#301 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

Mike, I remember going to Al's Hobby Shop in the early 60's as I rode my bike from Chicago to my aunt's house in Northlake, and then to Al's. And don't forget Hamburger Heaven on North and York Aves. The hobby shop has changed quite a bit since then.

#302 mikevillena

mikevillena

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Villena

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:18 AM

N.W. Suburbs here also. Been going to Al's hobby shop since I was a kid. Raced RC cars for many years all around the midwest. I remember all of the old school local H.S. we used to have around these parts and miss all of them deeply.

It's nice to know that other folks also got into RC cars.  I started racing rc cars at Stanton with my son.  Back then we had a pair of RC10-DS's then we graduated to HPI RS4 Pros. Went out to Leisure Hours to attend the HPI Challenge and managed to win the Concourse Challenge.  Started building and detailing Tamiya's and went to Trackside (Wisconsin) several times to attend the Tamiya TCS races.  Also managed several "Best of Shows".  I still a have an unfinished project sitting in the closet :lol:  Anyway, it's good to talk about RC again.  Had so much fun.  Wish we had a sub forum for it.

#303 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

While I didn't do R/C cars, I did do R/C boats back in the 90's and at the races the nitro smells reminded me of the drag strip. Al's Hobby Shop was a sponsor, and Al himself would stop by at the races, since his sons were racing as well.

#304 MADDOG

MADDOG

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Full Name:Mike

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

It's nice to know that other folks also got into RC cars.  I started racing rc cars at Stanton with my son.  Back then we had a pair of RC10-DS's then we graduated to HPI RS4 Pros. Went out to Leisure Hours to attend the HPI Challenge and managed to win the Concourse Challenge.  Started building and detailing Tamiya's and went to Trackside (Wisconsin) several times to attend the Tamiya TCS races.  Also managed several "Best of Shows".  I still a have an unfinished project sitting in the closet :lol:  Anyway, it's good to talk about RC again.  Had so much fun.  Wish we had a sub forum for it.

I still have this box in my garage....... I wont say what kind of old VHS tapes are currently kept in there. But I loved the car and could not get rid of the box when I sold the car.

I have spent so much time at L.H. over the years.... I do miss it.

Attached Files

#305 BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Full Name:Nick Barber

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Crystal Lake, in not so crooked McHenry county.  and I do my best to steer clear of crook county and I hate when I slip up and end up paying 10 or 11 bucks for a pack of smokes...any body know what clubs and shows might be out in this area?

#306 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

Nick, I thought that I had told you previously that there is a model car club that meets in Crystal Lake on the second Saturday ofd each month, no?

#307 BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Full Name:Nick Barber

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

you did and I accidently deleted the message can you send the info to me again... sorry

#308 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

Don't be sorry Nick, I replied to your PM with the info.

#309 mikevillena

mikevillena

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Full Name:Michael Villena

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

I still have this box in my garage....... I wont say what kind of old VHS tapes are currently kept in there. But I loved the car and could not get rid of the box when I sold the car.

I have spent so much time at L.H. over the years.... I do miss it.

Haha...nice one Mike.  I think those are pretty rare.  Funny thing is I managed to hang onto my electric DS:

IMG_1049_zps1af50e53.jpg

It was an absolute pile of understeering junk and easily the worst RC car chassis I've ever owned.  Stanton used to have a parking lot series and I used it for a couple of seasons until we switched to the RS4. 

#310 hacker joe

hacker joe

MCM Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Full Name:Joe Plunkett

Posted 02 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

Hate to be the bearer of awful news but.......heard today that Als hobbys is biting the dust tomorrow (5-3)  went there tonight but they closed early.  Im gonna try to stop by tomorrow (was told they will be open 9:30-5:30)