#21 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:03 AM

"When the corrections are made to the chassis to allow a accurate F/S build of this kit," are you talking about the old AMT AWB kits? I still don't see where it says anywhere that the chassis on these kits are anything but stock, F/Stock, factory stock, unaltered stock. Help me out here.

#22 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:13 AM

"When the corrections are made to the chassis to allow a accurate F/S build of this kit," are you talking about the old AMT AWB kits? I still don't see where it says anywhere that the chassis on these kits are anything but stock, F/Stock, factory stock, unaltered stock. Help me out here.

On the Trumpeter Falcon HT kit and probably the convertible too the rear wheel wells are a little wide. My guess is to allow for the wider tires that are coming with the street & strip version. Properly detailed and using the optional dual exhaust the chassis still looks pretty good to me. I've got a hardtop kit on the workbench right now. I'll try to post some photos later.

Steve

#23 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts
  • Full Name:Lee

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

The Hudson Hornet has accuracy issues too. Like the rearend mounting to the frame,emblems that look like they are a scale three inches thick,pegs on light lenses. Plus these kits are not $50 like everyone keeps saying. They're online everywhere in the $36-$39 range. Even if they were $50,I would pay $50 for a Trumpeter Falcon before I would pay $15 for the Mobius Hornet.

If you look at the thread about this kit, it has been told us that Mobius has removed the pegs. As far as thick emblems, I think that is fine, as ashallow ones get buried under paint too easily. The rear end mounting is small potatos compared to the issues with the Falcon. The tubbed wheels wells just really do it in for me. If they were not tubbed, and I could find it for the same or similar price to the Hudson, then maybe.

#24 blubaja

blubaja

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Full Name:Francis Xavier Tiewski 3rd

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

She has the look on her face of "you spent my engagement ring money on THAT?!" lol

#25 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

Steve, are you doing it factory stock?

#26 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:43 PM

Greg, the Trumpeter Falcon kit's chassis has non-stock deep rear wheelwells or tubs.

that's really the least of it's problems though as there are accuracy issues all over the kit. i think it's a combination of all of that, that has people so upset and bothered with it.

Exactly correct sir! (Hand clapping emoticon here)

#27 Greg Myers

Greg Myers

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Full Name:Gregory Myers

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:50 PM

Thank you all for enlightening me on this topic. I was unaware. :mellow:

#28 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:27 PM

The rear wheel wells being wider than stock is a good thing to me...allows using wider tires than the bicycle width stock '60s style tires.. :)

I haven't bought either of the Falcons yet, I have builtups of the old AMTs, but it looks like the Trumpeter kits, as it always is with Trumpeter kits, have a variety of issues...

#29 sak

sak

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Full Name:Jeff Kovak

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

The rear wheel wells being wider than stock is a good thing to me...allows using wider tires than the bicycle width stock '60s style tires.. :)

I haven't bought either of the Falcons yet, I have builtups of the old AMTs, but it looks like the Trumpeter kits, as it always is with Trumpeter kits, have a variety of issues...

I'm with you, I don't understand why anything should be made to look stock when some nice wider tires and some sort of wheel such as cragars make everything look so much more badass.

#30 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

Steve, are you doing it factory stock?

Yes, and I'm sticking to out of the box on this build too. I'm seeing how nice I can make it look with just the basics. I could have kit bashed a more detailed trans for example and I might have modified the dual exhaust to something more flowing behind the mufflers. Here's where I'm at so far ......

Posted Image

Painted and assembled the rear wheel wells don't look all that wide to me anymore. While it's far from pefect but it sure beats that old AMT annual chassis every day of the week and twice on Sunday ....

-Steve

Edited by SteveG, 25 August 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#31 SteveG

SteveG

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

Here's another pic showing the finished engine bay. I think it's one of the highpoints of this kit. Yes, I know the stock intake is missing some runners but the multi-piece generator and power stering pump are super nice.

Posted Image

Imagine how it would look with some basic wiring, some well place decals or maybe that Dual-quad manifold shown on the street & strip box art ......

#32 plowboy

plowboy

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  • Full Name:Roger Hayes

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:07 PM

The wide rear fenderwells are a plus for me. It sure beats having to do a bunch of work just to fit a decent sized set of rear tires like I had to do with the Revell Nova. I had had to grind out the fenderwells,inside of the quarter panels,plus narrow the rearend just to put a set of Good Year SCS's on the rear. I surely won't have that problem with this model. The chassis is a little flat looking,but I never display my models on their roof anyway.

#33 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,092 posts
  • Full Name:^See Above

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

The chassis is a little flat looking,but I never display my models on their roof anyway.

I'VE BEEN SAYING THAT FOR YEARS!!!! :lol:
Lackluster chassis detail means little to me... though cruddy engine detail irks me to no end. Weird, huh?

#34 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

I'VE BEEN SAYING THAT FOR YEARS!!!! :lol:
Lackluster chassis detail means little to me... though cruddy engine detail irks me to no end. Weird, huh?

Yeah, it's like with old AMT kits...the molded in exhaust, suspension, and wire axles don't bother me at all....what counts for me are the accurate body, interior, engine...

#35 midnightprowler

midnightprowler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

I'm with you, I don't understand why anything should be made to look stock when some nice wider tires and some sort of wheel such as cragars make everything look so much more badass.

Umm, because some people prefer that? Each to their own. My choice is no less relevant than yours, yours is no less than mine, we all have our own preferences. I agree Ken, if there were not practically dozens of issues, then maybe. I'd have a hard time shelling out 20 bucks for this based on that. Steve, could you pm me for my email so you could send pics to me? My filter blocks a number of photo hosting sites, and yours is one of them.

#36 Tonioseven

Tonioseven

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Full Name:Antonio Holmes

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:25 AM

A shame this kit's $50 (or likely close) I'd just love a set of those hubcaps.

If I get one, you have dibs on the hubcaps. Keep reminding me. :)

Edited by Tonioseven, 26 August 2011 - 01:28 AM.

#37 jbwelda

jbwelda

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Full Name:William Just

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

@Horsepower: yep i guess you are right...the guys hands arent even dirty yet cause he only took off the air filter so far!

#38 Darbo

Darbo

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Darbo

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Guys, i just picked this kit up today (sorry no pics yet as i quickly opened the box in the car outside the LHS!!), and as i never purchased the original falcon i deceided to wait for this one to become available and i must say i am impressed with the kit and its packaging(Chrome and glass pieces wrapped and bagged).

#39 jasoncamaro

jasoncamaro

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Full Name:Jason Rogers

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

Seeing these pics makes my mind up about getting one. Looks pretty ###### good to me and you even get some great extra wheels for the parts box!

#40 Darbo

Darbo

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Full Name:Andrew Darbo

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

hey george, you can post the pics seeing you have it all opened up!