Resin Mustang Lx's a Comparison and Review thread.

resin mustang Mustang LX Mustang Resin Lx coupe

• You cannot reply to this topic
162 replies to this topic

#41 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts
  • Full Name:Charles Donald Eric Richard Jules Kasim Most

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:45 AM

i thought that the "ugly" response post was aimed at the new coupe posted above or the Cougar thing, maybe i missed where it was directed at the Fox coupes?

either way, what someone views as ugly is thier opinion and we all have our tastes, as different as they may be. personally i like the coupe or notchback body style the most out of the 3 that were offered. i do think too that the hatchback is the most useful of all the body styles because of the hatchback and the folding rear seats. anyone who's had a coupe can tell you that the trunk is just about useless in those cars.

If a guy thinks its ugly, he thinks its ugly. I can dig that.

Personally I don't like the hatchbacks (which is one of the reasons I opened this thread to begin with). And I hate the GTs... the thick rocker cladding and those 'cheese grater' taillamps... ugh!!!! I think the notch is a much better looking car than the hatchback. I've actually been toying with getting the RR body. Is it perfect? No, but it sounds like ALL the alternatives are equally flawed. Unassuming burgundy paint, black steel wheels and a built SBF crammed under the hood! The fact its a notch seals the 'sleeper' deal.

#42 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

As the owner of a real 1:1 ugly coupe, I really couldn't care less what he says.

-MJS

#43 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • Full Name:Bradley Emery

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:47 PM

My first FOX was an 88 Notch..........I miss that car and will have another in my stable before I check out of life!

I am working on a 1/24th 1983-early84 T-Top Coupe body right now. I started with a Monogram 1983 Mustang GLX convertible kit and a Re-issue of the Monogram (now Revell) 1985 SVO, and a lot of scratch-building/kit-bashing. I will also try my hand at resin casting on this as well (mainly for the T5 trans out of the 87-88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe and the double-sump oil pan from the Tamiya 1994 Mustang GT/1995 Cobra R.

#44 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:09 PM

Still haven't owned a Fox Mustang yet, but I can guarantee you when I do finally take the plunge it'll be a notch.

#45 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts
  • Full Name:Jason

Posted 19 September 2011 - 04:35 PM

Maybe a picture would help...
Mustang GT vs 1993 Cobra...
Posted Image

Reliable vs. AAM...
Posted Image

Edited by Abell82, 19 September 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#46 Maindrian Pace

Maindrian Pace

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Full Name:Mike Schnur

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Maybe a picture would help...
Mustang GT vs 1993 Cobra...
Posted Image

The real thing is right in between.

Posted Image

-MJS

#47 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:23 AM

As was stated earlier, the worst part of the 1993 Cobra rear bumper is that it appears to be the GT rear cover with coves for the exhaust pipes filed into it (it isn't, but in all appearances it looks that way). It descends almost vertical, where it should taper toward the front of the car as it recedes from the beltline down to the lower edge. It is also a bit too blocky at its' corners, and needs to be vertically pie-sectioned to be closer to correct. I have done this with the '1993 Cobra to 1991GT' conversion I am doing as my real 1991GT will have the Cobra rear cover. I have also taken a slight cut out of it horizontally to bring its' overall height back in line.

Marty, while cool in design, those would be S197 derivatives, and we are talking about FOX Coupes here. Not even in the same area code.

Jason has made considerable efforts to forward Coupe development in 1/24th scale, and when Revell releases the 1/25th scale, I see the old 1/24th being cast aside by the majority. I will still build them, hope you will too.

#48 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Marty, while cool in design, those would be S197 derivatives, and we are talking about FOX Coupes here. Not even in the same area code.

Well, Jason DID mention something about Marty's design as a Cougar. And the fact that his post 'against' Jason's first post showed more than a litte bit of evidence of him having a sense of humor, and he didn't come right out and tell Marty to get lost tells me he isn't too concerned with the conversation taking a bit of a detour.

#49 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:28 AM

Me either Chuck, and my comment wasn't meant with ill intent. Personally, I like the S197 Cougar idea and would have liked to see Ford do it (too bad they killed Mercury). I would also love to see the Mustang SVO come back, with a base-optioned car powered by the SHO EcoBoost!

#50 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:37 AM

I would also love to see the Mustang SVO come back, with a base-optioned car powered by the SHO EcoBoost!

According to the churning rumor mill, that might be happening, though I wouldn't hold my breath for a 'base-optioned' example of said car. B)

#51 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have heard that as well, Chuck. Just think of it, take the V6 body and interior (or a very base GT), add the Brembo brakes package, the GT500 (or FR500C/R/S suspension group) and install that sexy EcoBoost V6! Makes me all giggly inside thinking about it!

