#41 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts
  • Full Name:Virgil "Doctor Cranky" Suarez

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

I just got two in the house, and I opened one long enough to see that they've cleaned up the kit quite a bit. I like the white plastic. I gotta do something with one shortly.

#42 Rob Hall

Rob Hall

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,226 posts
  • Full Name:Robert Hall

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:22 PM

I'm wondering how the stock or custom wheels and tires from the last '50 Ford truck reissue would look, even w/ the scale difference...

#43 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:08 AM

Looking deeper into the kit, the usual fit issues, flash, etc are still evident, but nothing that will prevent this one from building into a nice model.

#44 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

howzabout the chrome reverse wheels and wide whites from the Revell Merc? i love those, but finding the right build to use them on is problematic.

#45 Dave Darby

Dave Darby

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Full Name:Dave

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

howzabout the chrome reverse wheels and wide whites from the Revell Merc? i love those, but finding the right build to use them on is problematic.

I think they would be even better on this truck than in the Merc kit they came in, because the larger lug bolt pattern is more in scale with the truck than with the Merc. Great idea.

#46 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

Parts is parts.

#47 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Full Name:Mark fulmore

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

the new revell 48's single bar flippers and printed white walls seems like a no brainer for this kit.

#48 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Indeed!

#49 gpugh1976

gpugh1976

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts
  • Full Name:Greg Pugh

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Here is one that I've been working over on/off for the last 10 years. I just tinker with it when I'm in the mood.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#50 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:01 AM

looks fantastic.

on a slightly unrelated note, cana nyone tell me if the bedsides for revells 56 Ford truck are separate from the fenders? and if the fenders for amt's 50 chevy are separate from the bedsides?

#51 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:27 AM

You sure have done some nice work to it. Hope you finish it, it's going to look very cool!

#52 plasticbutcher

plasticbutcher

MCM Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Full Name:Rick Bowerman

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:57 AM

looks fantastic.

on a slightly unrelated note, cana nyone tell me if the bedsides for revells 56 Ford truck are separate from the fenders? and if the fenders for amt's 50 chevy are separate from the bedsides?

Mark, yes the fenders are separate on both trucks,

#53 MachinistMark

MachinistMark

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

excellent. ill be able to build the jack calori truck

#54 jaymcminn

jaymcminn

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts
  • Full Name:Jason McMinn

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

And tell me if this doesn't give you some ideas....

Posted Image

http://www.fastlaner....com/40ford.htm

Hmmm, the latest issue of the '58 T-Bird has those Holiday caps...

#55 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Those are nice indeed!

#56 bigphoto

bigphoto

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

If you want a modern (and much better detailed) chassis, one from any Revell '37 Ford kit _ sedan, coupe or cabrio _ will fit essentially without modification. This swap also will provide you with a Corvette IRS, Mustang II IFS and a means of putting a small-block Chevy under the hood. If I was doing this swap, I'd try to grab the latest issue of the of '37 coupe, which has a well-done TPI intake setup for the SBC, to use as the donor kit.

Sacrelidge!! :P
Use the 37' Ford truck chassis!!

#57 Craig Irwin

Craig Irwin

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

My LHS had them in stock today.

#58 Dr. Cranky

Dr. Cranky

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,422 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:41 PM

Yes, they are out in most places.

#59 Longbox55

Longbox55

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • Full Name:Bill Burmeister

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Just picked up this kit the other day, so here's a quick reveiw of what's the same, and what's been changed from earlier releases.
Posted Image
Here's what's in the box.
Posted Image
For those who have built this kit in the past (this will be my 4th one), there's no major suprises. I only saw flash on 1 tree, and it was minor.
For those unfamiliar with this kit, it is a reissue of an old Monogram tool. This version is essentially the same as the last few reissues. The chassis is typlical Monogram, simplified, easy assembly, but still reasonably accurate. The suspension is stock transverse spring, with a drop axle and 4 bar setup on the front. Rolling stock are still the same Centerline 10 hole/ARE Outlaw style wheels from the last few reissues, but the tires are no name with smooth sidewalls. The fronts are the tires from the Nova kits, rears appear to be the old Monogram Goodyear Radial GT tires that were used in most of their musclecar kits, but with the sidewall markings removed.
The engine is a Flathead V8, with molded on exhaust, starter, distributor, and transmission. The heads are finned aftermaket peices. The intake is a 3 carb, using what appears to possibly be Stomberg 97s, though they may be Holly 94s. The heads and intake system are chrome. Other underhood details include a 2 peice radiator with a 2 peice crhome upper tank, a chrome Beehive oil filter, and 2 chromes upper radiator hoses.
The body is now molded in white, rather than the red of the recent issues. Fitment appears to be good. The kit still retains the louvered hood and tailgate. The stakes for the bedsides are also still present. New to this kit is a tonneu cover for the bed, I beleive this part to have been restored to the kit, as I have seen a past issue with the same cover. no changes on the interior, it's still has the diamond pleated seat and door panels, along with the pleated headliner. Engraving looks very good.
Posted Image
The decal sheet is all new (sorry for the blurry pic, not sure what happened). Included are a set of flames, wood decals for bed and stakes, separate "chrome" skid strip decals, whitewalls for the tires, Ford and V8 scripts in black and white, guage faces for both round aftermarket style gauges as well as a stock style guage panel, 2 California license plates (1 vintage, 1 current), and a set of door/tailgate/ front license plate decals for "Motor Junkies Speed Shop".
Overall, it's nice reissue of an very good kit, possibly one of Monograms best automotive offerings in 1:24 scale. Would have been better if the wheels had been changed to something more in line with current rodding trends (steelies w/baby moons or perhaps vintage Halibrands), and perhaps adding stock type non louvered hood and tailgate.

#60 62rebel

62rebel

MCM Ohana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

this was the one kit with opening doors and raisable windows where those features worked well LONG after the kit was done. i'm going to grab one or two before this issue ends.