Can I airbrush over a body/part allready painted with spray cans?

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 RickRollerLT1

RickRollerLT1

MCM Avid Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Full Name:Richard Manri

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

Say I gots me an cheapie aribrush at some point, and if I didn't like changeing/cleaning out the bottles for different paint applacaitions 'cause it takes too much time, or whatever. Would I be able to first paint the body/items by spray can, then apply custom color appilaction OVER the body/part painted with the spray can? Hopefully that shouldn't cause too much problems such as cracking or lifting (other paint fourmula types may prolly have a play in that factor)]

While we're on the topic of airbrushs, i'd like to ask a few more questions:

Is the Testors Aztek airbrush any good? Or should I skip it and get an Iwata or something better? Because AC Moore had the Aztek airbrush $160, and if it's good i'll pick it up someday @ half-off w/ a coupon.

Also, do they make replacement aribrush bottles incase I lose mine, or if it breaks or can'tgetitopen.

Edited by V-spec, 30 September 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#2 Psychographic

Psychographic

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Full Name:David Gilmour

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

The application has nothing to do with what you use to apply it, it has to do with what type of paints you are talking about. Urethanes, Laquers, Enamels or Acrylics?

You will learn very quickly that not cleaning an airbrush after using it WILL eventually bite you where the sun don't shine.

I would suggest a Paasche VL kit or an H for a beginner, although personally I think single action airbrushes ( the H model) are a waste of time unless you never intend to do more than use it as you would a rattle can. These two Paasches are pretty much bulletproof.

#3 scalenut

scalenut

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Full Name:Andy Hobbs

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:05 AM

cracking and lifting usually have to do with uncured primer,paint, or lack of adhesion.
I prefer spray-canned primers over airbrush-able primers.

you can get replacement bottles for any of the name brand airbrushes

as far as.. "better iwata".... the best airbrush, is the one you can use the best.
there are a lot of great AB's for less money starting out.. once you have tried a couple than you will be able to feel what makes the Iwata better...
I think everyone can benefit with a Paasche H in their arsenal.. It's great to have for quick spraying down basecoats, clears and super easy cleanup... instead of pulling out their higher end AB everytime for those situations.