#61 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Full Name:Bart Huyett

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Ok, some of you have asked to see the inner workings of the door. This is DEFCON 5 here and very confidential like "Area 51" stuff.... :D

Here is a better pic of the hinge on the front of the door with the inner door skin in Primer. Almost done just a few touchup spots and it will be finished. As you can see I also have the inner door fire retardant sound barrier in place and this will be how it will look when buttoned up.
Posted Image

This pic if you look close in the locked position you can see the piano wire protruding out in the locked position.
Posted Image

And last but not least... the Class 6 TOP SECRET part everyone has been asking for.
The spring I had was to small and didn't allow enough movement, so on a search for a different one. I have my eye on one now, just need to break down and buy them.
Posted Image
You can see where I had to dig out some of the resin for the Piano wire, because of the door panel protruding inward, it started to interfere with the movement of the locking mechanism.

Like I said, it is very simplistic and does the required job. I just have to notch the end to accept the opposite pin that is mounted on the chassis.

#62 baddgass

baddgass

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Now that's NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#63 krazyglu

krazyglu

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Full Name:Steven Witte

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Well Bart I got my jaw wired for this one and thank goodness because I'm at a loss for words.....no pun intended :lol: The scratch building and attention to detail of this are beyond anything I have seen. Fantastic skill and patience........I'm subscribed!

#64 Nitrozilla

Nitrozilla

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Goss

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

That door handle mechanism thingie could work with ANYTHING. Great craftsmanship. Good luck on your spring hunt.

#65 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

badgass, krazyglu, and Batzilla, Thank you for the complements, it is greatly appreciated.

If anyone has an suggestions on where I can search for a miniature spring, it would be much appreciated. Found some on the Bay, but could go smaller possibly.

My next project, I am sure others will get a kick out of as I begin moving forward on the build! So many plans for this build, just hoping I can pull them all off.

That door handle mechanism thingie could work with ANYTHING. Great craftsmanship. Good luck on your spring hunt.

Joe you are correct, it could be used in many places. It is pulled directly from a 1:1 door handle mechanism where it attaches to the door/rod. That little "Z" section... only difference is that on the 1:1 they have a little plastic piece that would drop down over the bar and snap to secure it from falling off of the door handle.

Edited by eviltwincustoms, 01 October 2011 - 05:16 AM.

#66 mr68gts

mr68gts

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Full Name:Paul Mendoza

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

Have you tried www.smallparts.com for the spring Bart?
Paul

#67 Scott Colmer

Scott Colmer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:09 AM

The door mechanism is brilliant in its simplicity. I can see myself stealing that one. Great build overall too!

Edited by Scott Colmer, 01 October 2011 - 06:10 AM.

#68 Nitrozilla

Nitrozilla

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Goss

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:31 AM

Paul

New bookmark in favorites TYVM.

#69 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

Paul

Thanks for the TIP... I will have to check it out!

#70 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

The door mechanism is brilliant in its simplicity. I can see myself stealing that one. Great build overall too!

Thanks for the complement Scott... it is very simplistic. :) ... I say Steal AWAY!!! Anything I can do to help another customizer, I feel privileged.

#71 1320wayne

1320wayne

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Stevens, JR.

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Bart, your door detail is fantastic. I will also say that I will have to be trying out your hinge method on my next pro mod subject. As far as the spring hunt goes, the perfect size spring for what you need is as close as your nearest hardware store that sells or re-keys door locks. The springs inside a door lock mechanism are the perfect size for what you need with just the right type of tension. Check it out. If you can't find anything near you let me know. I have quite a few and can afford to spare a couple.

#72 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

Bart, your door detail is fantastic. I will also say that I will have to be trying out your hinge method on my next pro mod subject. As far as the spring hunt goes, the perfect size spring for what you need is as close as your nearest hardware store that sells or re-keys door locks. The springs inside a door lock mechanism are the perfect size for what you need with just the right type of tension. Check it out. If you can't find anything near you let me know. I have quite a few and can afford to spare a couple.

Thanks Wayne, I will go hunt down a TrueValue Hardware store and see if they may have something. If not i will be getting in touch.

#73 futurattraction

futurattraction

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • Full Name:Scott Popham

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hey Bart,
Take a look at centuryspring.com They've got a ton of springs, many of which are smaller than .125 OD. Not sure how small you're looking for, but you can search their site. Good luck! Oh...BTW, I love the simplicity of your latch mechanism. It's really a cool feature. Of course your whole build is just chock full of cool features, so I repeat myself... :-)

#74 Prostreet

Prostreet

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Beard

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Bart, Door looks great. Very neat idea for the functioning lever.

#75 streetisneat

streetisneat

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Full Name:Paul PJ McCreary

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:53 PM

Man, how cool is that.

#76 stump

stump

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Location:Aussie....Northern N.S.W. Not far from Dragalogalong..
  • Full Name:Greg "stump" Armour

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

Man, how cool is that.

My thoughts exactly........ :blink:

Bart, for such a simple idea, I thank you. :) Been scratching my head looking for ways to secure my 1/12 doors. (bingo ! B) )
Great work my friend, keep it going.

#77 camarofan

camarofan

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Full Name:Dalton h.

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

looking good there man keep us posted

#78 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

looking good there man keep us posted

Thanks Dalton for the complement, from a fellow modeler.

My thoughts exactly........ :blink:

Bart, for such a simple idea, I thank you. :) Been scratching my head looking for ways to secure my 1/12 doors. (bingo ! B) )
Great work my friend, keep it going.

Thanks Greg for the kind words. I am excited, it sound's like my little tidbit of information will be beneficial for plenty on the forums. :P

#79 eviltwincustoms

eviltwincustoms

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:30 AM

streetisneat
Thanks Paul for the complement!

Prostreet
Thanks Joe, maybe it is something you can even throw into your Pro Mod build as well. :)

futurattraction
Scott, I appreciate you pointing me towards that site. I am looking to get a spring around .078" OD or smaller if possible. However most of the extension springs are around that .125 size you are saying. The smaller diameter seem to be in the compression springs, so I may have to see if I can form a loop on each end and still use the Compression spring instead.

I am an overly detailed person, and sometimes I think I spend more time then necessary trying to figure out how to make something better. This is my nemesis I guess you could say!

Edited by eviltwincustoms, 02 October 2011 - 05:32 AM.

#80 gasser59

gasser59

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Full Name:Brad Norgaard

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:52 AM

What a coool idea!! Really small springs can be found in the pins that hold bands on watches. They are really small though and may be too small. Good luck on your hunt.