Resin Mustang Lx's a Comparison and Review thread.

resin mustang Mustang LX Mustang Resin Lx coupe

• You cannot reply to this topic
162 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

So.... basically all three notchback bodies are turkeys, even though they all look like Fox Notchbacks to me.

I'm not holding my breath for Revell to pop a notchback, personally. And even if they do, who's to say it won't be as flawed as any of the existing resin bodies?

#22 kelson

kelson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Full Name:curtis boxill

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Thanks for the review,i'm wondering if anyone on the forum has bought RR's LX'convertible?i'm thinking of buying a few and would love to know the pro's and con's before spending my hard earned money.

#23 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Didn't Monogram do a drop-top Fox Mustang? I seem to remember one being issued as the 'New Monkeemobile', but that had to have been a good 20 years ago.

#24 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

Chuck, Monogram has had a drop-top FOX in their line-up since 1984 (with their 1983-84 GLX convertible). The 'New Monkeys' 1987 GT Drop-top was just the 1983-84 with a newer (87) body dropped over it (yes, all of the 1983-84 parts are there EXCEPT the body (Monogram jumped the gun a bit with that kit!). Subsequent issues (1989 GT convertible) got a closer-to-correct interior (and the original issue 1991GT convert also got the Pony wheels and the Saleen-style trunklid spoiler), but for a 1991 it is incorrect in that it has large headrests and a small steering wheel where it should have the small headrests and airbag wheel). 1992 GT droptop kept the Ponies, but lost the Saleen spoiler. All of the Revell issues of the GT vert 'Lowrider' use the 1989 convertible as their base (correct seats and wheel) in evidence by the wheels (15" Turbines), seats, and steering wheel.

#25 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:43 PM

Ah... forgot all about the Lowrider version. That and the Monkeemobile were the only two drop tops I'd seen. In fact, I had the Monkeemobile a few years back as a parts donor.

#26 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

One thing was left out, though. One of the three of them is still available. Now I might be biased becaused I mastered the Reliable Resin one, but I think it turned out better than the other two. Is it perfect? nope but until someone else comes out with a better one, it's probably the best available.

No disrespect Darin , but you miss the point. Depending on what the builder wants to build it really might not be any better than the AAM. body.

I know that this probably sounds harsh, to you, and I am sure you look at the Mustang LX coupe with a certain (justifiable) pride. Possibly you may even think I am being judgemental, or hurtful.
I am not trying to be mean, however. The simple fact is that it's quite off. in certain aspects.
The rear quarter windows being different shapes and sizes for one.

I think that if you sit back and remove the fact that you made the master and look at it objectively, you would understand...
Would you want to buy a resin body from ANY caster that was different side to side?
I don't believe you would. Fact is I believe you have complained about that very thing, in the past, or/but maybe that was someone else?

The simple fact that it may or may not still be available does not in it's self make it worth buying. (Is Don still around?)

Case in point...
Posted Image

Again nothing against you personally,Darin. I really do think you're very talented just that the Coupe may have missed it's mark.

Oh, and since we're on the subject and by the way... To anyone who may read this... there was another Mustang Lx coupe produced in resin, in very limited numbers from what I understand.
You can call me crazy, but I'd like to get one. So If anyone has one please contact me.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#27 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:18 AM

Darin not bashing your involvement in the Reliable Coupe. Don himself made it a target for us FOX guys by calling it 'The only CORRECT Coupe on the market'. The coupe you worked on and he offers is the best so far, but isn't 'correct'. I appreciate the involvement in trying to correct some of the massive flaws in those attempts that came before your shot.

As to the appeal; just police cars? C'mon Darin, every Mustang racer and his hilljack brother are clamoring for the FOX coupe as they are silly light, rigid, and versatile as all holy heck. I can't tell you how many I have seen with LS-X swaps (which personally makes me throw up in my mouth, hench the reference to hilljack brother) at the drag strip. These ARE the 32 Ford for this generation. Not just my opinion, but dang close to un-arguable fact.

#28 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

Darin not bashing your involvement in the Reliable Coupe. Don himself made it a target for us FOX guys by calling it 'The only CORRECT Coupe on the market'. The coupe you worked on and he offers is the best so far, but isn't 'correct'. I appreciate the involvement in trying to correct some of the massive flaws in those attempts that came before your shot.

As to the appeal; just police cars? C'mon Darin, every Mustang racer ...are clamoring for the FOX coupe as they are silly light, rigid, and versatile as all holy heck. I can't tell you how many I have seen with LS-X swaps ... at the drag strip. These ARE the 32 Ford for this generation. Not just my opinion, but dang close to un-arguable fact.

