm doing now, it has that look of being driven, and it could stand a bath, but it's not flithy. For those that weather haevily, there's nothing wrong with it, it just seems like no one goes for just a little.

Good eye , Ray

What you see behind the swing shovel is a not quite finshed flatbed lumber hauling B train. I made it from a pair of AMT flatbeds. The lead trailer is a 28'deck tri-axle and the tag trailer is a 24' tandam. I scratch built strap winches out of brass shim stock for the trailers. I still have to finish off some more lumber bundles and install the load binders. I'm planning on doing a lumberyard dio with a diecast forklift. I also still need to build a tractor for it. I don't have any better pictures of this trailer yet.

Your vison of weathering is almost the same as mine. i like to see things weathered as they would appear in normal working condition. I tend to add wipper swipes to the windshields and road spray to the wheel wells and stuff like that.

Thanks

Carl

I agree. I like the B train, and hope to see it when it's done. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the work in a very weathered model, but you and I are the same in terms of weathering. My Autocar that is being done right now will be pulling a "Michigan Train" of dump trailers. I did weather it, but I want it to look as though it fairly new and gets washed once a week. Like it's maybe a year old. The wiper streaks are a cool idea. I think I will add those. Eventually this will be part of a dio. Maybe with the driver tying the tarps down, or something like that. I want my trucks that end up in dios to have the drivers doing some of those basic little tasks. We'll see where this one ends up.

• 1 month later...