Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1960 Starliner question

Well some quick Googling and a look at the kit box, reveals that the engine was a 352 FE (Ford/Edsel) engine. According to Wiki, they are technically a y-block design.

Oh wait...........yer needing shifter linkeage? Well then you're needing to find out what transmission is depicted in the kit, not what engine. As to that I have no idea. Very few kits would bother to show that in the instructions unless they offer a part to depict the shifter linkage.

I'm working on the Starliner right now as well. It is hard to mount the shift linkage. There should be a small indentation on the drivers side of the transmission . There is a mounting tab on the linkage itself that kind of fits in that indentation. I recommend scraping off any paint on the mounting surface of both parts before glueing.

What I also learned the hard way is that the two engine blocks and trans. are NOT the same. There's one that has a cylindrical part molded at 90 degrees on the transmission that will get in the way of the shift linkage. Don't use that motor, use the other one with a flatter area where the linkage goes.

I'm not sure what the original kit is like, but the Round 2 2008 release has options for both manual and automatic transmission. The linkage can be seen below:

post-4855-0-62217200-1314399865_thumb.pn

What I also learned the hard way is that the two engine blocks and trans. are NOT the same.

Oh. :blink:

Would you mind snapping a photo of yours so I can tell the difference? I can see that there is a difference, I just can't see which is which or where the linkage actually goes.

Okay, my bad. I looked at my kit and didn't see the linkage in the instructions (because it IS so badly done) so i thought you were adding an aftermarket PE set and wanted to know where it went. My mistake.

No probs, Jantrix. ;)

Oh. :blink:

Would you mind snapping a photo of yours so I can tell the difference? I can see that there is a difference, I just can't see which is which or where the linkage actually goes.

I'll see if I can get a picture tonight or tomorrow for you. I used one of the motors in a '32 build I did, and THAT one probably should have had the linkage on it. I had to cut off that little cylindrical molding on the one that's going in the Starliner so that the linkage would fit.

I snapped some photo's today. Sorry for the delay but wasn't around this weekend. I hope these help in mounting your linkage. It's not real easy so be patient. In the 3rd pic, the arrow indicates where the cylindrical molded part was that I had to remove from this transmission in order to get the linkage to mount.

DSC_3976.jpg

DSC_3975.jpg

DSC_3972.jpg

the cylindrical part you had to remove more than likely represented the overdrive solenoid on the 3speed with overdrive. not exactly sure why they chose that transmission for the kit representation, except for limiting themselves to what was an option for over the counter in 1960. it would have been in the way for a floor shifted three speed anyway.... but not for a column shifted car. the '60 i had was a 352 FE with a three speed automatic, column shift. beautiful car, probably one of the prettiest cars i ever had, along with a '62 Continental and a Volvo p1800 coupe....... but she was a rust bucket. she'd do 110 easily enough...... Florida Highway Patrol will remind me of that from a trip i made while i was in the Navy.

the cylindrical part you had to remove more than likely represented the overdrive solenoid on the 3speed with overdrive. not exactly sure why they chose that transmission for the kit representation, except for limiting themselves to what was an option for over the counter in 1960. it would have been in the way for a floor shifted three speed anyway.... but not for a column shifted car. the '60 i had was a 352 FE with a three speed automatic, column shift. beautiful car, probably one of the prettiest cars i ever had, along with a '62 Continental and a Volvo p1800 coupe....... but she was a rust bucket. she'd do 110 easily enough...... Florida Highway Patrol will remind me of that from a trip i made while i was in the Navy.

Thanks for the insight on that...makes sense now. The kit gives you 2 options for motors and includes parts to build both completely. What the instructions don't tell you is that there is a difference. Both engines use block halves #1 & #2. The only difference being the O/D solenoid apparently. Oh well...my Starliner will have the modified tranny with linkage and no overdrive now, so I guess it will be passable :lol:

they (ALL of them) used to actually describe in detail all the parts of the kit, and tell you what the accessory parts were so, when you got old enough, you could open an Almquist or Honest Charley catalog and order that part for your 1:1 car...

those were the days...... now, with our litigious society, you have to license names..... or just call them "custom" parts.

well; as far as it being plastic... none of my builds have wires or brake lines..... fumble fingers and failing eyes don't do well with short patience and quick temper.... and if it isn't seen on the finished build, and it happens to be in the way otherwise.... off it comes!

• 2 weeks later...

Well some quick Googling and a look at the kit box, reveals that the engine was a 352 FE (Ford/Edsel) engine. According to Wiki, they are technically a y-block design.

Ah, good old Wikipedia. :lol: Saying an FE is technically a Y-Block is like saying the inline six in your Trailblazer is technically a Stovebolt!