Well said, Brad. One thing though, Reliable has to this date NEVER offered a police package for this car as far as I know.
drag packages yes, but not a police package. The Only build of this car,that I could in fact find ( with an internet search ) was a drag car.

Now I will also admit that I have no interest in the subject and always questioned the appeal of the LX coupe for anyone not building police cars. I never even asked for a copy of the production kit....

Thanks Darin, this explains to me more then you know.

#29 MikeMc

MikeMc

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:19 AM

http://www.madmodeli...79muscoupe.html

#30 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:46 AM

I have Kris's(M.A.D.) kit an it sure looks right to me! it practically FELL into place with the kit parts. If you want a ACCURATE 25th scale Mustang LX coupe, M.A.D. has watcha want! :D ;)

#31 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

keep in mind that the only version of Monogram's GT convertible to come with the Saleen rear wing was the High Performance Series kit. pretty sure that's an '89 in that issue/box. that issue too is the last time that the turbine wheels had open cooling slots, later issues with those same wheels have filled cooling slots and some hateful sink marks instead.

No, the black convertible, also has one.

i have the MAD '79 coupe conversion and it's pretty nice. there has been some discussion before over some small issues it has as well as far as accuracy too. it's pretty obvious though that a lot more time and effort went into that conversion than anyone ever put into the later '87-'93 style coupe body.

Anyone... Ever ...Rrrreallllyy?
I think I may resent that remark just a little bit.. (LOL)

In any event, I was trying to find some completed cars to compare completed builds to see how they look. I stumbled upon Tim Lewis's Fotki. It's my belief that out side the original resin caster, Tim has probably seen and built more copies than anyone else.
Check out his fotki there is some amazing work in there....
http://www.fotki.com/outlawdragracing

Edited by Abell82, 14 September 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#32 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:13 AM

one of Tim's LX coupes was done by Bill Stillwagon as a "one off" and it was really good, no suprise since Bill did it.

i think the rest of them are RR's coupe

if you look at the side belt trim you can tell which are which. It's about a 50/50 mix, There is even a Mad 79 coupe converted to "aero" nose spec.

#33 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:24 AM

I'm just messing with you Dave.

I think that was this one....? (Edit: it was definitely this one.)

Posted Image

Edited by Abell82, 17 September 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#34 MustangDreams

MustangDreams

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Full Name:Marty Peterson

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:29 PM

How about a new Mustang LX Notchback? :lol:
Posted Image

just a Idea.

Edited by MustangDreams, 17 September 2011 - 01:32 PM.

#35 george 53

george 53

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts
  • Full Name:George53

Posted 17 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

well it'sa GOOD one! :D ;)

#36 Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts
  • Location:Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!!!

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:45 PM

Jason, I know it is the "wrong" scale for you, but do you have M.A.D.'s '79-82 coupe body? The MPC Mustangs look more "correct" to my eyes, especially in the beltline area where the Revellogram appears to be a bit heavy.

#37 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:12 PM

Jason, I know it is the "wrong" scale for you, but do you have M.A.D.'s '79-82 coupe body? The MPC Mustangs look more "correct" to my eyes, especially in the beltline area where the Revellogram appears to be a bit heavy.

Yes, M.A.D.'s 79-82 is VERY nice.

#38 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

How about a new Mustang LX Notchback? :lol:
Posted Image

just a Idea.

Reminds me of a 2dr Chrysler 300. I like it.

-MJS

#39 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:09 AM

I have the M.A.D 1979-82 Coupe conversion.....looks good (I have to straighten mine though, as the body started to warp and the lower sills bow inward quite bad) and the quality/finish of the cast is very nice.

The 87-93 Coupe that was pictured above was converted from an AMT (Ex-MPC) 1987 GT. I can't remember who did the conversion, but I have seen these 1/25th scale bodies going for over $100.00 on E-Bay (yes, the 1/25th 87-93 Coupes are REALLY rare pieces).

#40 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,191 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

Compared to the dreadful Mustang II, the '79 definitely was a huge step forward design-wise.

For the notchbacks, I always thought the '85-86 was the best looking...I didn't like the bland headlights and taillights of the '87-93 LXes. I had an '86 LX notchback in college, but it was just a 4cyl. I still enjoy my '87 GT, but it definitely looks dated now... a memento of the big 80s, of when I had hair.. :)

I never got into the SN95 generation, but I do like the '05-09 and '10+ generations... I think I want one of the new 5.0s for my next fun car..maybe the Boss 302 version.

Edited by Rob Hall, 19 September 2011 - 10:43 AM.