#1 h3ae86

h3ae86

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Full Name:Harold Guinter the 3rd

Posted 29 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

I plan on doing a shop truck and would like to to try out a little weathering. I'm going for a daily driver look a truck that's used hard everyday but is well taken care of. just simple stuff I guess. What would I need, and how do I go about weathering?

#2 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:30 AM

Harold, with weathering you can go from mild to wild in one fell swoop of the airbrush or rattlecan. Subtle is always better!

Also, the little details go a long ways . . . a torn seat, oily engine, some dust, some rust streaks . . . etc., etc., etc., just have fun and enjoy the process.

#3 Foxer

Foxer

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,052 posts
  • Full Name:Mike DeRagon

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

do a google search for rusty truck :) You'll see lots of ideas for subtle weathering. Then, buy Cranky's book! :)

Edited by Foxer, 30 September 2011 - 05:22 AM.

#4 Jantrix

Jantrix

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts
  • Full Name:Rob Mattis

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

Some washes of acrylic craft paints are a great place to start and very forgiving if you over-do it. Add some baking soda to the wet paints if you want some texture for wheel well dirt accumulation and/or rust.

#5 Art Anderson

Art Anderson

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:12 AM

A very good place to start would be to have camera in hand, look for "weathered" vehicles. Take the time to see just how road grime gets on a car or pickup, With winter coming in another 6-8 weeks in the northern states of the US, such observations should be easy to make,

Art

#6 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,421 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:59 AM

Sometimes it's the little details that will make it a good candidate. A torn seat, a little fogged paint around the inside of the windshield. A change in panel color . . .say a panel done in primer, etc . . . but yes, your best bet is to drive around with your camera, like Art suggests, and take photos of real ones you see.