#61 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts
  • Full Name:Nick

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

While I've never had pizza from the Quonset, I have been by there many times and there are a lot of great pizza places in and around Chicago. I know people who have left Chicagpland and they really miss the hot dogs and Italian beef sandwiches,so much that they'll take a sack full on the plane on their way back home after visiting here.

#62 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

We'll be going up to Lisle, IL for the ViêtNow national convention in May. The plan calls for hauling 10 - 15 pounds of frozen Portillo's Italian beef back with us. It'll have to go as checked baggage, but that's OK. Maybe a trip over to Winfield for the best pizza - Gianorio's.

#63 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts
  • Full Name:Billy Joe

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:07 AM

Just had Gianario's last weekend Jim, I do like Pal Joey's too though. Haven't had Portillo's in the same length in time though, work isn't right by there like it used to be :(

#64 Agent G

Agent G

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts
  • Full Name:Wayne Gray

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

We were blessed with a true Chicago style hotdog joint just a short drive from the house. When MrsG gets to feeling nostalgic, we have lunch there.

Snow, what's that?

G

#65 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Joe - you dog. I used to live right up County Farm Road from Gianorio's in Timber Ridge. I don't know if it's still there put I put up a flagpole in the backyard so everybody will be able to see Old Glory and the POW/MIA flag.

#66 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

I'm not sure any more Jim, I rarely get the chance to go that way unless it's dark any more.

#67 mikemodeler

mikemodeler

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts
  • Full Name:Classified

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Jim and everyone else that misses the culinary delights of Chicago- there is a website that offers many of the favorites from the Windy City and you can have them shipped overnight to your door. Lou Malnati's Pizza, Portillo's beef and hot dogs,Carson's ribs, Eli's cheesecakes- all ready to ship at TastesofChicago.com.

My last trip home Jim I sent my clothes UPS and brought 8 pizzas and a cheesecake home in my carry on bag! Got some funny looks from the TSA but I was "The Man" when I got home !

I will be back after the first of the year to check on my parents and you can bet I will be bringing home some great food again!

#68 bigmikevee

bigmikevee

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Full Name:Ma-Ma-Ma....Mike Verona

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Springfield here, althought I have not lived there since '78 I do visit from time to time, miss my midwest friends, don't miss the snow. Now I live mere feet from the Gulf of Mexico in Texas, great if you like the water, not great if you hate the rodeo.......or hurricanes..........and man I sure do.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee, 19 December 2011 - 03:48 PM.

#69 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:03 AM

Interesting, Mike. I didn't know you could bring a bunch of pizza onboard. I tried with some frozen Portillo's beef with gravy and it had to go as checked in baggage. Frozen or not - it's still a liquid.

The shipping deal is very expensive. Last time I checked, a pound of Portillo's beef with gravy was around $57 shipped overnight to FLA. Too much. We found a recipe online for Italian beef and make it every so often.

#70 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

Interesting, Mike. I didn't know you could bring a bunch of pizza onboard. I tried with some frozen Portillo's beef with gravy and it had to go as checked in baggage. Frozen or not - it's still a liquid.

The shipping deal is very expensive. Last time I checked, a pound of Portillo's beef with gra!y was around $57 shipped overnight to FLA. Too much. We found a recipe online for Italian beef and make it every so often.

$57 a pound for Portillo's beef? What is it gold? That is pricey!

#71 crazyjim

crazyjim

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:04 AM

I just checked Portillo's website. It's $69.95 for 1 pound of beef, gravy, peppers, rolls with 2 day shipping. I'll wait until I get in May and bring home about 10 pounds and it'll go as baggage.

#72 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I just checked Portillo's website. It's $69.95 for 1 pound of beef, gravy, peppers, rolls with 2 day shipping. I'll wait until I get in May and bring home about 10 pounds and it'll go as baggage.

Wow, yeah I'd wait too!

#73 envious8420

envious8420

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Full Name:me

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Southern Illinois here, Carbondale area.

#74 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

$57 a pound for Portillo's beef? What is it gold? That is pricey!

Hmmmm well, shipping a parishable product cross country in that short of a time period can't be cheap to do. Do they use USPS, UPS, or FedEx?

#75 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,360 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Are you STILL here Harry??? The snow is coming and you'll be sorry!

We had about an inch the other day. By noon it was all gone. That's it so far. Been a pretty mild "winter" so far.

#76 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

We had about an inch the other day. By noon it was all gone. That's it so far. Been a pretty mild "winter" so far.

Yup, and I'm not going to complain one bit :)

#77 Harry P.

Harry P.

MCM Ohana

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,360 posts
  • Full Name:A mere layman...

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

Yup, and I'm not going to complain one bit :)

You and me both! ;)

#78 Joe Handley

Joe Handley

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Should be interesting driving through down town Geneva if we get any heavy snowfalls this winter, I've already that running in full time 4wd in the rain isn't a bad idea when driving through down town.

#79 Guest_Johnny_*

Guest_Johnny_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

Southern Illinois here, Carbondale area.

I used to live over in Johnston City 1983-1992 now up in Bradley.(next to Kankakee) When I wasn't driving truck worked for a VW repair shop just outside JC.

#80 High octane

High octane

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

Are YOU ready Harry, the snow IS coming! LOL!