da Big Kahuna

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,439 posts
  • Full Name:Gregg Hutchings

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:15 PM

XL? You Sure?
:-)
On the sprint car tires, and this is my thoughts, I think that before, when the Monogram Sprint cars first came out, guys went nuts for the right rear tires to use in Street Machines.
now, with all the new kits with nice treaded wide rears, that is no longer a need.
But, for the purist, I think they would like them for other dirt racing projects.
Like the new kits being released under Model King and Dirt Track Race Cars.

I have a question off subject on die-cast bodies/paint
A lot of my Franklin Mint and CMW models are starting to go bad, looks like from the inside deep in the paint outwards.
Like bubbling coming up.
Have you seen this up there or in other areas?
Is it a problem just in high humidity areas like here?
Am I SOL?
LOL

#22 George Bojaciuk

George Bojaciuk

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:58 AM

Early FMs (as will many early run diecasts) will do this and yes, heat and humidity will accelerate the process. During the tumbling process, a solvent is used. It gets deep into the pores of the model. If not cleaned properly, which was the case, this solvent tends to leach out over time. It opens the pores further and causes the metal to go funny. It's like aluminum oxidizing. A few years ago, while at FM, I had addressed this with an engineer and they resolved the issue with proper cleaning of the Zamak. To avoid this issue, its a good idea to put a coat of wax on a model. Let is sit out for about a month, then wax it. Working with GMP and Meguiar's we developed a Care Kit. The wax seals the paint and prevents any issues from "popping" up. For cars that have this problem, you can try polishing the area. If it is too deep, the paint will blister off. Then, the only solution is a repaint. I have a friend who does this for a living. Later cars should have this problem resolved. I know that the Maroon '41 Lincoln is notorious for this and it starts as fine paint distortion. This is a great stage to stop it. Hope this helps. BTW, if you personally need a Care Kit, Gregg, let me know.

#23 Gregg

Gregg

da Big Kahuna

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,439 posts
  • Full Name:Gregg Hutchings

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

That actually sounds like a great article.
I would like to see and try the Care Kit.

Get me thinking on future projects
But tearing apart that gorgeous Alfa roadster may cause me ulcers

#24 gowjobs

gowjobs

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

I've been using the 1:18 Vintage sprint car wheels sets with great success as 1:16 scale hot rod wheels. For those that don't know, they come in a set with two wide rears, one medium rear, two tall, skinny rears, two skinny ribbed fronts, and one small asphaly front tire, all with tampo-printed Firestone logos and mounted on pin-dive Halibrands.
Posted Image

Okay, this one is a 1:24 characature with 1:18 and 1:16 parts
Posted Image
Posted Image

A set like these would be great to have in 1:24... or a set of eight vintage drag wheels/tires: Narrow pie crust slicks, wider early wrinkle-walls, 15" skinny fronts on spindle-mounts and 18" super-skinnies for altereds and top fuel cars.

#25 George Bojaciuk

George Bojaciuk

MCM Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 11:46 AM

I presented the wheel and tire selection to GMP and we'll see where it goes. I'll let you all know when I hear something definitive. The Sprint car tire sets may be available as GMP did do a series of older cars. I had a car a while back and the tires were pretty nice. I'm also looking to keep the suggested price under $10 per set of 4.