Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Buick GSX "Flipnose"

John Teresi

Hello.......I have started a 1970 Buick GSX "Flipnose"......this is another resin body from Greg Wann "Master Caster" from Arizona the "Moonlight Modelers Club"......the donor is a Revell/Monogram 1/24: 70` Buick GSX kit.....I will use a 440 six pack engine under the hood.......thank`s for looking.

electricbanana-1php.jpg

BuickFinal1.jpg

DSCF0319.jpg

DSCF0317.jpg

Edited by John Teresi

Guest Markus355

How dare you taint a buick engine compartment with that freakin anchor?!

Someone ought to beat you with a rubber hose.

Edited by Markus355

Hemi, Schemi. if a stage 2 455 cant break a gm 12 bolt then i know a 440 won't hurt it :D . But seriously i think it is only plastic and resin. Yeah i too was miffed cuz we all know those Bufords kicked Ma Mopar all over the Strip way back in the 80's . If this car is like the ItalVette (sorry for the spelling) then i can forgive the engine . Besides a Ferrari in a Chev is more :angry: to me LMAO.

Good Luck with this build Sir you are a true Artist.

Michael

And so here we go again. Who cares what he powers it with. I personally don't get the 'Put this engine into this chassis' garbage: if it's a Buick, power it with a Buick. A Mopar belongs in a Mopar (or a high performance straight-line acceleration vehicle).

As to you guys and your 'Buick is better than Mopar' and 'At least he isn't building a Ford' yapping: each manufacturer had a dominant engine. The Buick 455 (in any stage) did create more torque than the mighty Hemi, but it ran out of steam as the Hemi just kept on breathing (there is a reason it holds NASCAR and NHRA speed records, along with countless RTA and SCTA records). Fords cammers and 429s were fine, but its' real gem was the wind-happy BOSS302. Chevy had phenomenal success with its' Small Block as it was (for the time it was introduced) light, compact, and highly versatile. The 427 Chevy was great as it had near perfect bore/stroke ratio as well as rod/stroke ratio. Mopars were built like tanks, and took terrible abuse before letting go.

Look at modern powertrains: LS series Chevy has great potential (thanks to finally getting with the program and going early Mopar/Ford head configuration) due to its indestructible bottom end and great heads. Ford has the Coyote and Modular family engines. Seen the power coming from them on such a diminuative cubic inch displacement? Mopar still has the 'Hemi' and it does a far better job than its 426cid father did with less cubes. Dare I bring the imports into this? Pray not.

Just build the model and see where it goes.

Edited by whale392

Guest Markus355

That, and GM 12 bolts are always suspicious. Gimme a 9 inch Ford any day.

Bob

9 inches are tough, and they are convenient for doing gear swaps, but my GOD theyr a heavy sucker.

the best setub is to get a 1957 GM housing (i know chevys will work for this but im unsyre of the BOP rear ends) you can machine the case to fit the ford guts in it with very little work.

voila!

convenience and strength in a light weight pkg

This will be very nice model! I like watching your builds, they are spectacular. This one looks really good already, only thing what I should do different, is those wheels, but otherwise looking really good. Flipnose looks good on this Buick. Keep it up.

Talk about highjacking a thread!

Build on, John ... even if you choose to build your MODEL CAR with a plastic representation of a Briggs & Stratton, I'll be watching!

Waiting for more modeling excellence to break through the clutter ...

B)

Briggs & Stratton :D I agree. This looks to be a very interesting project. People have blurred the lines for years. Look how standard a Chevy small block is in a 32 Ford. Let's see where this goes. I'm sure it will be great.