Edited by whale392, 20 September 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#52 niteowl7710

niteowl7710

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts
  • Full Name:Doing the grunt work so the U.S. Postal Service can deliver your mail.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Current issue of Motor Trend has a speculation write up about the 2015 Mustang (with some pretty realistic photoshopping of the current car with what they think it will look like in 2015) that says the SVO name could come back with a 250+HP EcoBoost turbo-charged 4 cylinder.

Edited by niteowl7710, 20 September 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#53 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:44 PM

And there's the thorny issue of 'if' that Revell notchback will ever be released. When it comes to Revell, I have pretty much adopted an "I'll believe it when its sitting on the shelf at the hobby shop" mentality. Maybe I'm being a bit too pessemistic, but given Revell's recent history of either taking forever to release a kit after it is announced or never bothering to release it at all, my hopes of this Revell coupe aren't too high. And I don't even want to get into the 'will it be any better than what's avaialable already' side of things as far as accuracy goes...

Edited by Chuck Most, 20 September 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#54 Rick Schmidt

Rick Schmidt

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Full Name:Rick

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:46 PM

I was really hoping revell would issue the new coupe in 1/24 just because the hatches and verts are still pretty common and a 25th coupe is gonna be outta place. As much as yall might hate me for this but i'd rather see it based on the current hatch or vert kits just for that reason

#55 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:56 PM

I was really hoping revell would issue the new coupe in 1/24 just because the hatches and verts are still pretty common and a 25th coupe is gonna be outta place. As much as yall might hate me for this but i'd rather see it based on the current hatch or vert kits just for that reason

Exactly! Especially since it is completely unlikely that they would ever revisit ANY of there previous releases in anything but 1/24th scale. (Turbo Cobra,Turbo Capri and IMSA cars excluded) Personally I'd like to display all of them together rather then with the MPC/AMT versions.

Edited by Abell82, 20 September 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#56 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

That's why I didn't want to get into the accuracy thing with Revell. Ah, the outcry over the Novas and the '72 Olds still rings in my ears. Given the fact that the Monogram/Revell Fox kits which already exist are flawed, I'll be bracing myself when/if this Revell Coupe is out! :lol:

#57 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

You know, that's the thing though I waited for quite a while, for the Reliable car to come out, and when it did I was sorely disappointed.
I don't want to be let down again. And Revell's track record lately... Personally I'd rather take a proactive approach.

Imagine if Revell used there existing Turbo Cobra or worse the convertible "cabriolet" version as the basis for the "New" LX coupe!

#58 Abell82

Abell82

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:49 AM

WOW. No offense to anyone involved here - But looks like this topic has a one way ticket to Lockville.

My take on this - If the flaws in the master (Darin, that would be referring to you) can be seen by the purists and your heart wasn't in it (You practically admitted that earlier in this topic) you cannot produce the most accurate body. I don't think that picking apart something (Jason, Now I'm talking to you) like you have is warranted either.

As Rabid as Mustang fans are (they are right up there w/ General Lee Fans), they will search out and find flaws & incorrect details. To then simply blow them off & say that you "didn't care for the 1:1" & that the imperfections 'aren't that bad' is like slapping them in the face, telling them to get over themselves and move on. I think they should move on to better things also, but I completely understand why things have been said & how defensive both side are on this topic.

I take no offense at all and completely understand what your saying.
However, if the issues are not addressed, how will they ever be fixed? And for the record I also completely agree with Dave, if it hadn't been so agressively sold as the only "correct" Mustang LX, then it would be a much smaller issue. If instead it had just been marketed as the "New and improved" Reliable Resin Lx...
They made ALOT of promises though, and then fell through. They KNEW what they were getting into, they even say so in the old thread (well they did before the edit job anyway!). AND so I really find it hard to feel all that sympathetic especially when they say "it's the best on the market", So buy it despite it's flaws.

Edited by Abell82, 21 September 2011 - 07:04 AM.

#59 whale392

whale392

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Inaccuracies can be corrected, or worked around, Mike. Some of us (me included) just like to know what we are getting into and share that with others who may be about to take the same plunge.

#60 Chuck Most

Chuck Most

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,266 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

For those in the 1:25 camp, the offical MAD website image and info on the '79 Notch- http://www.madmodeli...79muscoupe.html

I have not yet had the chance to have one in my hands, but I think this is the one I'm getting. It appears to be a pretty complete transkit, its 1:25 (making it more consistent with 90% of my other models), and represents the earlier style nose and taillamp treatment. Nothing against the '87-up styles, I just prefer the earlier designs myself. B)