Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Community Build

Chuck Most

And for now I'm using the big block from the corvette kit . They aren't in the photo but even the inner fenders fit really nice !

5.jpg

And finally , here's the underside showing the shortened chassis . It's pretty basic which made it easy to narrow the suspension . You can also see the corvette rocker panels inside of the Metropolitans . This was to locate the chassis and also to mount the sidepipes , using the outer panels as covers .

The photo is distorting things , it really isn't twisted like it looks .

6.jpg

Edited by TooOld

OK, she's done! The rims were epoxied in place, the interior and body are now one, and the chassis and body are glued together. Here's the last progress pics, the rims with their brake rotors in place, and a pic of the front and rear, along with two completed shots, enjoy!

75Matador247-vi.jpg

75Matador248-vi.jpg

75Matador249-vi.jpg

75Matador250-vi.jpg

75Matador253-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Mike , I've been working on mine the last couple of weeks and I just fit the pieces together to take some pictures .

There is still quite a bit of body work to do , and I'm going to replace the side molding using a smaller size 1/2 round rod . I also want to get the ride height lower than it is .

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Everything else fits pretty good , still need to work on the inner door panels .

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

That's about it for now . If you have any suggestions , let me know before it's too late !

Thanks . BOB .

I've hit some speed bumps lately, but managed to make some progress on the AMX GT. After looking at pictures online for a few hours, I decided the rear "hatchback" area need some additional thickness, so I added some more styrene around the rear window opening...then filed away too much on the left side of the opening. <_<

I also opened up the left rear quarter window opening to match the near-finished right side, so at least that went well. A coat of high-build primer helped me see where more bodywork was needed, so I sanded some more and decided to start the rear wheel flares using some styrene strip. I think I may need to enlarge the wheel openings again, this time remembering to account for the thickness of the strips. :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, I'm calling this progress for now:

GT82012.jpg

I will have to work on that, photo posted is a scan of a 20 year old photo. I still have that Gremlin though...I actually plan on adding some better finish detailing.

The rear window of the Gremlin is now the windshield, there is a flat-4 in the original engine compartment, the fender flairs are from an 80's Dodge charger kit.

odd you should mention Deora, I used the frame & interior platform in this bash.

here are a few more new shots, it's in a rough condition due to being in a box for 3 or 4 house moves but someday it will arise better than before.

gremlin02-1.jpg

gremlin03.jpg

gremlin04.jpg

gremlin05-1.jpg

gremlin06.jpg

gremlin07.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Edited by blunc

Thanks Mike, it was mostly done over ten years ago then I got to looking at it and thought to myself that it needs...something else to make it look "finished".

So I started partial disassembly and that's where it stalled, and a few moves later some additional parts got knocked off.

I snapped the chassis back in and popped the wheels on so you guys could get an idea of it's potential.

This project started because I had run out of fresh kits and started drawing on the box art of a kit I had picked up fo a couple bucks on clearance at a drugstore, the rest is kitbash history.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been about three weeks since I worked on my Metropolitan , so yesterday I spent a couple of hours cleaning up the body . I reworked the wheel openings to be more uniform , and I replaced the side molding with a smaller size 1/2 round rod . Overall it looks a lot better now .

The interior , chassis , and engine are basically finished , so I'm getting ready for paint . Shouldn't be long now .

17.png