#1 trapper

trapper

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Full Name:craig kohlhoff

Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

hello everyone, iam wondering what most of you guys use for glue on your projects?? i currently use loctite super glue, but ive heard alot of good things about pro-weld. any help would be great,thanks alot

#2 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,759 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:14 AM

Depends on what's being glued. I use Tenax, Loctite thin and gel, Zap-A-Gap CA, Testors liquid, Testors in the red tube, Krystal Klear, and Elmer's.

Edited by crazyjim, 21 September 2011 - 03:15 AM.

#3 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,368 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:59 AM

Like Jim says... it depends on exactly what you're trying to glue together. Different situations call for different glues. I use liquid cement (Plastruct Plastic Weld) for general building, epoxy when I need extra strength, tube glue when attaching small parts that need to be held in place for a while (the thickness of the tube glue holds small parts, like antennas and mirrors, in place as they dry), Elmer's glue for headlight lenses, etc. There is no one single glue that's best for all situations.

#4 VW Dave

VW Dave

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Full Name:Vee Doubleyou Dave

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

There is no one single glue that's best for all situations.

I agree with all of the above statements to that effect.

I use Zap-a-Gap CA for most structural stuff, Aleene's 'Tacky Glue' for a lot of exterior trim, and 5-minute epoxy for chrome parts(because it doesn't fog or deteriorate the chrome like CA). For windows and other clear parts like headlight lenses, I use either Micro Krystal Kleer or Testors clear enamel.