Model Cars Magazine Forum

2007 Kenny Wallace Furniture Row Chevy (My Best?)

Billy Kingsley

I finished what I believe is my best NASCAR model to date, the 63rd I have completed. This was more diffacult in some aspects then many of my other builds, as it required some elements I've never done before, mainly, masking a curve! I used Phil C.'s method of placing the tape on the decal bag then transferring it, and it worked great! Another thing that I fouhgt with was Revell's crappy plastic. I've never had any issues with it before but now I did...the hood and both sides gave me issues, and they are still noticable in the right light but most of it is under decals or was fixed with the clearcoat.

About the build and decals..It's almost box-stock, with a Modern Motorsports roof cam. The decals are NASCALS/Winscals and I bought these very tentativly...Previous NASCALS decals I had purchased had a God-awfull clearcoat that made them worthless, unusable. I was assured these would not have a clearcoat, but, they did...Luckily, it was not anywhere near as bad as it had been the last time I had purchased a NASCALS decal, in 2004, and as you can see they are quite usable, so much so that I will purchase more.

The decal artwork had some issues though. Oddly, there are no Chevy bowties on it nor is there grillwork. (I ended up painting that) The nose stripes are BOTH shaped wrong, and the curved white stripe that seperates the two colors on the TV panel is too short. Other then that, they were quite usable.

The decals did crack quite a bit, on the black portions. Nothing some black Sharpie didn't fix!

The paint is Model Master Lacquer (MML) Grabber Orange and Honduras Maroon. It seems to match the refrence photos I have of it.

I took almost 50 photos of the model, and you can see the ones not posted here:

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/indi...-kenny-wallace/

Some interesting trivia: This is the first NASCAR model I have ever completed in the year it actually ran.

The build from start to finish took only 7 days. The entire chassis was done in one day, although that took 18 hours of work. The body took three days and decaling took 2.

It is the only Cup car I have decals for numbered 78 and is the first model I have completed since I started my one of every number project that I designated for that project.

It is the first time I have masked off and painted the flat black bits, the cowl, air dams/skirts and spoiler.

It is also the first time I have ever successfully picked out the bolts on the rear and side windows.

As you can probably tell from all I've talked about it, I'm really proud of this one, and consider it my best NASCAR model!

Ref. photo:

78_KWallace.jpg

2007April26th032-vi.jpg

2007April26th033-vi.jpg

2007April26th038-vi.jpg

2007April26th039-vi.jpg

2007April26th040-vi.jpg

2007April26th035-vi.jpg

2007April26th037-vi.jpg

2007April26th034-vi.jpg

2007April26th021-vi.jpg

2007April26th023-vi.jpg